IGNORED

Odysseus’ 100% complete Odyssey collection

Odysseus

• 1 month later...

Just now seeing this...this set is a thing (several things?) of beauty :) . They look even better in that case.

Thank you very much. I love having this displayed in the center of my living room :)

At Atari2600land: Im just waiting to receive that now

• 2 weeks later...

I have had many conversations with Mr. Baer and i asked him once if i could send him some stuff to sign. At first he said no since so many people sell his signatures and im sure it takes his time to sign and resend them. But after about a year of discussion i convinced him to.

Really nice! The only thing missing is a TV set.

I want to find the magnavox tv that had the odyssey 100 bulit into it.

That would be sweet.. :cool:

Ive seen it a couple times. Model 4305 had pong built into it so basically the odyssey 100.

model%204305-thumb.jpg

I'd forgotten about this. When I was REALLY little we had that. Before the OD2. I was born in 1977, and as far back as I can recall before the OD2 and Adam, that was there first in my earliest memories. I've no idea where it went. Very cool. AA, it's good for stimulating old memories... :)

AX

I have had many conversations with Mr. Baer and i asked him once if i could send him some stuff to sign. At first he said no since so many people sell his signatures and im sure it takes his time to sign and resend them. But after about a year of discussion i convinced him to.

Explain your history of game collecting and interest in Odyssey.

Well i began gaming when i was around 2 with the NES. around the time i was 18 i realized that i had a significant amount of gaming collectibles, I always bought the newest systems and always kept the boxes. I looked into the history of gaming and decided on some things i wasnt around for but wanted to experience. This included some landmarks like the atari 2600, pong, and the odyssey. I looked on ebay and odysseys were running too much for me so i decided to look for a 2600. I had some spare money so i looked around online and found one locally. When i played it i loved seeing where it all came from and where it all began. The history of how far it had come just amazed me. At that point i knew i had to see where it all began. I saved up some money and bid on all the odysseys i saw pass through ebay until i scored one.

I remember the day i got my odyssey. It was so amazingly simple that it was perfect. That we had come so far. To me we wouldnt have modern console gaming without the Odyssey and Gaming has always been a big part of my life. So the odyssey was naturally important to me. I wanted to try every game and see the range of the odysseys potential. By then I was in so deep it was all i really wanted to collect. And here we are now. It cost alot but i enjoyed hunting for every little thing

Very cool, and very inspirational to another young collector like myself. I understand wholeheartedly your fascination with older technology - how we could have come so far in so short amount of time, how amazing and often forgotten older-generation games are, and the thrill of playing the games you had only heard about in the older generation's stories.

I also wish I had the balls to collect Odyssey like you - its just too expensive, too fragile for me to get into at this time. Instead, I have stuck to 2600 and vintage computing - but some day I will join you on your wonderful Odyssey! I wish I could tell you to keep it up, but you've already made it...well done sir. I'll bet your collection ends up in a museum someday.

Very cool, and very inspirational to another young collector like myself. I understand wholeheartedly your fascination with older technology - how we could have come so far in so short amount of time, how amazing and often forgotten older-generation games are, and the thrill of playing the games you had only heard about in the older generation's stories.

I also wish I had the balls to collect Odyssey like you - its just too expensive, too fragile for me to get into at this time. Instead, I have stuck to 2600 and vintage computing - but some day I will join you on your wonderful Odyssey! I wish I could tell you to keep it up, but you've already made it...well done sir. I'll bet your collection ends up in a museum someday.

Mine was in a museum once. :P

Mine was in a museum once. :P

Nice! I have a dream of an all-encompassing video game museum. Full libraries of every console, computer, and arcade game ever released, for preservation, enjoyment, and eventually, research. This would have to be done with multiple collections on loan to one organization, but I feel like someday that is what we will see (almost like an art museum). Everything in one place, all research (Atari lore) documented, solidified, and accessible. How awesome would it be to scan those shelves?

I too have that same dream of the future. Maybe ill be able to contribute some of the earlier items.

Thanks for the kind words. It was more time consuming than expensive. there was a 6 month period i spent everyday online and on the phone hunting for the 73 games. But i think it was worth it to have something i am very proud to own. I hope you can join in on the odyssey fun one day. but until then there is still great pride to be had in collecting and appreciating anything that shows how we got to where we are today.

and Rob i did hear that your odyssey collection was in a museum. Congrats. I dont know if I would trust a museum with my stuff since some valuable things have gone missing from museums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ya the standard is the same. The only real difference is Soccer. It also has wipeout and volleyball.

But the german is quit different. Has a totally different switch box and the game cord is attached to the system. Also it has two sets of instructions completely in german. So thats a cool system.

My next goal is the ITT odyssee and an Overkal