IGNORED

Jaguar games that you DON'T want...

minuS

Which Jaguar games can you live without? Perhaps you've tried them and sold them, not had any interest in tracking them down, or even passed-up an opportunity to get them...

Mine are:

•  
  • Cannon Fodder (passed; available on other platforms)
  • Cybermorph 1Mb (sold; have the 2Mb version)
  • Checkered Flag (passed; awful)
  • Evolution: Dino Dudes (passed; available on other platforms)
  • Kasumi Ninja (passed; awful)
  • NBA Jam TE (passed; available on other platforms)
  • Supercross 3D (bought CIB and sold shortly thereafter; awful)
  • Syndicate (passed; available on other platforms)
  • Theme Park (passed; available on other platforms)
  • Troy Aikman Football (passed; available on other platforms)

Of the above games that are available on other platforms, is there anything special about the Jaguar versions that would warrant buying them? For example, I own Attack Of The Mutant Penguins because the Jaguar version is the original, and DOOM, Rayman, and many others because the Jaguar versions are still unique or penultimate ports to this day.

How do you like Attack of the Mutant Penguins. I'm new to the Jag and I'm building up my game collection. Also, how can you tell the difference with Cybermorph? I have the cart that came packed with the Jaguar. Is that a 1 mg or 2 mg cart?

I like AotMP quite a bit. It's similar in presentation to the Lemmings series of games, but the objective is reversed and the gameplay more visceral; instead of saving the penguins by directing them, you have to kill them yourself before they're mutated into hulking mutants! It's a twisted little game, and otherwise only available on PC.

As for Cybermorph differences, there's a thread on the subject (and there have been many more before it) here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/156720-cybermorph-differences/

I consider ALL of the original released games I could NOT live without. The first five that were available. That includes Checkered Flag. Yes, it sucks, but there was a time when I really hunkered down and got used to its controls and framerate because I wanted to a) really like it and b) master its worthlessness. It's a challenging game on so many levels that way... lol

Games I could care less about owning on the Jag include most of the ones available on computers (the mouse and keyboard games naturally) and:

Air Cars (what a spartan POS and the lady's inflection is quite embarrassing)

Atari Karts - (too simple and not enough variety)

Attack of the Mutant Penguins (tedious, boring and ungratifying IMO)

Bruce Lee

Double Dragon V

Fight For Life (dull as hell and controls/gameplay suck)

Flashback

Flip Out (another pointless exercise like AotMP)

Hover Strike (damn near unplayable with a digital pad, framerate sucks)

Ruiner Pinball (I have it, but it's quite silly as far as pinball goes, it's jerky and too many colors)

Pitfall!

Skyhammer (game is good for Jaguar, but slow and I realize now I do not like free-style 3D 'mission' based games)

Super Burnout (computer AI is one cheating bastard and really, its pretty boring as racers go)

Supercross 3D

Syndicate

Theme Park

Towers II (horrible game that plays terribly slow and seems unfinished)

Val d'Isere Skiing (used to like, but the camera perspective leaves a lot to be desired)

White Men Can't Jump (too jumpy/crummy framerate and you can't tell what's going on - EVER)

Worms (especially for what it costs)

...While it's nice to play on the Amiga, I give a positive nod to Jag Cannon Fodder because of the excellent conversion and relative ease of use with the D-pad. Pinball Fantasies I'm on the fence about. I love the game, but the lack of variety (about the only table I like is the Circus one) and the large DMD score display takes up too much valuable real estate. The Amiga versions show about an inch more of the playfield on the screen at once, making shots a little easier to acheive with the scrolling playfield.

As far as sports games go on the Jag - yeah, pretty forgettable (with exception to NBA Jam). I'm not a football fan at all, but wanted to like Brutal Sports. Too bad that also suffers from crummy/choppy framerates. Soccer... I like the gameplay and sounds of Fever Pitch, but haven't played that in a coons age.

I really like Kasumi Ninja for what it is and Ultra Vortek is great too. Kasumi Ninja, you just have to get used to when the game expects you to be mashing buttons. It's all about timing, which is realistic in fighting of course. Ultra Vortek could stand some tweaking with its framerate, but it's still pretty good. Fight For Life was just a little too ambitious for the Jag methinks, but demonstrates what might have been with some better designers and optimized code and gameplay.

Oh and how could I forget about the JagCD? lol Totally forgettable gaming experience IMO. Yes, the VLM is cool - but who's really gonna stare at that thing for long unless you're into drugs? lol If I was to ever land another CD player, I guess it'd just be for Battlemorph, Primal Rage (maybe) and a homebrew or two. On second thought, scratch that. lol A Jag owner can be fully content not wasting his or her money as the machine simply doesn't constitute a good or logical purchasing decision from a gamers POV - IMHO.

Edited by save2600

Well put; I agree with almost all of your points :)

I do have to ask why you have no love for the Jaguar port of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - it's a great platformer, and has the best graphics and most features of any console version; only the SEGA CD version beats it in terms of audio.

As for Kasumi Ninja, I just couldn't wrap my head around the controls; perhaps it's worth another look.

Well put; I agree with almost all of your points :)

I do have to ask why you have no love for the Jaguar port of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - it's a great platformer, and has the best graphics and most features of any console version; only the SEGA CD version beats it in terms of audio.

As for Kasumi Ninja, I just couldn't wrap my head around the controls; perhaps it's worth another look.

Pitfall! Technically *is* great for the Jag - don't get me wrong, just not my kind of game. I do not care for the constant climbing, jumping and bouncing at all. It's all you do in the game; and against a relatively drab and dark background no less.

When playing Kasumi Ninja, just remember to mash a button 1 second before you think you need to and you'll get better results... lol

Ultra Voretek is poor. I didn't own it back in the day, my Dad traded our Jaguar, Jaguar CD and a lot of the library for around 2 Playstation games :sad:, but it's possible to complete the game using one move.

I have fond memories of a lot of Jag games, being around 8 at the time, but Double Dragon V and Blue Lightening stand out as stinkers even with my rose coloured spectactles.

Edited by wozencl

How anyone can dislike Super Burnout which IMO is not only one of the Jag's best games but also one of the best racers I have played on any console. Ruiner is also a brilliant pinball game, not jerky at all and plays realy well.

I also agree that Pitfall on the Jag is very good and Ultra Vortek is the best fighting game on the machine and a very fine Mortal Kombat clone.

Going back to the original post I think that the games that are on other machines are worth owning as they are the BEST versions of each of those games and good games to boot. Even Theme Park which is on the PS1 and Saturn has more rides and shops on the Jag version.

Is Clu looking? No? OK, then I put forward Bubsy.

:) I was starting to get worried for a bit that the Bubster's reputation was slipping.

(Don't forget to check out my Bubsy blog here on Atariage... shameless plug!) [gleeming smile] :D

Ummm... really... after really playing every Jaguar game, there is not a Jaguar game I couldn't like.

Used to be Cybermorph, now one of my top five that I love to play for hours.

Used to also be Double Dragon, but that is not all THAT bad.

So I like all them Jaguar games.

Edited by doctorclu

ive never came across a Jaguar game i didnt want.... Jaguar Rules!

I second that!

Is Clu looking? No? OK, then I put forward Bubsy.

:) after really playing every Jaguar game, there is not a Jaguar game I couldn't like.

Used to also be Double Dragon, but that is not all THAT bad.

So I like all them Jaguar games.

Uhh-Huhh Mee Too! ;)

I have Jaguar red&black rose colored glasses and I am a dirty, standardless*, Jaguar Gigolo. My Jaguar's open slutty cart slot will pleasure any male Jagcart PCB edge connector shoved into her cart hole. And it will lock in place, just like a cat or dog mating until my gaming business is done(for the day), and satisfaction with the software cart has been had. :P :D

Haha! j/k! didn't mean to be nasty there. Actually, ALL Jaguar games are cool to me simply because they are running on the Jaguar! :D There are several very good games on the Jag, but I will also try to get some enjoyment out of the less than stellar and unpopular ones too, by spending some time with them anyway like: SuperCross3D, Checkered Flag, DDV. I like Double Dragon and Club Drive.

:)

* = As I discussed with Gorf on other occasions; he feels that if Jagfans will accept low quality 2600 style games -that that's all they are gonna get! - I would prefer Jagames that are well programmed, fun and deep - very much over the Jag Frog Feasts of the world but with so few new quality Jaguar titles coming out, I just buy any old software that comes out on the Jag. Wish it was different and that Robinson's Requiem would come out. I have and often play all of 3DSSS stuff but if something comes out for the Jag I am there regardless.

Edited by ovalbugmann

ive never came across a Jaguar game i didnt want.... Jaguar Rules!

'Buddies, would you please clarify exactly what you're saying cos the possible alternative interpretation is a little, ahem, worrisome? :o

My bad! :lol:

Seemed pretty straight-forward to me. He is using the ole Will Rogers line of "I never met a man I couldn't like" and applying that to Jaguar games.

Of course, I always found it interesting that Will Rogers said "man", which makes you wonder if there were ever any women he didn't like. ;)

There are two games I like, but won´t buy for the Jaguar:

Flashback, as I have this on my Atari Falcon

and

Frog Feast... I like the game and spent hours with my friends on Atari 2600 console with that, but IMHO it´s not worth the money... don´t get me wrong, if I´d get a copy for a few bucks (let´s name it: 5) I would take it, but I could spend my money wiser than buying it new.

Well I like any Jaguar homebrew game... most of the puzzle games are free and so are a great addition to Jaggy´s library... but sure I´d like to see new games of other types...

• Like 2

Are you that you have Flashback on the Atari Falcon and that you are not confused with "Another World"? As far as I know Flashback was never released for the Falcon or Atari ST. And the Flackback demo for the ST is not the same as the Jaguar Flashback game :D

Robert

Are you that you have Flashback on the Atari Falcon and that you are not confused with "Another World"? As far as I know Flashback was never released for the Falcon or Atari ST. And the Flackback demo for the ST is not the same as the Jaguar Flashback game :D

Robert

If the falcon is accelerated there is a port of the flashback engine.