IGNORED

Which consolde did you receive as an Xmas gift

ddaniels

Since were getting close to Xmas here is my memory of Xmas as a youth.

Xmas of '80 I was shocked to realize my parents got me an Intellivision. If I recall my dad paid something like $300 for it. I was the most popular kid in school at that time as no one and I mean no one in my class had one although a few friends did have an Atari 2600. Everyone wanted to come over and see it. Fun days.

Xmas of '83 I was once again shocked when I received a Commodore 64 which I also believe costed around $300.

My reasons for being shocked was the price tag these systems carried at that time and considering we weren't rich I really appreciated my parents generousity.

Share some of your Xmas stories

Intellivision II - 1983, but I think I played it once and that's it.

Atari 7800 - 1989 & 1990

Nes - 1991

Genesis - 1992

32x- 1994

Sega Dreamcast - 2001 Got it as a Gift from my younger brother.

Atari Lynx - got it as gift from younger brother in 2005.

Sega Game Gear - Got it as a gift in 2007 from younger brother.

Other game systems I bought myself or I am a co owner of.

It is possible for someone to get game systems as an adult for Christmas gifts. My younger brother is video game player like I am and enjoys retro games.

Edited by 8th lutz

I got both my Atari 2600 and my Sega Megadrive as xmas presents although I can't remember the year.

The Atari 2600 came with Centipede and 2 Joysticks and my Dad also got me Defender 2 and my brother Crossbow which were both excellent games so we were very happy.

My Megadrive came with Sonic and Streets Of Rage which certainly got alot of play.

I can't remember when we got our SNES, if it was on X-mas or not. But these I remember.

1998: Nintendo 64 w/ Goldeneye & Diddy Kong Racing

1999: Gameboy Color (Teal color) w/ Pokemon blue (and Yellow which me and my bro shared)

2000: Playstation (slim model) w/ WCW Mayhem, 007 Tomorrow Never Dies, and others which I forgot

2004: Nintendo DS w/ Spiderman2 & Mario 64 DS

2005: Gameboy Micro

2006: Atari 2600 (A little too late, but better late than never. I enjoyed it greatly)

Most of my stuff, I got either as a handmedown, or bought myself. (anything post 95 I pretty much bought myself)

But in 1993, the SNES had been out a while, but was still really cool. And That christmas, I finely got one, whatever the core unit with Super Mario World in it. I still have it, but it was damaged in a move, (apparently, instead of "smokers yellow" syndrome, mine was really brittle) Still works, but the back half of the shell is busted all to hell. Still got the box and controllers too (though they have been cleaned so many times, the carbon dots are pretty much gone now)

And in 95, I got an NES (yeah, I got the NES after the SNES) I was crazy about Mario, and apparently, they weren't gong to make any more for the SNES, so I got the toploader NES that year, with th MVO port on it (which everyone SWEARS they never had) Still have that, but like a dumbass, I let someone borrow one of the controllers so I only have one of the dogbones...though to be honest, I play with the trtaditional square controllers, their easier to come by, cheaper, and felt more "right" to me. The dogbonse just feel cheap and are to small IMO.

That's about it, though not a console, I did get a computer in 97, I still have that too, with all 4 gigs of HDD space and like a 133mhz processor (I think) Wasn't top of the line back then, but it wasn't the cheapest either IIRC (and in 98, when we got Windows 9*, I got a copy of that for christmas.

I'm in the precarious situation of being in a blended family (and splitting time between mom and dad), so there was at least one Christmas that I got a console as a gift twice in the same year.

1987 - NES at dad's

1992 - SNES at mom and dad's (the SNES at dad's actually was a gift to me from his then-girlfriend. However, I was victimized and he exchanged it for a shotgun that I never used until turning 21. Mom still has the SNES she bought at her place)

I've never gotten a console for x-mas just to me from someone else. Even the 2600 I got in 1980 was purchased as a result of paper route money and a lot of mowed lawns.

My parents and now in-laws have gotten me many games over the years though. Too many to list.

In 2006, my son and I (mostly me) got a 360. We got it over the Wii even though he was only 7. He badly wanted PGR3 which he still plays.

This year, the family is getting a Wii. My son is getting Mario Cart.... I suspect I will probably get one of the rpgs I asked for or something for the 360.

Edited by cybercylon

The years I'm not 100% sure on so this is an approximate, but I can always remember unboxing them!

91' or 92' I think I got an NES with a Super Mario Brothers and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I remember my dad used to play Super Mario Bros. after I went to bed and actually beat the game before I did! My parents gave it away on me after I got my Genesis

94' or 95' I think I got my Sega Genesis which I still have

99' I got my Sega Dreamcast which I also still have

2007 they gave me an Xbox which I unfortunately gave to an ex

Since my birthday is in November, my parents got me a SNES for my birthday in 1991 and an N64 for my birthday in 1996. I have a picture of my sister opening an NES as a present in the Christmas of 1990 for us, but I don't remember that, so I would have to say the NES. Why they didn't get one for us sooner, I have no idea. Maybe the Commodore 64 we had was a Christmas present, I don't remember.