IGNORED

Intellivision video mod - who has one?

5-11under

I've got the BeesLife one too, tried it yesterday : http://www.beeslife.com/video_mod/video_mod.php

Result was initially poor as there was a lot of noise around the edges, and also the words on the title screen were unstraight, actually waving a little; there was also a fair bit of vertical ladders too. I tested on an old (10 years old approx) 14" television via a SCART connection with composite input. Then, I cut the video wire between the wire I soldered there for the mod and the RF box, and the image was far better - stable letters, far better on edges, vertical ladders still there but not so bad. Cut off the other 3 wires to the RF, same result.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

The good news is that I should have an Intellivision or two in my possession on Saturday (thanks to coleconut). I've got some other things to do before diving in, but I'm looking forward to doing some testing. This may take some time, but I'm hopeful for some good results. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

5-11under

Did this died? I was thinking about modding my Inty III. Looks like beeslife.com is the only one selling them right now.

Hi all,

The good news is that I should have an Intellivision or two in my possession on Saturday (thanks to coleconut). I've got some other things to do before diving in, but I'm looking forward to doing some testing. This may take some time, but I'm hopeful for some good results. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

5-11under

Did this died? I was thinking about modding my Inty III. Looks like beeslife.com is the only one selling them right now.

It's not quite dead, but it's only alive in my mind at this point. I have too many ColecoVision (sorry) projects on the go at the moment. So the short answer is I likely won't be starting this for another year... and then, who knows?

• 1 year later...

pimpmaul69 there is a pic in an earlier post I made but I am not the only one with the ghosting problem. It seems that all the Intellivision mods do it at least the 8bit and beeslife ones with the people I have spoken to.

the one on ebay does it too. it is however the system and not the mod that technically makes that happen. when i installed the one off of ebay, i tested in my system and had ghosting. then i installed in fusheks system and no ghosting. however i had put a new rf unit in his and it had a different board in it, so one of those could be the issue? i am gonna mod mine one day so i can work on fixing the ghosting issue, just haven't gotten around to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I just did this -> eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1810431258901?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=181043125890&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] with relative ease, just needed a few tweaks (which I haven't completed in their entirety)

Great little product, just a long wait as it ships from Turkey (they have very cool postage :-D )

I have some modding experience from other consoles, so I felt it was pretty simple... and pimpmaul is always just a PM away :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well, I just did this -> eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1810431258901?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=181043125890&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] with relative ease, just needed a few tweaks (which I haven't completed in their entirety)

Great little product, just a long wait as it ships from Turkey (they have very cool postage :-D )

I have some modding experience from other consoles, so I felt it was pretty simple... and pimpmaul is always just a PM away :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you ever want to sell an Intellivision II with that mod and your upcoming tweaks, I'd be interesting in purchasing...

How was the quality? Any ghosting issues?

Picture quality was excellent, no ghosting for me, I do have a slight issue where the console fires up to a black and white picture, only occasionally though, that's one of the "tweaks" I was speaking of..

If you have any skill with a soldering iron, and a basic electrical understanding this pre-made mod is the way to go

If you ever want to sell an Intellivision II with that mod and your upcoming tweaks, I'd be interesting in purchasing...

I'll keep that in mind ;)

I have a very minor vertical ghosting problem using RF on my Plasma. It only shows up a faint vertical ghost offset, and it seems to only happen with certain character colors against certain backgrounds. I can usually see some on the title page. I don't care about the graphics having "soft" edges, that is part of the charm, but in games that the ghosting is bad it can be distracting. I used the auto tuner and noise reduction on my plasma, which helps in general but does not remove the ghosting. Does anyone know if there is a way to improve this ghosting somehow, like some RF filter etc?

Just a little update for anyone wary of dealing with an unknown seller in Turkey. He shipped almost immediately and was extremely friendly. My mod should be here by the end of the month (I opted for the slower cheaper shipping). So far so good. :)

• 8 months later...

any progress here. I currently mod an Intellivision and all tried mods have ghosting, vertical noise or simple additional pixels between dark and highlighted objects. Most likely on top of the screen.

So I created my own mod based on experience from other consoles and it works out of the box. Modified it for Intellivision requirements and no ghosting at all. The picture is sharp on my plasma but there are some interference in the back (two waves per picture) not noticeable on dark backgrounds.

It seems the amplifier circuit breaks in case of stress conditions like highlightes areas on screen (space battle). After a while picture is gone. I fixed that by altering some values and also added a trimmer for the brightness.

So picture is ok for a lot of games but failing for Frog Bag (too many highlighted items on playfield). Picture does a little move on edges in that game due to the brightness of the playfield. I saw that on Atari consoles where it went away by doing a better grounding. The noise is there and due to highlighted background visible. If I play pitfall it looks good but the playfield here is not really highlighted so may not lead to a problem like within Frog Bag.

Next try is to use a better 2N3904 replacement and playing with 9V and 12V - my feeling is the noise is from the power supply as the noise is within the 50Hz range. I will also check with a filter IC but do not expect great improvements as Intellivision picture is sharp by default.

Have someone a better solder point for the video signal? Using the HF prepared video signal may be one aspect why it is sooo worse.