IGNORED

Finish the game, damnit! >:(

Foxy Cleopatra

I just wish these game producers would finish the story and quit setting up their games to have a sequel. Answer all the damn questions, complete the plot, and finish the story already. How many times do we have to play games and be left hanging? Classic example Shenmue II. What a waste ending to a game, the story's not even close to being finished, and there is no hope of ever finishing it. I just finished Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and what was the point of the game? Stupid waste of an ending. :|

Yeah, I (finally) played Mass Effect recently and that's a clear case of a game setting itself up for a sequel. While the ending of Mass Effect was satisfying to some extent, it's obviously just the first chapter in what I'm sure will be an ongoing saga (since Mass Effect 3 has already been mentioned by developers).

There certainly is a lot to be said for standalone games that do not rely on sequels that may never come in order to flesh out their story. This happens all the time with television when a series gets canceled either mid-season or after a season has concluded, sometimes with some type of cliffhanger that is never resolved.

What's bad about this "We'll continue the story in sequels" mentality is that the overarching story hasn't often been completely thought through, which results in a less cohesive narrative as the story "evolves". You see this all the time with television shows (and to some extent, movies).

..Al

One of my favorite TV programs ended in a cliffhanger. I hate that!

Then, too, there's the opposite situation where the game in question was never meant to have a sequel, but it got one. There are also times when more games are produced that "change history". If you played Red Alert 1, you'd think it leads into the original C&C. Then when you play Red Alert 2, there's no mention of the original C&C at all.

I just wish these game producers would finish the story and quit setting up their games to have a sequel. Answer all the damn questions, complete the plot, and finish the story already. How many times do we have to play games and be left hanging? Classic example Shenmue II. What a waste ending to a game, the story's not even close to being finished, and there is no hope of ever finishing it. I just finished Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and what was the point of the game? Stupid waste of an ending. :|

I completely agree with you about the trend of sequel setting games, but in defense of Shenmue, they had always intended for it to be a 3 part game. Things just didn't work out as well as Sega had hoped and they dropped it like a hot potato. The other series like that were the two .hack game series. The first a 4-part game, the other a 3-part game. I bought all of them anyway (Although waited for the prices of each to drop to close to half of what they originally started as!) for various reasons. For the first series, they each came with a bonus dvd. For the second series, I was content enough with how each of the games significantly changed around things like upgrading your class, changing/adding abilities, etc.

I always imagined that Shenmue failed because it was too experimental for the time, and too complex for both the Dreamcast and its audience. Now that every game is like Shenmue but even deeper and more expansive, I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask Sega to roll the dice on a third game. Shenmue was a really expensive production in 2000, but nearly ten years later, its budget would be pretty modest compared to today's AAA titles.

Though I can't say I'd look forward to driving around on a forklift ... for hours again.

Try doing it in real life--It will only make you appreciate that you've only had the opportunity to do it in a videogame instead. ;)

I would personally love to see a part three in the series, though.. Same kind of gameplay with even more modern and detailed visuals.. That would make the experience even more engrossing, I think.

Though, I think I read somewhere that Suzuki stated (more recently than not) that while he would still like to finish the series, he's waiting for the right time and is contemplating making it a different style of game altogether..

Edited by Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond Good And Evil, anyone?

To this day my heart aches for the never-to-come sequel.

Actually Ubisoft is working on a sequel. Check out the Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_&_Evil_2

Now whether it ever gets released or not, only time will tell. But the fact that Ubi released an official teaser trailer for the game (which I viewed at the time, a low-key but goog trailer) is a good sing.

Excellent news. I had seen the leaked trailer, but then heard Ubisoft's declaration that it was on-hold/dead. Apparently I missed their contradicting declarations. :roll:

If it does get released, I hope they include a copy of the original with the sequel. My disc of BG&E isn't working, and I'd love to run through it another time before doing the sequel.