IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

I'm not canvassing anything. I'm trying to offer a suggestion to those who've encountered the bug and would like to see the five minute fix effected some time this year.

Regarding file size: your revisionist take on history doesn't really work here, so try again. A year or two ago I cobbled together something which worked with limited sizes, but it was you who subsequently came up with an "official" version which purportedly lifted that size restriction. So I downloaded it and - guess what - it was broken, and it's still broken today.

So to reiterate: what I'm advocating is a simple fix for the OFFICIAL, FILE-SIZE UNLIMITED, BROKEN FOLDER IMAGING CODE, as opposed to code which lifts the file size restriction in the first place (the latter was added by the author, but is broken).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

AspeQt has been tested (by myself and by others) to work under Windows, Linux and Mac OSX (finally, thanks to helps from Optixx). But user experiences have been spotty at best under OSes other than Windows, Linux is a close second and Mac OSX seems to be the most problematic. I normally work with Windows, so my knowledge of Linux and Mac OSX are very limited.

No offense but in that case you should change this table IMHO so that it at least indicates that Linux and Mac OSx support is "spotty at best".....better to not mention it at all if it doesn't work 100% trouble free....

http://www.atari8warez.com/SIO2PCCompare.html

or are the problems not there when using your SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device ?

By the way, the link to Lotharek's site is wrong on that table.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

I'm not canvassing anything. I'm trying to offer a suggestion to those who've encountered the bug and would like to see the five minute fix effected some time this year.

Regarding file size: your revisionist take on history doesn't really work here, so try again. A year or two ago I cobbled together something which worked with limited sizes, but it was you who subsequently came up with an "official" version which purportedly lifted that size restriction. So I downloaded it and - guess what - it was broken, and it's still broken today.

So to reiterate: what I'm advocating is a simple fix for the OFFICIAL, FILE-SIZE UNLIMITED, BROKEN FOLDER IMAGING CODE, as opposed to code which lifts the file size restriction in the first place (the latter was added by the author, but is broken).

I guess you must have finished working on the pre-emptive multitasking GUI, where can we download it from, I am in dire need to run a few apps together and switch from one to the other in a flash ;)

No offense but in that case you should change this table IMHO so that it at least indicates that Linux and Mac OSx support is "spotty at best".....better to not mention it at all if it doesn't work 100% trouble free....

http://www.atari8warez.com/SIO2PCCompare.html

or are the problems not there when using your SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device ?

By the way, the link to Lotharek's site is wrong on that table.

None taken, I do this for fun and personal satisfaction (just like many of us hobby programmers here). In my long programming career I've never seen a bug free software which is 100% functional, so there is no need for me taking any offence whatsoever as there is no "perfect" software, just look at some of MS ones and you'll see what I mean ;-). If everybody had to exclude their software from comparison lists there would not be too many left to list, if any at all. Bugs and fixes are just a fact of life.

I am pretty sure I checked on Lotharek's website link but I will check it again. (EDIT: Fixed, it was a copy & paste problem)

Edited by atari8warez

Yes indeed, I forgot that it started to apparently be "normal" that half-working software was released as a fully ready product when Microsoft started to become "big".

There is a difference between a small bug and something that is apparently non-functional on anything but windows.

Yes I really appreciate you doing this as a hobby programmer but you are selling a product and list this as a working feature as such. In Holland we'd call this misleading advertizing.

• Like 2

Yes indeed, I forgot that it started to apparently be "normal" that half-working software was released as a fully ready product when Microsoft started to become "big".

There is a difference between a small bug and something that is apparently non-functional on anything but windows.

Yes I really appreciate you doing this as a hobby programmer but you are selling a product and list this as a working feature as such. In Holland we'd call this misleading advertizing.

I guess in Netherlands (or Holland as you put it) capitalism has not reached it's peak point yet.. :grin: I am just kidding of course, but I disagree that it is misleading as AspeQt DOES WORK under Linux, I run it under Ubuntu with no problems (once you get the driver working properly of course). I still don't have a OSX box (will build a hackintosh soon with my surplus Pentium 4 machine), so far I am completely relying on other people's opinion about the Mac OSX success. Optixx was a great help in getting it working in his OSX box, but that does not mean every OSX user was successful. The point is AspeQt is multiplatform and the source can be compiled and run under Windows/linux/osx with little to no change. Having said that, I am not currently the person who will make sure that it does run under each one of those OSes without problems (notwithstanding the LARGE-FILE bug) . Compare that to APE which only runs under Windows and has no chance of running under any other (no source code so noone can do anything about it). Do you still honestly want me to say AspeQt only runs under Windows??

Edited by atari8warez

@Level42: I don't know what makes you think that support for Mac is spotty at best. I have it running here and the only problem I encounter is a relatively high CPU load, but this is not limited to AspeQt, but also occurs in SioServer or SIO2OSX. However, I only use "standard" disk images, but even if other images might not already be fully implemented, I think it's a long shot to say he's misleading. "Selling" open source software is a contradiction anyway. Feel free to contribute rather than to make accusations.

• Like 1

"Selling" open source software is a contradiction anyway.

No-one's saying he's selling the open-source software, but the open-source software's functionality is clearly being cited as part of the feature set of the paid-for hardware. So a chart with all green check-marks under the vendor's system and a lot of red crosses under the others needs to add up.

No-one's saying he's selling the open-source software, but the open-source software's functionality is clearly being cited as part of the feature set of the paid-for hardware. So a chart with all green check-marks under the vendor's system and a lot of red crosses under the others needs to add up.

Right, I don't even distribute AspeQt with the hardware any more, done it once when I first started selling the hardware, but decided against it later. Whoever wants to use AspeQt can do so by downloading it from it's development repository, whoever prefers to run APE can pay for it and for upgrades and have the liberty to use it with my hardware (only with true VCP drivers or with software emulation). This being said, there is nothing wrong with me stating that the hardware is fully supported by the open source software unlike the competing device which can only use it's vendor's proprietary software. This emphasizes that the user of my hardware is not forced to buy a piece of software just to be able to use it's full potential (i.e. achievable speeds limited by trialware). The comparison is not about software but it's about the liberty the hardware provides to it's user by allowing him/her to use free software, something that Atarimax SIO2PC hardware lacks.

In fact this makes me wish that there were similar comparisons for other Atari 8 bit hardware, with so many options to choose from, one really needs to get his facts straight, and there is no better way than a side by side comparison. This is not a rating chart, there are no stars or editor's choices, it just allows a purchaser to make an informed decision.

P.S: if anyone sees a factual error on my comparison list and notifies me, I will gladly fix it.

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

Hmm, I am afraid there is no backwards migration of settings to the previous repository, however, you could just export the registry tree under the key atari8warez.com/AspeQt and edit the *.reg file to change the atari8warez.com to TrayGun Software and merge the *.reg file into registry by right-clicking on the file and clicking Merge (windows 7). This will re-install all your settings under the old registry key.

Thank you for the quick help. Besides the funny discussions here, if it is an important fix or yes - yes it is, at least for me. I just use this great tool to transfer files, even bigger ones in an easy way from the directory of a Win PC to A8 to create e.g. man pages for SDX on the fly or to save bigger A8 files on A8 mass storage. So thank you again for the help.

@Level42: I don't know what makes you think that support for Mac is spotty at best. I have it running here and the only problem I encounter is a relatively high CPU load, but this is not limited to AspeQt, but also occurs in SioServer or SIO2OSX. However, I only use "standard" disk images, but even if other images might not already be fully implemented, I think it's a long shot to say he's misleading. "Selling" open source software is a contradiction anyway. Feel free to contribute rather than to make accusations.

I'm surprised you are seeing high CPU load in SIO Server. To avoid adding noise to this thread, can you PM me these details:

1. What Mac hardware are you using?

2. What OS are you running?

3. What type of USB->Serial adapter do you have?

4. What type of CPU load do you see?

I would expect you'd see no more than 30% of a single core during a long I/O burst. I'm curious about how much of a CPU load you are seeing.

I've used three SIO Server windows to serve virtual disk drives to three connected Ataris at one point, and CPU usage never reached 100% during simultaneous disk access.

@Atari8warez: let's say.....I disagree with you. No problem, I disagree with plenty of people and we can still happily live with eachother.

II still think it's awesome you put all the time in AspeQT and provide it for free.

Now ......I'd like to repeat a question that didn't get answered by others here: am I the only one to experience that drag and dropping files into the AspeQT window very often does not work, but occasionally does ? And note that I experience this on three different computers, one running OSX, one XP, one Win7.1

@Atari8warez: let's say.....I disagree with you.

Sure.

Now ......I'd like to repeat a question that didn't get answered by others here: am I the only one to experience that drag and dropping files into the AspeQT window very often does not work, but occasionally does ? And note that I experience this on three different computers, one running OSX, one XP, one Win7.1

Drag and drop currently only works one way, that is only from the AspeQt Image Explorer, but not into it. It always was that way because the d&d implementation was not 100% completed when I took over maintenance of AspeQt. It is one of the issues I always thought about fixing but never got around doing it :) Having said that, even after fixing the issue, d&d to the Image Explorer window will only work with .ATR images, Folder Images are read-only and you can not drop files into a Folder Image Explorer window.

if the problem is with dropping the image files into a drive slot, yeah there seems to be a problem there, although I am not sure whether this is an API problem or is it something to do with the AspeQt code. The whole process is event driven and the OS is supposed to signal the entry of the mouse cursor into a D&D enabled area of the window. If that signal isn't received or emitted for some reason, AspeQt won't process the drag and drop mounting of the disk image :?

EDIT: Actually this is quite interesting, the video that I posted above shows AspeQt v1.0.0_preview7 compiled with Qt 5.3.2 which I recently installed. I also tried this with AspeQt 0.8.8 (latest official release) and there is NO PROBLEM there, no wonder I have never experienced it before. Which version of the AspeQt are you using ?? Did you compile it yourself? If so which version of Qt?

I have found other problems with Qt 5.3.2, some stuff that worked fine before seem not to work the same way, I may have to go back to Qt 5.2.1

The following is the official release (v.0.8.8 ) which does not have the problem:

Edited by atari8warez

if the problem is with dropping the image files into a drive slot...

It's as well I jumped in there, isn't it, with the rhetorical question "Do you mean dragging an ATR file into a drive slot?". This was a response to:

...am I the only one to experience that drag and dropping files into the AspeQT window very often does not work, but occasionally does ?

...and your subsequent answer which concerned the fact that the ATR image explorer is read-only (i.e. you can drag files out of it, but not into it). But the user reported drag-and-drop behaviour which worked as desired some of the time. How could you interpret this as a bug report pertaining to the image explorer, when said image explorer has no write capability? Did you actually read the question?

...very often does not work, but occasionally does ?

Does the image explorer contain some partially implemented write capability?

Drag and drop currently only works one way, that is only from the AspeQt Image Explorer, but not into it.

Oh right - no it doesn't.

So image explorer write support is on the cards? Will this happen before the promised write support for imaged PC folders?

Hello level42

I didn't know the law in (South and/or North) Holland was different enough from the rest of the Netherlands to specifically mention Holland.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS Here's the difference.

Yeah I always post that video to my international friends.....you should see the one for the UK/GB that makes the one about The Netherlands a walk in the park :)

Normally I very strictly use The Netherlands and not Holland but internationally most people recognize Holland as our little country......so....no idea why I used Holland this time really.....well whatever.....

Back on topic ! :)

• Like 1

@Atari8Warez, yes that is exactly what I am experiencing. Isn't it the most logical thing to do....dragging a file into the box to insert it in a drive slot ? Dragging it out doesn't really make much sense to me, unless you created an ATR that you wand to save or something ?

Going through the menu's to insert ATR's is a PITA IMHO...

I didn't compile anything myself, the last time I compiled stuff was when I wrote Turbobasic programs on the A8 and Kyan Pascal :) As mentioned, I'm a stupid end-user....

The version I use is 1.00.Preview_6

Edited by Level42