IGNORED

Digital Out cables on GC

DaytonaUSA

I got my component "digital out" cables last night for my Gamecube and hooked it up to my 40" LCD tv. When I play the Gamecube on my iMac or TV with s-video, the resolution is so low that if I go into full screen mode, it's very grainy.

Well, last night my jaw literally dropped. Rogue Squadron II looks like a freakin PS3 game (credit to the game designers more than the cable I guess, but it helped quite a bit!). Soul Calibur 2, especially the opening intro, was AMAZINGLY crisp and colorful. I hardly see any jaggies, and no grain in the picture.

I guess I'm a bit lost. When I had my Wii, I had component cables and the picture was VERY grainy on Wii games, including the main menu. So what is so different with the GC?

Anyway, I'm having a blast. I'm learning virtually all the good games either have 480p, widescreen or both and it's great to finally see things that were difficult to see before like Tie Fighters against the black backdrop of space.

Anyone else have these cables? If not, I seriously recommend them. WELL worth the price. In fact it's inspired me to buy ones for my PS2 as the picture on that is very dark and grainy on my LCD.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I got my component "digital out" cables last night for my Gamecube and hooked it up to my 40" LCD tv. When I play the Gamecube on my iMac or TV with s-video, the resolution is so low that if I go into full screen mode, it's very grainy.

Well, last night my jaw literally dropped. Rogue Squadron II looks like a freakin PS3 game (credit to the game designers more than the cable I guess, but it helped quite a bit!). Soul Calibur 2, especially the opening intro, was AMAZINGLY crisp and colorful. I hardly see any jaggies, and no grain in the picture.

I guess I'm a bit lost. When I had my Wii, I had component cables and the picture was VERY grainy on Wii games, including the main menu. So what is so different with the GC?

Anyway, I'm having a blast. I'm learning virtually all the good games either have 480p, widescreen or both and it's great to finally see things that were difficult to see before like Tie Fighters against the black backdrop of space.

Anyone else have these cables? If not, I seriously recommend them. WELL worth the price. In fact it's inspired me to buy ones for my PS2 as the picture on that is very dark and grainy on my LCD.

What do you use to play Gamecube on your iMac? I would like to use my Wii on my iMac!!! Thanks!!!

What do you use to play Gamecube on your iMac? I would like to use my Wii on my iMac!!! Thanks!!!

Hey, no problem, glad I could help. I'd suggest getting an EYE TV. It's a little box and it allows you to play games through it, and also watch cable on your iMac. If you have one of the new 30" iMacs, it literally can make your computer your TV as well since the monitor is so big. I got mine about 4 years ago, so mine is s-video/composite only, but the new ones I know take HD... don't know about component, but they do have HDMI.

Anywho, it's one of about 5 programs I use to make my video reviews, and is great to have when the wife wants to be in the same room with you as you're gaming but wants to watch the TV. In that respect, the EYE TV has gotten an amazing amount of use.

Btw, it can also record TV shows and programs. So if you do what I do, and have a cable splitter, you can watch your shows on your TV while recording another show on your iMac for later. No monthly fees, it's all free once you buy the unit.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

The GC actually supports some higher HD supposedly. But yeah, all the games were made in 480[ as far as I know, you just have to have the cable to see it.

Oddly, the wii does in fact look worse (with game cube games) than the Cube does. I figure it's some sort of antialising shit or something, but eh...who knows. Oh well, as the wii sin't fully compatible with the cube anyways (with the part I use the most :P ) then the cube will be my system for cube games for a few years yet anyways.

As for the PS2 :lol: Uh...that's just how it looks, no cable will help it....sorry :P

The GC actually supports some higher HD supposedly. But yeah, all the games were made in 480[ as far as I know, you just have to have the cable to see it.

Oddly, the wii does in fact look worse (with game cube games) than the Cube does. I figure it's some sort of antialising shit or something, but eh...who knows. Oh well, as the wii sin't fully compatible with the cube anyways (with the part I use the most :P ) then the cube will be my system for cube games for a few years yet anyways.

As for the PS2 :lol: Uh...that's just how it looks, no cable will help it....sorry :P

Good to know I'm not the only one that had component cables for the Wii and found it was grainy vs the Cube's.

And seriously? Nothing at all? Even with the nice cable? I hate how the PS2 looks on my tv and iMac, I really do. I remember playing battlefront all the time on Xbox and PS2 and it didn't seem as dark on my CRT. Maybe it's just the TV... or maybe it's just better on Xbox. Who knows...

I have the digital Component cables for both the Gamecube and the Wii. Guess I never looked at them side by side...I was always quite pleased by the Wii component output with Gamecube games.

For using just the Gamecube, the digital AV cables are indeed worth the $60+ street price they are going for. I have one for every Gamecube I own plus some that have died over the years.... over 10.

Well I did a bit more research and heard that the PS2's component cables did a very good job on large screen LCD HDTVs. I went on ebay and won mine in an auction. The price was a bit steep at 94 cents, but I think I'll live ;)

I have component cables for my PS2. Some games look great, others not so much. One irritating thing is that for some games you have to drill down into the menus to turn on the higher resolution...and you have to do it every time you turn the game on. It can be a pain.

Well I did a bit more research and heard that the PS2's component cables did a very good job on large screen LCD HDTVs. I went on ebay and won mine in an auction. The price was a bit steep at 94 cents, but I think I'll live ;)

I have component cables for my PS2. Some games look great, others not so much. One irritating thing is that for some games you have to drill down into the menus to turn on the higher resolution...and you have to do it every time you turn the game on. It can be a pain.

Yea, more proof that Sony is the PC of gaming and Nintendo is the Mac of gaming. Even when you forget to press down the B button to turn on progressive scan, half the time it asks if you want it on anyway. haha

How does a "digital out" component cable differ from a regular component cable? I have never heard of a digital out component cable and am curious to what the differences are.

I have never really noticed a difference in quality between an interlaced and progressive scanned picture at the same resolutions. I run one of my Xbox 360 at 1080i and the other at 1080p and do not see any differences.

How does a "digital out" component cable differ from a regular component cable? I have never heard of a digital out component cable and am curious to what the differences are.

In the GameCube world, there is no difference.

The GameCube has two A/V ports (on the original models)....an analog port that supports RCA and S-Video output, and a Digital A/V port that supports component video (you still need to hook up your sound from the other port).

Calling it a "Digital A/V Port" is probably misleading.

The GameCube has two A/V ports (on the original models)....an analog port that supports RCA and S-Video output, and a Digital A/V port that supports component video (you still need to hook up your sound from the other port).

They call it that so stupid mothers hooking up their kids console don't try forcing the standard AV cable into the wrong port ;). Its not an official name. Component is Component... but it's just to differentiate the two ports.

Thanks, that clears it up.

Component cables are all analog...so I don't know :)

As far as I know the gamecube side of a gamecube component cable is digital. The cable contains a D/A converter to make the signal analog.

Not misleading. A couple of pins on the port are for digital audio.

There is a schematic on the GamesX Wiki that can allow you to get digital audio from the GameCube. It's just that Nintendo themselves never took advantage of these pins.

Not misleading. A couple of pins on the port are for digital audio.

There is a schematic on the GamesX Wiki that can allow you to get digital audio from the GameCube. It's just that Nintendo themselves never took advantage of these pins.

That is REALLY interesting...never knew that digital audio was possible. Thanks!

Good to know I'm not the only one that had component cables for the Wii and found it was grainy vs the Cube's.

And seriously? Nothing at all? Even with the nice cable? I hate how the PS2 looks on my tv and iMac, I really do. I remember playing battlefront all the time on Xbox and PS2 and it didn't seem as dark on my CRT. Maybe it's just the TV... or maybe it's just better on Xbox. Who knows...

Actually, PS2 is probably one of the last consoles built with Tube TV's exclusively in mind. It is indeed brighter brights, and darker darks and a smoother pic on a CRT, but, that's more to do with CRT than the PS2. If you have a CRT option, I'd suggest using it instead of an LCD. (no experience with plasma, but I heard they were up there with CRT, though now days, people are saying the newere LCD's are up with plasma, so i don't know)

My LCD< I love it (polaroid) it's just so bright, smooth, and sharp....but somehow, every time I hook up one of my consoles like the PS2 or the Wii to the old CRT (or at a friends house, most of them haven't upgraded yet) I'm just blown away by how much better the games seem to look on the old school sets.

Hold onto those CRT's, new consoles take better advantage of newer sets, but you can't beat CRT for SD gaming.

I think Gran Turismo 4 outputs all the way up to 1080i when you've got component cables... :P

Cool, I don't particularly like the series, but that might be interesting to see.

I guess how it looks is just dependant on the game, kind of like how some PSX games looked awesome, and some looked like crap with the PS2 antialising turned on. :)