IGNORED

Atari 1010 Program Recorder not working

JonnyBritish

A few months back I bought a Atari 1010 recorder of Ebay described as in as new condition. Well the box was not good but the unit itself did look new. However today I tried to load a program from it (nukewar)

had it connected to the Atari 800 xl using SIO 1

typed CLOAD return on the computer, heard the beep and hit play on the recorder then hit return on the computer. After a few seconds I head the recorder doing something but the tape did nothing. Assuming I did not do something stupid it looks like my new 1010 recorder has not survived 30 years.

Question is are these repairable?

Seems a shame to have a nice unit like this and not be working..it is the Chelco made model.

Does anyone have a field service manual either hardcopy or as a pdf?

Can you buy replacement motors / belts etc?

Thanks!

Hi

I've replaced belts in 1010s. It's pretty much guaranteed that is the problem, it's certainly the 1st place to look. Take the cassette out and hit FF or REW. If the capstans spin try it with a tape - something like a C90. You'll probably see the reels turn slowly and/or unevenly. That's the belt slipping.

If you hunt around you can find belts. I didn't find anyone else who had the exact size but I've used ones that are close enough.

The original dimensions are something like this (sorry for the metric!):

Diameter: 85.7mm

Height: 3mm

Width: 0.635mm

I found an 81mm dia. belt which worked fine.

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi

I've replaced belts in 1010s. It's pretty much guaranteed that is the problem, it's certainly the 1st place to look. Take the cassette out and hit FF or REW. If the capstans spin try it with a tape - something like a C90. You'll probably see the reels turn slowly and/or unevenly. That's the belt slipping.

If you hunt around you can find belts. I didn't find anyone else who had the exact size but I've used ones that are close enough.

The original dimensions are something like this (sorry for the metric!):

Diameter: 85.7mm

Height: 3mm

Width: 0.635mm

I found an 81mm dia. belt which worked fine.

Hope this helps

Paul

fast forward and rewind do not work either

wish i had a field service manual

fast forward and rewind do not work either

wish i had a field service manual

It could still be the belt. It may have even just slipped off. Just open her up and take a look. I'm not sure I've ever seen a FSM for the 1010, although B&C are listing them at $10:

FSA008 1010 FIELD SERV MANUAL 10.00

Edited by spookt

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A few months back I bought a Atari 1010 recorder of Ebay described as in as new condition. Well the box was not good but the unit itself did look new. However today I tried to load a program from it (nukewar)

had it connected to the Atari 800 xl using SIO 1

typed CLOAD return on the computer, heard the beep and hit play on the recorder then hit return on the computer. After a few seconds I head the recorder doing something but the tape did nothing. Assuming I did not do something stupid it looks like my new 1010 recorder has not survived 30 years.

Question is are these repairable?

Seems a shame to have a nice unit like this and not be working..it is the Chelco made model.

Does anyone have a field service manual either hardcopy or as a pdf?

Can you buy replacement motors / belts etc?

Thanks!

Hi Jonny.. Did you ever get that 1010 tape to work? If not,do you want to sell the power supply? i have two that need power.

thanks

The only problem with 1010's is that there exist several types of mechanism.

There are 1010's in which it is rather easy to replace the belt, but there is also a type where it is really a pain in the a** to replace the belt.

I do not like 1010's very much. Have had too much trouble with them. I prefer XC11 ... that's a cool one. And I have a bunch of good working XC12 data recorders.

Next to all my super fast storage solutions, I love the slowness of loading a game from tape. It is great!