IGNORED

Mass Effect 2 Discussion

Albert

Without spoiling anything, can anyone post why this second game is better?

The sites, the sounds are x 2. The emotion oozes off the screen, and you really feel you are the savior of the universe in this game. You know it kicks ass when the hair on the back of your neck stand up. When you smile when you see you character for the first time.

That said, If you didn't like the first Mass Effect much, I doubt you will like Mass Effect 2.

Knowing you, I wouldn't recommend this game to you. You won't get it at all. Not enough random terrain. Just wait for Civ Rev 2.

The sites, the sounds are x 2. The emotion oozes off the screen, and you really feel you are the savior of the universe in this game. You know it kicks ass when the hair on the back of your neck stand up. When you smile when you see you character for the first time.

That said, If you didn't like the first Mass Effect much, I doubt you will like Mass Effect 2.

Knowing you, I wouldn't recommend this game to you. You won't get it.

Thanks. Yep, I shave the hair on the back of my neck, so no chance of that happening. :D

Why? Who would know? :P

Please select a reply:

1. Ever hear of ghosts? They don't want to look at a hairy neck when they chase you around the room.
    _
  2. It makes a fun slide for the dust mites.
    _
  3. I want to look good for the government spy satellites that can see through the roof of my house.

Can't wait to play it. I've ordered a 360 and Mass Effect 1 and I'm going to be doing some mad catching up over the next few weeks. I'm still unsure as to what gender my Shepard should be! I normally play males in RPGs because I am one, but the female voice acting in this seems so much better (Jennifer Hale is superb). Xbox arrives in 2 days (from Amazon) so I gotta decide quick!

missionaccomplished.jpg

That was a hell of a ride... :D

Did all of your squad make it through the suicide mission? I am at the end, saving it for tomorrow. I am in it, to win it!!!

Next play through on Insanity begins Wednesday :D

Oh and I hooked up with Garrus as a female Shepard, and no nudies! I wonder how many of the characters are available for romancing? Still pissed off at my boyfriend, though. I mean if you are the savior of the whole galaxy, and you're STILL not good enough, well WTF??

Did all of your squad make it through the suicide mission? I am at the end, saving it for tomorrow. I am in it, to win it!!!

missionaccomplished2.jpg

That's right, who's your captain? :D

The game ending stuff/romance could probably use its own topic. Or at least a general 'Spoiler!!' type topic for the game.

@Red 5 ~43 hours. The only stuff not completed is the galaxy exploration, which I'll get to after I go back and finish Dragon Age. Or get hijacked by Bioshock 2... :ponder::cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I watched a repeat of X-Play the other day that was all about this game. Going by what I saw, I should like this game a lot more than the first one. I don't care about the drama queen crap or the stuff where you try to get laid, but the rest of it looks good. I think Blockbuster is still within 50 miles of where I live, so the next time I have some extra money, I'll see if I can rent it.

Going by what I saw, I should like this game a lot more than the first one.

The actual gameplay is almost exactly the same as the first one. You spend a lot of time running around exploring the area and talking to people to kick off missions. Often in missions you encounter the enemy, and you use cover or die a lot. Your right trigger shoots, right bumper is biotics and special abilities. The graphics are better and the story lines are as interesting, and exciting (and yes full of drama) as ever in my opinion, but over all the experience is very similar to the first. If you played the first one and hated playing it, I don't believe you will find much in part 2 that's going to make you change your mind about the series as a whole.

Just fair warning. Definitely seems smart to rent before you buy since you gave the impression you didn't like the first one.

Is there a demo for this game on Live?

Also, to answer remowilliams earlier question about driving the Mako around in part 1 and planet scanning in part 2.

I personally HATE planet scanning MUCH more. LOL

The actual gameplay is almost exactly the same as the first one. You encounter the enemy, and you use cover. Right trigger shoots, right bumper, biotics and special abilities.

The thing I didn't like about the first game was the waiting around for no good reason. A video game is supposed to give you a condensed version of reality. You get the fun stuff without the tedious crap you have to deal with in real life. Every time I wanted to leave the ship, I had to take a slow ride on a elevator. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid; die game designer, die. According to X-Play, there are no more stupid elevators! Yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD9GH8V6t5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx861x67imo

Subject change: Some of the clips I've seen have a girl in them that looks like 'Sarah Walker' (Yvonne Strahovski) from the TV show Chuck. There's a good reason for that. She doesn't just look like her, Yvonne Strahovski plays one of the characters in Mass Effect 2. Chuck fans should like having a familiar face around.

Oops, I forgot to say that I found out today that it costs around 5 dollars at Blockbuster to rent a game for 6 days. If the game is in when the Google AdSense money plops into my bank account at the end of the month, I should be able to rent it without damaging the bill or food budget too much.

Edited by Random Terrain

Every time I wanted to leave the ship, I had to take a slow ride on a elevator.

I think I know what you are talking about, you had to de-toxify yourself or whatever whenever you entered or left the ship, it was basically an attempt to conceal a load screen. Same with the elevator rides in the Citadel. In the second game they have done away with that, instead you have...straight up load screens. Also there are suspiciously vacant hallways you will run through that I suspect are concealing load times as well. In other words, they aren't gone in the second game. Instead of your characters talking to each other in an elevator, you have wire frame animations and lots of incrementing random numbers to entertain you. Just FYI.

Installing the game to the HDD seems to help a lot in the second one (Not sure about the first one since I didn't install it)

I've never heard of Chuck, but based on the pictures I just saw, she looks like exactly like the ME2 character Miranda with blond hair.

Soon I will have my way with her...virtually of course.

For those that have played Mass Effect, (1 or 2) did you begin with the default character or did you create your own character? It is always odd for me to see ads for this game because my lead character isn't the one in the ads. Truth be told, I modeled it after myself. Just curious if anyone else takes the time to create a character.

post-544-126596657907_thumb.png

Also, to answer remowilliams earlier question about driving the Mako around in part 1 and planet scanning in part 2.

I personally HATE planet scanning MUCH more. LOL

While there was some joy to be found in driving the Mako around in ME1, planet scanning is pretty joyless. What I did was force myself to take a few 'timeouts' and just sit and scan an entire solar system at a time, extracting everything I could find. After doing that several times I had enough resources that I didn't have to really break from the rest of the game and still had enough to develop just about everything I wanted.

For those that have played Mass Effect, (1 or 2) did you begin with the default character or did you create your own character? It is always odd for me to see ads for this game because my lead character isn't the one in the ads. Truth be told, I modeled it after myself. Just curious if anyone else takes the time to create a character.

I did a custom character to resemble myself in ME1 and imported into ME2. And yes, it's odd every time I see a commercial. 'Hey that's not Shepard!' :D

Just finished Mass Effect 1. What a ride! Still shaking :)

I played through it with a female character. I don't usually do that. However, Jennifer Hales - pretty much the best voice actor in videogames, did the voice for female Shepard so it was an easy choice.

Spent AGES on the character generation bit, making sure she looked just right. I didn't want a typical Hollywood actress type - she had to have a bit of experience behind those eyes, an open face and a hint of authority.

What do you think? I present - Cmdr Alice Shepard :)

aliceshepard.jpg