IGNORED

factory sealed

mark

anyone have an idea on how vintage systems such as the 2600 or pong or whatever, end up being factory sealed after all these years. are they lost in a warehouse for 20 years or are kept by collectors or??? it would be sweet to own a factory sealed 2600 sixer. i drool just thinking about it. :ponder:

I never saw the appeal of a sealed cartridge or system... I'd much rather open it up and play it! As for how these come to be, I'd say it's a combination of both of your suggestions... although I'm sure warehouses account for most of the sealed merchandise.

If your sixer was sealed, how could you be sure it was a sixer? ;) Could just be a 4-switch in a box with a 6-switch picture.

--Zero

Most of the sealed stuff you see on ebay is new old stock, stuff that was left unsold after the system died. 98% of the time the sealed 2600/7800 game is one that's offered at O'Shea's, and they're very common.

It's funny, you actually see less sealed E.T.'s, although it's one of the most common games.

I presume by factory sealed you mean stapled because the 2600 system wasn't shrinkwrapped.

It could be anything from what KA said about O'Shea's to a little mom & pop shop that forgot they had it on the shelve in the basement for the last 20 years.

yeah, unopened is what i mean. i think it would be sweet to own one from a colectors standpoint cause i own 6 2600s that are played. just something to have and stare at.

anyway thanks for your responces, i was just cerious as to how great and popular systems can go unopened

http://www.oshealtd.com/#love%20bus

Yup, they bought em all before they were melted down.

Actually, that's not quite true!

From what I've seen from internal Atari documents and in talking with several former Atari people, O'Shea never paid for those millions of carts he has. The story I've been told is that he took them on a consignment deal from Atari and then when they went under/were sold, there was no one left to report to, so he got them free and clear.

Again, just what I've heard/seen from several reliable sources...

John