IGNORED

1200XL Pizza Box w/detachable keyboard...

Curt Vendel

132 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the 1200XL upgrade kit?

• Yes, if it is no more then $75
    • Yes, if it is no more then $100
    • No way, not buying at all.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Yes! 1450XLD case! Man, ever since I saw that computer in the glossy Atari catalog that they shipped with my 800XL, I've wanted one. I'm not sufficiently independently wealthy enough to buy a real one (plus I'm married... :D )

How many 1450XLDs did they produce? I have never seen one except in pictures; does anyone have one? If not, some people may think it was never made or never existed.

All in favor of ditching the "pizza box" idea in favor of a full blown 1450XLD case reproduction, say "I"....

heheh...

I

(1459XLD!!!!)

I wish someone could find the original molds (600XL,800XL,1200XL,1400XL,1450XLD) like they have for the Jaguar. It would really reduce the cost of making cases.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/159292-hot-atari-jaguar-injection-mold-tooling-on-ebay-now-call-curt/

Did anyone come up with enough to buy them?

I don't know how many were made but I have one without drives. I fixed one for a guy at Atari that was complete, so they're out there.

Bob

Yes! 1450XLD case! Man, ever since I saw that computer in the glossy Atari catalog that they shipped with my 800XL, I've wanted one. I'm not sufficiently independently wealthy enough to buy a real one (plus I'm married... :D )

How many 1450XLDs did they produce? I have never seen one except in pictures; does anyone have one? If not, some people may think it was never made or never existed.

All in favor of ditching the "pizza box" idea in favor of a full blown 1450XLD case reproduction, say "I"....

heheh...

Aye!

The project as it currently stands makes no sense.

Take away the Mitsumi keyboard and the uber-cool chocolate brown/brushed aluminium finish, and your left with arguably the worst basis for an Atari upgrade project. Without some serious modding, the stock 1200 has only 64K so it cannot run many of the latest games, no PBI, an OS that is more non-standard and any other and the worst video display of anything Atari produced. Plus a cartridge port that SpartaDOS, R-Time8 and anything by Parker Bros wont fit into!

I appreciate Curt's efforts here, but the 130XE in a 1450XLD case makes a lot more sense.

I appreciate Curt's efforts here, but the 130XE in a 1450XLD case makes a lot more sense.

I'd rather put an 800XL motherboard in there. Much easier to solder on if you aren't a Metalguy-certified professional solderererer. Plus it's got the "proper" PBI connector. :)

Be nice if it could have some sort of built-in adapter from internal 130XE motherboard routed to the outside (with a ribbon cable or something) to a standard PBI and cart slot, sort of a built-in functional equivalent of the ICD adapter for the MIO.

Nah, I guess that would be too expensive. Slapping an 800XL motherboard in would give you some of those things, but cart slot in wrong place with either for that case.

Ok. The way to go would obviously be to have multiple board mounting "footprints" inside the case.. Thered be plenty of room for this.. Its a huge assed case, if youve ever seen one in person.. Anywayze, All of the external ports could have their connectors made on the adaptor PCB, which would have plugs that went to the appropriate places on whichever board you chose to use.. This would include the cart slot, and PBI. That way, all of the external ports could be in the correct places like they were on the REAL 1450XLD.

This adaptor PCB would also contain the floppy controller and PSU.. It could be made as a big L-shaped board, or two separate boards, but it would occupy the space across the back, and down the left side of the machine.. The XE or XL motherboard would occupy the space to the right-front inside the machine..

The Kit would include the case, itself.. the PCB, and another small adaptor for the 1200XL keyboard..

I'd be more than willing to do all of the PCB and adaptor stuff, if curt can do the actual plastic case.. It would totally rock..

You know, optionally, we could even include a clone of the votrax speech chip that came on the original 1450XLD.. I wouldnt bother with the 300baud modem..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

you mean like this?

new-mb.png

rear view

new-mb3.jpg

its not finnished, and i'm doing this for myself, but i had similiar idea - to put all connectors on ribbon cables, so new board would fit in any given case

to manufacture full-size atari board would be just too expensive for me

• Like 1

Candle.. Why confuse people? That is not at all what I was talking about..

Yes thats a nice pretty Altium Cad picture.. We are all sooooo impressed..

But you missed the point entirely... I guess you could use that board IN ADDITION TO what we were talking about.. But who cares.. You should go make a separate thread for that thing, instead of throwing it in here and adding to the confusion in here..

MetalGuy66... why should i? its not like i'm doing it for anyone except myself, is it?

that little board has idc headers for every connector so they could be placed anywhere inside the case, and this is where similiarity to your idea ends. having said that i don't see a point in continuing this argument

MetalGuy66... why should i? its not like i'm doing it for anyone except myself, is it?

that little board has idc headers for every connector so they could be placed anywhere inside the case, and this is where similiarity to your idea ends. having said that i don't see a point in continuing this argument

Yeah I know... Your idea is kewl in it's own right..

Ya know.. Theres really no way in hell Curt (or anyone else) is gonna remake the 1450XLD case, unless someone happened to stumble apon the original injection molds.. Otherwise, it would cost a fortune to make new ones for a case that size and level of complexity..

I'm just gonna build myself a 1450XLD like beetle did....

Awwww....

You don't have to make a whole 1450XLD. Make a new top or an attachment to the top of a 1200XL that fills the same purpose. A 5.25 drive is too deep, so extend the top piece at the back to give you a little room. Or, limit yourself to 3.5s.

Bob

Yeah I know... Your idea is kewl in it's own right..

Ya know.. Theres really no way in hell Curt (or anyone else) is gonna remake the 1450XLD case, unless someone happened to stumble apon the original injection molds.. Otherwise, it would cost a fortune to make new ones for a case that size and level of complexity..

I'm just gonna build myself a 1450XLD like beetle did....

Awwww....

You don't have to make a whole 1450XLD. Make a new top or an attachment to the top of a 1200XL that fills the same purpose. A 5.25 drive is too deep, so extend the top piece at the back to give you a little room. Or, limit yourself to 3.5s.

Bob

Yeah That's not a bad idea.. Just remake the white plastic part of the top case half.. That idea has a TON more merit than a dumb-assed "pizza box" and yet it doesn't represent the collossal undertaking that a complete 1450XLD case remake would require..

Bob, don't you have a REAL 1450XLD case?

You know there's companies that can "3d scan" those pieces and then use the resulting data as the basis for creating a cnc program to machine an injection mold...

I have a bunch of IBM PS/2 keyboards, so it would be pretty cool to have a 'pizza box'. With some new caps for OPTION and such and a 65xxx (so we all could program it) controller, it would be very nice... A slot for a video controller off of ANTIC/GTIA and a slot off of the CPU for PBI. Awesome... Make it such that building a new m/b would be easy. The ultimate upgrade - a whole m/b!

Bob

Awwww....

Bob

Yeah That's not a bad idea.. Just remake the white plastic part of the top case half.. That idea has a TON more merit than a dumb-assed "pizza box" and yet it doesn't represent the collossal undertaking that a complete 1450XLD case remake would require..

Bob, don't you have a REAL 1450XLD case?

You know there's companies that can "3d scan" those pieces and then use the resulting data as the basis for creating a cnc program to machine an injection mold...

I have several IBM model M keybaords.. I use them on my PCs.. They are definitely the gold standard of PC keyboards.. I vastly prefer the 1200XL keyboard over them.. And I can't think of a worse waste of a 1200XL case than to remove the keboard in favor of some pizza box crap.. if your gonna do that, dont waste a 1200XL case at all.. Go get an old sparc station case.. Sun made MANY generations of "pizza box" style machines that you can pick up for pocket change nowadayze.. Just pick one you like, and make your new motherboard to fit it..

I have several IBM model M keybaords.. I use them on my PCs.. They are definitely the gold standard of PC keyboards.. I vastly prefer the 1200XL keyboard over them.. And I can't think of a worse waste of a 1200XL case than to remove the keboard in favor of some pizza box crap.. if your gonna do that, dont waste a 1200XL case at all.. Go get an old sparc station case.. Sun made MANY generations of "pizza box" style machines that you can pick up for pocket change nowadayze.. Just pick one you like, and make your new motherboard to fit it..

Or what you could do is take the 1200XL keyboard and build a case for it, that way you don't have to be without it.

You wouldn't use a 1200XL case if you were going to replace the keyboard. That's what the Pizza Box is for. I already have an Atari in a PC case - Pizza Box would be cooler.

Bob

Oh... you're right.

Well, as long as the original 1200XL parts are not hacked up, no harm done. Drives could be mounted in the 'new' case, which could sit under your LCD screen.

Could we make it a teeny bit taller?

Bob

Bob- curt is talking about just making a top case half to take the place of the top case half of the 1200XL, and thus have a "pizza box" style case..