IGNORED

PS3 or 360

z28in82

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which to buy?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Ok,

I'm finally gonna step into Modern gaming. I'm gonna grab either a PS3 or a 360. So I need help and advice as to which to grab.

1) Not gonna be on-line, so live vs home isn't an issue

2) play more RPGish/quest type, fighting, racing games.

3) gonna be on an old TV so don't need HDMI or anything like that

Would you recommend new vs used, and which version (elite vs arcade) (old PS3 vs slim) (which models of each to avoid/look for)

I know alot of you have been using these systems for a while now and have done a much better job of keeping up with this stuff so I defer to ya'll

So which system and what accessories do you suggest as well and thrownin out a few games wouldn't hurt either.

Currently looking to get: Bioshock, mass effect 1&2, tekken 6, mortal kombat vs dc, dragon age:origins, batman arkham asylum, dead rising(360 only I know), God Of War 3 (the ps3 only game I want), Gran Turismo/Forsa 3, prince of persia

Looking to avoid: COD(any and all), gituar hero/rock band/dj hero, Halo (in any incarnate) any FPS, most sports

Could get but won't play AKA not quite sold on: GTA4, Assassins Creed 1&2, Redsient evil 5.

So any experiences,suggestions, opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I don't know if your preference is Sony or Microsoft. If all you have to spend is say $400 I'd go with the PS3 since $300 will get you a new system, wi-fi is free, it will play CD's, DVD's, BLU RAY, PSone and PS3 games on all models straight out of the box and supports almost any laptop hard drive and any USB plug and play device.

I love both, I tend to switch between the two a lot depending on what I'm currently into.

Its up to you in what type of games you want to play. Looks like your more of a PS3 person from what your saying cause the 360 IMO is the king of FPS games. Either way you can't go wrong but if you want GOW then you'll have to get a PS3 later anyway. That's Sony-owned "IP".

This is easy. The Xbox 360 by a mile... it's got the best games and the cheapest used games. I'm also more fond of the Xbox 360 controller than its PS3 counterpart, because the triggers contour to your fingers. The Playstation 3 does have some advantages, like cheaper accessories and a stronger reputation for reliability, but the latest Xbox 360s are well built too so that really shouldn't be an issue if you buy the system new.

I currently have no blu-ray movies so the blue-ray player is a deal breaker for me.

I don't play enough to even bother with on-line.

I remember that GOW is a sony property, which is one of the few reasons why I got a PSP.

I know I'll eventually get the other but just don't know which to get first

The Xbox 360, man. Get a new system, and be sure to get at least a sixty gig hard drive with it. The system will be packaged with a composite cable, so if your television set supports a better connection than this, buy an S-video or component cable. Even better, buy a VGA cable and hook it up to one of your old VGA monitors. This will give you a taste of high-definition gaming without paying through the nose for a high-def television set. Trust me, it makes a BIG difference.

Looking at your list of games, I'd say your tastes are pretty similar to mine. I got a PS3 first for Ridge Racer and the PSN games. However, I had an HD TV and Blu-Ray was also a factor in my decision.

Given you're still standard def., I'd have to recommend the 360 instead. You get to play Mass Effect (the reason I just bought one).

You really MUST add Fallout 3 to your want list too. While the basic premise of it sounds dull (post apocalyptic wasteland - yawn), I have to concede that it's probably the best RPG of all time. That said, it's on both systems so that shouldn't color your judgement.

As for which models:

PS3 - doesn't matter. I like the original design but both are quiet and reliable.

360 - you must buy a new machine. The 360 has been, I think it's fair to say, the least reliable console ever made. New models are pretty well put together. Arcade and Elite models are AFAIK, inwardly exactly the same.

Edited by liveinabin

Its worth investing in either or both.

Both these consoles feature enough exclusive games to make either worth purchasing now, and both feature many of the same games.

I personally prefer the 360 for various reasons (better online experience and options like 1 Vs 100, Live Marketplace, controller etc..), but I know others who prefer the PS3 for various different reasons (Blu-Ray player, free online, controller etc....)

Seriously if you flipped a coin and bought either you'd have a ball.

Ughh.. I won't get into another one of these debates lol, but all I'll really say is that I preferred the PS3 by far. The 360, providing you actually want to play wirelessly, have rechargeable controllers, ect ect ect is actually a lot more money in the long run, and you don't even get the pleasure of having a Blu-Ray player along with it. It just felt like a giant money pit to me, and I'm glad I don't have it any longer. That and the hdds were EXTREMELY expensive on these things. I have a 500GB hdd in my ps3 now that I didn't even pay 100 bucks for. Wireless, rechargeable controllers, ect all came with it out of the box :). When I purchased by 360 I should have stopped when the total came up. At the time, I didn't want a PS3 because they were "too expensive", but after I was totaled out, my arcade with hdd and accessories was more than the PS3.

Don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of good games for it. It's just not the best system in the world when it comes to simple, everything out of the box gameplay.

After the last round of price drops, the tide this generation is turning more toward the PS3. Folks interested in the 360 are focused on 'what was' a little more than 'what will be'. PS3 had a slower start and fewer years of releases in general, but still has a bright future ahead of it. 360 has cheaper software, a history of having the better version of multi-platform titles, and no shortage of decent exclusives. (many were named in the original post)

I think I've been pretty fair up to this point. But getting into personal opinion, there's no way I will recommend 360 to anybody at this time, even if it does play mass effect and a hundred other good games. I can't say that I've ever believed 360 has provided more value than PS3, but this is especially clear after these latest price drops. Now that the two are competing fairly evenly on price, the whole thing seems a bit silly. The PS3 is generally a reliable, well-mannered box, that doesn't nickel-and-dime me into purchasing system-exclusive hardware at every turn--but it's competing against a rattly space heater that requires the constant purchase of expensive '360 stuff' for it whenever it's not being shipped back for repair.

I noticed forza3/gran turismo in the original list and it's a perfect example of ps3 value. A good wheel setup for either system costs more than the system's worth, but forza requires special wheels licensed for xbox 360, where ps3 will take practically any old pc wheel just like ps2 did. The same is true of flight sticks, headsets, hard disks--everything for the 360 has to be special where ps3 will just take what you have sitting around.

Edited by Reaperman

I had a 'Jasper' 360 Arcade which I traded for store credit toward a PS3 Slim around Christmas time. The PS3 got a bunch of good games last year, so there really wasn't much offered on the 360 genre-wise that I couldn't get on the PS3. The fact that my first 'reliable Jasper' unit failed two months after I bought it made me leery of investing in a large library for the 360. That said, I don't think any of the current gen consoles will be praised for their (hardware) longevity in the long run.

I would say the 360 by a small margin. I have all three systems (2 of each actually) and the 360 by far is the most played system. Taking away the overlap in games between the two systems, the number of exclusives I own for each system is similiar, the 360 wins out by a small margin though.

The 360 controllers just feel better to me (opinions may vary).

Others have railed on the cost of accessories for the 360. If anything the 360 accessories seem to be cheaper. Controllers for the 360 are consistently cheaper by 7-15 dollars. I have seen 360 controllers sell for as low as $30 brand new, PS3 controllers are usually 40-45 dollars. I can buy a bunch of AA rechargeable batteries with the savings, and then you will not have to tether your controller to the system when recharging. Either system can use a cheap $5 HDMI cable, no need to buy a Sony or Microsoft brand cable. Both systems come with a HDD, I would guess the large majority of 360 or PS3 owners never upgrade their HDD, maybe there is data that proves otherwise.

There is a huge overlap in game libraries that you will be satisfied either way.

I'd pick Xbox, just cause there are more games I like on it. Now, a lot of games I ike are multiplatform (like Oblivion, perfect for you're RPG/adventure gaming) But of the exclusive games, I just like the Box better. Games like Fable, PGR,mass Effect or stuff like that. You didn't mention shooters, but Halo is a good one of those (for single play, for multiplay, get Unreal or something)

Now...for reliability, I hear of little problems with PS3, but the older Xboxes are shit, used or otherwise, stick to 08 or later systems...I have a late 07, and have no problems with it, but it may be a newer version so...

The big reason I don't get a PS3, I don't have any desire to get BD movies, and don't have a full HD set anyways (and at 720, the upscaled 360 looks as good as BD anyways) It might have been worth it, but they have takien, and taken, and taken, and not put anything back into the PS3, the latest version, doesn't even support custom OS (now to me, that's not a big deal, but anyhow)

Oh yeah, did I mention, you can use wired Xbox controllers on your computer too (supposedly wireless too, but you gotta get a USB thingy) Just some thoughts

Edited by Video

Better joystick

Unless you ask almost anyone else. The Xbox and 360 controllers blows away Sony's controllers. The controller sucked when it was the PS1 controller and it sucks now that it is the PS3 controller.

really.. I hated the original xbox controller and don't care for this one either. all subjective I suppose

I would love to have this decision to make over again. I would for sure purchase the PS3 if had the choice to do it over....I already purchased the PS3, but to be able to have the choice again?

Why would I choose the X360 with all of its many problems....My PS3 has been used since day one and no probs, except fo that crappy firmware update Sony released around time that GTA IV came out. Had my PS3 freezing up every other time I turned it on until they released that patch of firmware next that cleaned it up for real.

As for do I play my PS3? NOt really, I'd rather be playing me Atari 2600 or my nes top loader.....

really.. I hated the original xbox controller and don't care for this one either. all subjective I suppose

It is. People could go either way. I just said it the way I did because completely unsubstantiated blanket statements are the expected fare in these stupid console wars.

I will say that I think Sony needs to follow the other guys and move the left analog stick. The DC got it right when they put it where the D-Pad used to be and moved the D-Pad. When GC and XBox followed suit it was obvious that it would be the new standard and I am sure that these decisions were based on opinions of test groups and the console developers. I was playing a PS1 game yesterday and recently played an FPS on PS2 (both of which I own and love so don't confuse me for a hater) and I was reminded of why I dislike the controller. I also think it feels like a brick and ergonomic controllers are the way to go. When you hold an XBox controller you can feel that it was built for comfort during long gaming sessions and it was made with the shape of the hand in mind as well as the natural way people move and bend their fingers while playing. To me the Playstation controller might as well be a large NES brick with more buttons. The other console-makers have made big changes to their controllers over time because new things are learned about what makes a good controller every generation. A lot of people make it seem like they feel Sony sticking to their controllers is a sign they got it right in the first place and they stick to principle. I would say it is a lack of innovation. When the dual-shock came out it was innovative. The fact that they are now on their third-generation of console and the basic design of the controller has not changed in any significant way is sad. It has been 12 years since the dual-shock was introduced. It is time to be innovative again.

I currently have a 360 and a pile of games for that, but we're saving to get a PS3 as well. I don't really have a loyalty here.

But if you're going to get one, and you don't mind putting a little extra money and effort into it, I would hunt down an original 60 GB PS3: the one that can play PS1 and PS2 games. Beef it up with a bigger hard drive if you want, but if you find one of those in good working condition, you now have a machine that can play 16 years of games. That's nearly a thousand PS1 games and nearly 2000 PS2 games. If you want to avoid FPS games like the plague, you're probably better off with the PS3 exclusives over the Xbox ones, and if you're into RPG's, FFXIII is just around the corner, and I expect it to be better on the PS3. Mistwalker and Square have put out a couple of exclusives on Xbox, but I've found them to be kind of... meh.

That being said, I enjoy my 360 for what it is, but perhaps if I were to make a choice between the two, I'd go for the setup I just described.

It is. People could go either way. I just said it the way I did because completely unsubstantiated blanket statements are the expected fare in these stupid console wars.

I will say that I think Sony needs to follow the other guys and move the left analog stick. The DC got it right when they put it where the D-Pad used to be and moved the D-Pad. When GC and XBox followed suit it was obvious that it would be the new standard and I am sure that these decisions were based on opinions of test groups and the console developers. I was playing a PS1 game yesterday and recently played an FPS on PS2 (both of which I own and love so don't confuse me for a hater) and I was reminded of why I dislike the controller. I also think it feels like a brick and ergonomic controllers are the way to go. When you hold an XBox controller you can feel that it was built for comfort during long gaming sessions and it was made with the shape of the hand in mind as well as the natural way people move and bend their fingers while playing. To me the Playstation controller might as well be a large NES brick with more buttons. The other console-makers have made big changes to their controllers over time because new things are learned about what makes a good controller every generation. A lot of people make it seem like they feel Sony sticking to their controllers is a sign they got it right in the first place and they stick to principle. I would say it is a lack of innovation. When the dual-shock came out it was innovative. The fact that they are now on their third-generation of console and the basic design of the controller has not changed in any significant way is sad. It has been 12 years since the dual-shock was introduced. It is time to be innovative again.

Those are good points, I would mostly have to agree on thiose parts. My preference was for the small size and just over all smooth use. nothing more. Really I much prefer a single analog and a dpad but those days are long gone. :(