IGNORED

How do you store your systems?

wood_jl

I found the ones I think I'm going to get... they're pretty cheap too...

Definitely some of these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8282895&findingMethod=rr

And maybe a couple of these larger ones:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10401038&findingMethod=rr

I'll go look at them at Wal-Mart if it ever stops snowing in the next couple days. These will only be to store my setups that I don't hook up too often like Genesis, SNES, Channel F, and so on. To keep all the cords and controllers together with the system and games.

Answer to the original question:

In the kitchen. Yep, that's right. Ask my wife what's in the cabinet where the post and pans should be and she'll tell you that it's full of controllers. Serious, I have probably three or four arcade style joysticks, one or two steering wheels, a Saturn Twin Stick, about a dozen light guns, and probably twenty or thirty hand controllers (Dual shock, CX-10, etc) in there. It spills over into a plastic drawer or seven that are also full of hand controllers.

Another cabinet has analog cassettes, another has TNG novels and the plastic top of my Atari Game Center, and still another contains bicycle parts. The silverware drawer is full of electronic parts and scrap.

My portables are usually in a drawer (if they're not scattered about) and out of my other systems only the Hyperscan is stored away. Everything else can be hooked up within five minutes or less.

I don't think they make plastic tubs big enough to hold all my systems. One of them weighs 25 pounds! I plan to buy a Halcyon in the future, and I'd like to see a Rubbermaid tub that can hold that.

I have 30+ consoles, but none of them are "put away" :D

Right by the door of my game room is two tv stands, one with a 32 flat panel lcd, with the Wii and 360 (hooked up) via hi-def, and the Intv III on the bottom shelf.

The tv stand next to it has a 24 inch flat scree (older model, not flat panel) with the 7800 on top of it, the dream cast and fc twin on the top shelf of the stand and my nes "game center" on the bottom shelf, and the 5200 (hooked up) on the side of the stand.

Next to the tv stands there is a large bookshelf that houses my boxed Intv II collection (intv ii, ecs, system changer all boxed) my doom collection, and all cd based games. Under the shelf sits my Intv I game center, Action Max, and Sega Gen model 1 with CD and Powerbase converter.

Next is my 3 teir bookshelf housing my Colecovision, Atari 1200XL, and Atari 400 with all their peripherals.

Next is my tall metal shelf with the GameCube, Sega Genesis 2 w/ 32x, N64, Saturn, SNES, and 2600jr.

Next is my table with the Coleco Adam (hooked up) with a little cream colored tv/ monitor I found at Value Village that matches it.

Next is my closet with my boxed C64, printer, and tape drive, IBM 5150 and IBM PS/2.

and FINALLY, I have a Curio Cabinet with my Famicom and FC Disk Drive on display, under the Super Famicom with the Super 8 in it, under that the Famicom Box, and under that all of my SFC & FC games with a plushy Mario :D and of course I have a little end table with all my portables on it.

So of all the consoles, I usually only have about 4 hooked up at any given time.

The shelf I bought is where my son is playing. It's not that clear but you get the idea...

Incidentally, yes the Florida room still looks like shit...

Actually I like it! Thats sort of the theme I was going for in my first game room, I had the walls all black with neon lights and whatnot, but I decided to move it all out of the basement when my sister called me telling me her basement flooded, kinda freaked me out.

That blacklight area rug is sweet though!

I have three systems (Genesis, N64, Retro Duo) in one of those plastic 7 drawer carts from Walmart with three big drawers at the bottom and four smaller ones on top. Each system gets it's own big drawer. There is also a smaller drawer each for N64, SNES, and Genesis games+accessories (NES are in with the Retro Duo system) and another one for portable systems (except my DS, which stays in my purse. The games for that have their own spot on the shelf on the headboard of my bed). I'm eventually going to find somewhere better for portables and move NES games to that drawer.

I have a separate storage case for the 2600 and it's games and controllers since I have an official Atari case. The GameCube is just sitting on the shelf next to my printer under the TV since I wasn't too worried about dust getting into that. The games for that are stored on a DVD tower. The drawer cart sits on one side of the TV and the Atari is on the other. Everything is plugged into power strips behind the TV.

There are also more controllers, cables, and random accessories in various storage units in my hallway.

I don't think I have room for any more systems until I move. I don't even have that much stuff, and I still barely have enough space for it.

The only game system I have "put away" is a black Sega Sports Dreamcast, because I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. Everything else is in my (tiny) living room, hooked up and ready to go. My TV has inputs in the front and back -- I have one of those modern RF modulators plugged into the coax connection, and my DVD player plugged into the composite inputs. Since the RF box has both a coax input and composite inputs, I have the cable for the PS2 (which also works with the PS) plugged into the composite, and the ColecoVision RF cable (with coax adapter) plugged into the coax (and that works with the CV, Intellivision and NES). That just leave the front composite inputs, which are shared by the Genesis, Dreamcast and (for now, at least) the N64. The TI has its own little 15" TV that sits on top of the PEB, on my computer desk.

Now all I need is a box that will let me have both them all hooked up at the same time, so I don't have to swap cables when I change from one system to another that uses the same outputs...

I store consoles in plastic containers. If they are small enough, and loose, I put them in plastic baggies inside the container. Carts... in zip lock bags, in plastic containers. I don't worry about getting my carts CIB. I like to play them. However, almost all my carts get bagged. Except NES carts... I have dust sleeves to help with that. Hard to keep track of everything. And rotating stuff becomes a challenge sometimes.

For me right now its on various shelves around the basement.I would love to set up my collection retail style.I'd put t-shirts,jackets on carousel holders,games in display cases,etc.I never did store my loose games in plastic bags,just as is on shelves,boxed and loose.My consoles I do however store in big plastic bags.I have 4 of those Video Game Centers with the lid,and have 4 of my better like new consoles inside those which are stacked in the corner with a thick blanket in between as not to crack the plastic.As for the consoles set up now:7800,ColecoVision,Intv,i just leave them there in front of TV and put a custom port cover on the consoles that need them like the 2600,7800,to keep dust,liquids out.

Edited by Rik

Just recently moved. Before, all my systems were hooked up at once, but since the move, I've only hooked up a couple. The rest are just sitting on a shelf at the new place. But all the accessories and stuff are in a big blue plastic drawer thingie... separated by generation. So, NES and SMS stuff are in one drawer, the next holds SNES, Genesis, and TG-16 stuff, the next Saturn, Playstation, and N64...

The games were/are similarly housed in a cabinet with doors that close. It was made for DVDs or music, got it at Target in the electronics section. But it holds games nicely, although it's a little small for the entire collection, so it mainly holds games that I don't play as often. The games I play more frequently are in a different shelf unit.

I went to Walmart and bought several 18-gal Rubbermaid tubs, and loads of plastic ziplock bags - the kind with the little zipper tab you can grab. Sandwich-sized, quart-sized, and gallon-sized.

I've been putting stuff in each tub "by system" and if there isn't enough stuff to fill a tub (like gameboy/gamecube) I try to put related stuff together (like gameboy/gamecube!).

The bags (in each tub) are for grouping stuff, which used to be a huge jumble. Video cables and S-video cables in sep. bags, etc etc. Man, no wonder I hardly got this stuff out in the past. Sometimes smaller bags of adapters/etc inside larger bags, but you can see them!!!

Each tub gets a large number or letter, and a detailed log of what's in each tub on the computer, and as well, printed out and thrown in several tubs so it will always be easy to grab one if you're in the storage room and not at the PC. If you throw something "oddball" in you can edit the WP file on the PC and know which tub to dig in.

It's only been a day, but this seems to work better. I think the Rubbermaid tubs are excellent. 18gal seemed a nice size for game collections. Some take 2 tubs, but I think the larger ones would be heavy and cumbersome to dig through.

Collection - as it has grown - has become more organized in phases:

phase 1: Random boxes, cords untied and tangled in rat's nest.

phase 2: Rubber band all the cords, move to "file" boxes because they will stack neatly. Too small, and bottom of stack crumbles under weight and spills.

[now]

phase 3: Rubbermaid tubs and LOTS of clear plastic bags, labeling system

phase 4? I can only wish for something like this (from the show us your collection thread): [this is a must-see]

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155779-save2600s-arcade-gameroom/

edit: still potential problem: If you have piles of controllers with analog sticks, and you don't want them being stored with tension on the stick, must position very carefully. One of those plastic drawer things may help, but would like this all in tubs that look the same. Hrrmmph!

Edited by wood_jl

Uhh..

They are everwhere!

- My Genesis model 2 is under my workbench in my room along with my Flashback 2 in boxes. Controllers for said systems are also in the boxes.

- My Vtech Socrates in on a small shelf under my Workbench. My huge brick that is my Socrates controller is somewhere in my room.

- My main DS Lite is on my work bench on a pile of stuff. My other DS Lite which I use to charge batteries in right snug next to my computer in the Kitchen. (My main DS has a charging issue.)

- All my NES games and controllers are all over the house. Haven't seem much of my NES stuff since the 90's. My original Game Boy is somewhere.

- My mutated Game Boy Advance is on a shelf in my room.

- One of my two PSX (not the Japanese DVR playstation) is on a shelf in my room. My other PSX is under my TV in my room I think.

- My PSOne is kinda in pieces everywhere needing to be reassembled.

- My old IBM PS/1 is on a shelf with some other computers. I need to replace it's PSU. (If you have a PSU for a PS/1 that you might part with. Let me know!)

- My Hyperkin FC Super Loader (NES Clone) is currently in the Living room.

Thats about it for the rundown where my systems are.

Edited by nightwheel

• 2 weeks later...

I still am trying to figure out what to do.

On my TV stand, I have a 40" Samsung LCD, the shelf under neath, I have my region free DVD upscaler and cable box, to the right is the PS3 Sim

Under that, I have my Atari 2600 jr and my surround sound unit

I have a matching 'hardware' stand on the side that has several shelfs. Each shelf is a system

Xbox

PS2

NES

I'm getting a SNES and Genesis. I'll probably put the NES (top loader) on top of the PS2, I haven't decided.

Controllers are all kept in one of those 'over the door shoe racks' in the closet.

The DVD/CD games are easy to store, they go on the DVD stand.

I still haven't figured out the cartridge games yet, and I have 150+ atari and 20 or so NES.

What ISN'T out? My Aquarius.. I haven't decided if I want to bother, the only good game IMO is the AD&D Dungeon game (I forget the name).

I've been tempted to buy a bunch of those cart holders on eBay for the 2600/7800 games, but it seems they don't make any that hold A LOT, and I want them all to match.