IGNORED

Any good fighting games?

Gigabyte

Went to the arcade last night and played through MvC2 (on 1 credit, of course) but I'd like to play a fighting game on the atari. Which would you recommend? Beat-em-ups are good too.

Eh, you could try Double Dragon I guess, not really something to write home about but hey, it's "DOUBLE FREAKIN' DRAGON" and its on the 26 Double zero.. ;)

Double Dragon is pretty awful (other than the awesome theme) on the 2600. I went back and tried every fighting game I could think of over the last hour. My thoughts on each title:

RealSports Boxing: Clearly the best fighting game on the 2600 (that I've played). Decent mechanics, great graphics, and what you'd hope for in a 1987 Atari title. Highly recommended.

Boxing: Some might consider this a "classic," but it's still terrible. Surprisingly bad for an Activision game.

Kung Fu Master: Not a bad port, but the NES version ("Kung Fu") is far superior. Has some pretty dodgy hit detection, but still an enjoyable little brawler.

Kung Fu!: I sort of enjoy the terrible graphics, and the game seems like it has promise. I've played this title several times in the past, but never really enjoyed it. Same goes for now.

Any others?

Title Match Pro Wrestling is another one, game play sucks but the graphics are pretty good and the way the wrestlers move is HILARIOUS.

And how can you not like Activision Boxing, What is wrong with you son?????????? :P

Edited by sloth713

• A great homebrew fighting game is KO Cruiser by Devin. Easily the best boxing experience on the 2600. You can get it here. You can also try the AVGN version for different characters.

• Double Dragon is one of my favorites. It's agonizingly difficult and will make you want to throw the cartridge against the wall if you don't master the Elbow Smash. Once you get that down you can have fun running around beating the crap out of everyone. Heed Mr. Miyagi's advice and learn the Elbow Smash!

• Boxing by Activision is an all-time classic. To me, this one never gets old.

• RealSports Boxing is a good game but lacks the fun feel of Activision's Boxing IMO. It seems to use the same game mechanics as Titlematch Pro Wrestling.

• Titlematch Pro Wrestling is decent for a 2600 wrestling game. It needs more frames of animation or something because the action just feels way too fast.

• Kung Fu Master is just plain excellent. I realize some people rag on this game, but it was everything I'd hoped it would be. It's a button masher more than a strategy fighter, but I don't believe this game could be any better graphically.

• Kung Fu Superkicks aka Chuck Norris Superkicks isn't one of my favorites, but it's ok.

• There's a homebrew fighter called Karate Master being worked on. You can get it from the author's blog here. If there's a thread link, I can't seem to find it.

• Of course there's always Karate. ;) But you were asking for "good" fighting games weren't you? lol

Edited by KevinMos3

We might as well make this a complete list of all 2600 fighters if we've missed any.

I just looked over my collection and didn't see anything that was missed. Two thoughts:

Honestly, the first game that popped into my head was Ice Hockey. While not technically a fighting game, the body checks are very good and you can knock your guy to the ground. Plus, when playing against a human opponent, things getting pretty 'exciting' with words and whacks.

I am always floored when people comment that Kung Fu Master isn't that good. I mean, wow, really? The game is beautiful and surpasses anything I thought a 2600 was capable of. I find it loads of fun with different opponents (acrobatic midgets anyone), traps and bosses.

We might as well make this a complete list of all 2600 fighters if we've missed any.

I am always floored when people comment that Kung Fu Master isn't that good. I mean, wow, really? The game is beautiful and surpasses anything I thought a 2600 was capable of. I find it loads of fun with different opponents (acrobatic midgets anyone), traps and bosses.

I agree, I think the 2600 did an excellent job with Kung Fu. If only they could've fit the stairs in there :roll:

For a beat-em-up I guess the best choice (IMO) would be Kung Fu Master.

Totally agree. Gorgeous graphics and the gameplay is pretty tight. Not sure why no love for this from some (unless they're totally spoiled by the NES version) - no brainer must have game for the 2600 IMHO.

I actually really like Title Match Pro Wrestling. Pretty complex for it's time.

Chuck Norris SUCKS, though. Omg, that is one of THE worst pieces of shit you're ever going to play.

Activision Boxing is AWESOME, though.

Double Dragon is atrocious in every aspect. Avoid like the plague.

Kung Fu Master is one of the best games on the 2600, if you ask me. Kind of hard to find, but worth it.