IGNORED

Beginners guide to Visual bB (Video)

Daniel Davis

Guys,

I have great admiration for all of you here at the Atari age forum. I want to get more people involved, so I created a basic tutorial for beginners using the Batari language and Visual bB. I already know that I've made several mistakes in this video and there's not much I can do about that now, but the purpose isn't to appeal to those that already know what they're doing but more as an introduction to those that are brand new to it. I hope this helps to get n00bs involved with the community!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww3her2zk_I

Edited by Daniel Davis
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
I already know that I've made several mistakes in this video and there's not much I can do about that now . . .

You could edit the video and upload it again or put YouTube annotations on top of the original video at the places where you made the mistakes.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't use all the features you were showing (such as you dropping a playfield in the game), but nice to know the feature is there.

You can drag and drop playfields, sprites, and music data. I guess I need to make that more clear on the VbB page.

(It seems like Daniel Davis doesn't know how to subscribe to a thread yet, so he's probably not seeing our replies.)

Guys,

I have great admiration for all of you here at the Atari age forum. I want to get more people involved, so I created a basic tutorial for beginners using the Batari language and Visual bB. I already know that I've made several mistakes in this video and there's not much I can do about that now, but the purpose isn't to appeal to those that already know what they're doing but more as an introduction to those that are brand new to it. I hope this helps to get n00bs involved with the community!

Excellent video, thank you!

• 1 year later...

I keep getting an error: "Could not locate default.bas and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly". Does anybody know what is causing this & or how to fix it? I tried copy/pasting the default.bas to every folder in VbB. No luck.

See if the fix for Windows 7 users fixes the problem:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#troubleshooting

I keep getting an error: "Could not locate default.bas and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly". Does anybody know what is causing this & or how to fix it? I tried copy/pasting the default.bas to every folder in VbB. No luck.

See if the fix for Windows 7 users fixes the problem:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#troubleshooting

Thank you! I don't have Win7 (Vista), but that worked! Thanks again, VERY much!

Just to let you know, I was using Build 554 & have no idea what the problem was.

VisualbB_1.0_Build_562 + bB1.1beta_B seem to work fine though.

Just to let you know, I was using Build 554 & have no idea what the problem was.

I usually have problems with the default batch (.bat) file. It's the first thing I replace. If bB is setup correctly, that is usually what is causing the problem.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

You mean "incorrectly", don't you? In any event, now I am having the same problem! (default.bas.bin). When i initially tried, I was in a hurry. Everything was in a folder on my desktop. I made a dedicated folder & set everything up again. I started from scratch. I used the configuration wizard & all the paths seem to be set right. You said it's the 1st thing you replace. Do you have a bare default.bas.bin you could send me please, & if so, would it even help/work? Also, where would I put it? A Project folder?

Thank you.

PS: This is so frustrating

I usually have problems with the default batch (.bat) file. It's the first thing I replace. If bB is setup correctly, that is usually what is causing the problem.

-Jeff

You mean "incorrectly", don't you? In any event, now I am having the same problem! (default.bas.bin). When i initially tried, I was in a hurry. Everything was in a folder on my desktop. I made a dedicated folder & set everything up again. I started from scratch. I used the configuration wizard & all the paths seem to be set right. You said it's the 1st thing you replace. Do you have a bare default.bas.bin you could send me please, & if so, would it even help/work? Also, where would I put it? A Project folder?

Thank you.

PS: This is so frustrating

It sounds like you might be confused.

Step #1: Download and unzip bBWin7_64bit.zip and put the folder where you want it.

Step #2: Download the latest version of VbB and the sound library and put the VbB folder where you want it. I have the bB folder and the VbB folder in a folder called Atari2600 (the actual location on my computer is C:\Atari2600). And since some people have received errors by having spaces in file names, I either use no spaces or I use underscores when I want separation between words in all of the bB and VbB-related files and folders that I create.

Step #3: Open VbB and run the Configuration Wizard.

Step #4: When you are done with the Configuration Wizard, close and restart VbB. Note: If this isn't the first time you've tried to 'install' VbB, and folder locations have changed, be sure to click on the Settings tab and make sure the various paths are pointing to the correct locations. Then close and restart VbB.

Step #5: Left click on File and select New Project. That will allow you to create a new project folder and default files. Note: Every game you want to work on should be in its own folder. That way all of the files for that game will be in one place and separate from other game files. You can put your game folders wherever you want. I keep all of my game folders in a folder called My_Projects. (As you might expect, I keep My_Projects in the Atari2600 folder along with the bB folder and the VbB folder.)

Step #6: Once you've created a new project folder with default files, you should see the default files in the Project Explorer. Double click on a file to open it in the appropriate editor. For example, double clicking on a .bas file will open it in the Code Editor.

Step #7: When working on a new game, be sure to use Save As and name your .bas file something other than 'default' in case you need to post it in the future. Even if you don't know the name of the game yet, you can always use your username mixed with the type of project. For example, if your username is Mr. Giggle Snort and you're working on an unnamed maze game, you could call it "giggle_snort_maze_game_2011y_06m_17d_0342t.bas". See Easy Software Versioning for more information.

Edited by Random Terrain

Confused, stupefied, befuddled, etc. THAT worked! My problem has come up multiple times w/other people. (quite a bit on Youtube). Your step by step instructions are like a "VbB Setup Tutorial", the 1st of it's kind really. I'd like to thank you very much for you time/patience, & superb, clear, instructions. If I notice anybody else w/ similar trouble, I will point them here. Again , thank you!

Gerry

Confused, stupefied, befuddled, etc. THAT worked! My problem has come up multiple times w/other people. (quite a bit on Youtube). Your step by step instructions are like a "VbB Setup Tutorial", the 1st of it's kind really. I'd like to thank you very much for you time/patience, & superb, clear, instructions. If I notice anybody else w/ similar trouble, I will point them here. Again , thank you!

Gerry

Thanks. That's good to know. I wasn't sure I had everything right (and I didn't until I edited my post about 50 billion times). I'll add it to the VbB page later today or tomorrow.