IGNORED

Atari 5200 or 7800 better graphics?

Stun Runner? 3D? Sure, if you count rad racer and FZero and Top gear (etc, etc, etc) as 3D. Maybe Maybe the tunnels are 3D, the rest is pure 2D. It's a wonderful effect to be sure, but don't confuse 2D for 3D just because it happens to scroll smoothly. :P

And why not count the resolution? 1/4 the resolution means (at least in theory) 4X the sprites (of the same size, shape, color count, etc) can be pushed on screen. I seem to remember the SNES being able to pus around 256 16x16x16 sprites simultanous on screen. If so, it would make sense that they lynx could do 1k at the same 16x16x16

But eh...fair enough. Want a real comparrison? How about something actually on each system? (and on a few others for that matter)

Hard Drivin' Play it on the Lynx, and SNES (and throw in some stuff like Genesis, etc) and see which one is better. True it's not "perfectly smoot" on any system, as it was made before 3D assist chips began making their ways into carts, but even being purely drawn on each system, it's clear which systems are more capable of 3D (even without dedicated hardware)

How about lemmings? Ever wonder why the lynx is limited to 80 sprites? And the Genesis is limited to 100 sprites? Just look at the SNES and you'll see why, as almost as soom as the number creeps over 100 (the SNES tops at 120) the system almost immidiately starts slowing down. Of course, if you want a real show of slowdown, just get all 120 sprites on screen at once and hit selfdestruct (I used to love to do that just to watch how much of a drain it would put on the system when all the particles start flying)

I don't see anything in Robotron 2048 that couldn't be done on the SNES without flicker.

Speaking of that, SNES has a port of Robotron 2084 in the Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits collection. I'm not sure how good the Robotron port is, but it seemed to have some slowdown under an emulator (I'm not sure if it's the game itself, though. Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits seems to be a problem game for some emulators).

There's also an awesome version of Smash TV for SNES. That version has a lot of enemies on screen without slowdown. Total Carnage is on SNES too, but I heard that port isn't as good.

I have played Raiden and R-Type on the SNES and other shoot 'em ups too and they all have flicker and slowdown at some point in the game.

It's true that many SNES shmups have slowdown, but this is partially due to a few of them being early SNES games. Some games like the Parodius games and Gradius III had slowdown in the arcade versions (and Gradius III is also an earlier game). Raiden Trad is just a terrible port. Micronics, a company that did some choppy and buggy NES games, ported it. I'm not sure about flicker, but Space Megaforce/Super Aleste shows that the SNES can do a shmup with very little slowdown.

I'm guessing by R-Type, you mean Super R-Type (which is a remix of R-Type II rather than a port of the first game. The original R-Type isn't on SNES)? Again, this is an early SNES game. R-Type III is much better technically (and I heard it's much better gameplay wise than Super R-Type, as well).

Edited by BrianC

The Atari 7800 has Super Pac-man like the Atari 5200 does.

Here is a video of Atari 7800 version of Super Pac-man in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJRQXvQeuew

I only mention Super Pac-man because I don't know CV Gus knows about its existence for the Atari 7800.

Actually, I've been aware of it for a while now- I even asked which version is better over at the Digital Press, but yours is the best video of the 7800 version I've seen so far, so thanks!

I guess I'll ask the same here. I would assume a slight improvement in visuals with the 7800, but much better sound with the 5200.

Still, to see this delightful game- my favorite of the original four- on the 7800 is something else. If Atari had realized that any potential market for the 7800 was with "first generation" gamers, then they would've scooped up classics for the 7800, and it might have had a firm place with those of us not into the more (for then) games.

But part of my leaning towards the 5200 version is that- what some at the 5200 section cannot comprehend- is that the 5200 is only behind the CV in my collection, which is why it's hooked up. Just push the button, and you can play the 5200 like that.

But right now, I cannot get any such games. It's been a tough year.

• 1 month later...

I don't see anything in Robotron 2048 that couldn't be done on the SNES without flicker.

Speaking of that, SNES has a port of Robotron 2084 in the Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits collection. I'm not sure how good the Robotron port is, but it seemed to have some slowdown under an emulator (I'm not sure if it's the game itself, though. Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits seems to be a problem game for some emulators).

There's also an awesome version of Smash TV for SNES. That version has a lot of enemies on screen without slowdown. Total Carnage is on SNES too, but I heard that port isn't as good.

I have played Raiden and R-Type on the SNES and other shoot 'em ups too and they all have flicker and slowdown at some point in the game.

It's true that many SNES shmups have slowdown, but this is partially due to a few of them being early SNES games. Some games like the Parodius games and Gradius III had slowdown in the arcade versions (and Gradius III is also an earlier game). Raiden Trad is just a terrible port. Micronics, a company that did some choppy and buggy NES games, ported it. I'm not sure about flicker, but Space Megaforce/Super Aleste shows that the SNES can do a shmup with very little slowdown.

I'm guessing by R-Type, you mean Super R-Type (which is a remix of R-Type II rather than a port of the first game. The original R-Type isn't on SNES)? Again, this is an early SNES game. R-Type III is much better technically (and I heard it's much better gameplay wise than Super R-Type, as well).

I think the problem is that 3rd party companies were hiring the wrong type of programmers for the Super Nintendo. Most of them hired arcade and home computer programmers who were more familiar with 68k family, when they were better off hiring the 8-bit NES programmers who were used to 65xx family cpus.