IGNORED

Pitfall! binaries and source code

retroclouds

• 1 year later...

Congratulations! This is so cool. Would love to see a video of that. Did you need to do a lot of changes?

Sorry, it's running only on emulaters now. Maybe pyuuta is slower than ti-99/4a. The source and binary are uploded on my website. it takes just one day to convert.

Thanks

• Like 1

I have PCBs for 32K Pyuuta cartridges (the 3D-type), but this one seems to be set up to start at >4000 instead of the standard >8000 for the Pyuuta. That would have it starting in the BASIC-1 space and would probably need a different board.

This is just a guess, but I would have thought the 32k cartridges work by mapping the GBASIC ROMs out of >4000, and using that slot plus the standard 16k cartridge space.

The cartridge slot appears to have addressing for 16k, and two ROM selects. What addresses are used by the second half of a 32k cart rom dump?

-M@

Looking at a dump I found of the baseball 32k bin for Tomy, the cartridge header appears to be in the .bin 16k bytes into the file. And the other addressing seems to fit looking at a disassembly.

That seems to be the same layout with this pitfall rom.

If the baseball.bin works on your board, then I would think this pitfall.bin would too.

-M@

I'm a little PyuTa hungry, forgive me. :)

In the emulator linked to with the modified source and pitfall.bin, you have to drop in the operating system roms for the Tutor, and name the file IPL.ROM

The version 2.3 ROM doesn't work with the pitfall game, but the original Japanese ROM does.

Tutor arrow keys don't equal joystick, a usb pc joystick works with the emulator. This doesn't look like an emulator I have seen before?

-M@

• Like 1

I'm a little PyuTa hungry, forgive me. :)

In the emulator linked to with the modified source and pitfall.bin, you have to drop in the operating system roms for the Tutor, and name the file IPL.ROM

The version 2.3 ROM doesn't work with the pitfall game, but the original Japanese ROM does.

Tutor arrow keys don't equal joystick, a usb pc joystick works with the emulator. This doesn't look like an emulator I have seen before?

-M@

Thanks a lot! You've understood everythig. But real pyuuta is freezing in title. I think pyuuta is slower than ti-99/4a. Mmm.

Are you not using MAME?

Well the download zip had a different PyuTa emulator in it, and so I was driven to figure out how to run that. I ran 'strings' on the executable to find the names of the OS roms it is looking for. If they were multibyte character named files, I probably wouldn't have succeeded. Anyway, after that I was off and running. This emulator has a debugger in it, which is a nice value add over MAME. (Unless I'm wrong about MAME)

And if the question is about MAME uptake, I do have tomy tutor MAME emulation setup somewhere on that computer...

-M@

Thanks a lot! You've understood everythig. But real pyuuta is freezing in title. I think pyuuta is slower than ti-99/4a. Mmm.

Oh, sorry to hear that it is freezing. I wouldn't think that the Pyuuta is slower than the TI-99/4A. I don't know though. We have another computer, the Geneve 9640 that uses the 9995 processor. I think, by default that uses the processor's built in wait state generation and is still a few times faster than the 4A.

I haven't looked at if the Pyuuta uses the wait state on or off. But even on, I would expect it to be faster. The Pyuuta runs the CPU at a lower clock speed too (10.??Mhz / 4), though. If the 9995 was at full speed using a 12Mhz crystal with 1 wait state, it would be about 25% faster than a 9900 with no waitstates. (At least that is what I infer from timings on Stuart Conner's website regarding these CPUs outside of the confines of these computer systems. However, in the 4A, we have severe wait states. So the 4A should be a lot slower.

The 9918 VDP has some kind of overrun issue. Could this be a case of the the CPU overrunning the VDP? I never read anything about what the symptoms are for that overrun issue. Maybe some of our experts here can rule that out?

--

Also, how have you configured your ROM to test on real hardware? I'd love to know. I want to recreate the Japanese cartridge adapter for the back of my US Tutor, and also be able to recreate cartridges.

I would guess that /CS ROM1 is high by default, and so you have it controlling the most significant address bit on a 32k x 8 eprom. So eprom offsets >0000 to >3FFF are in the beginning of the eprom and only visible when /CS ROM1 goes LOW.

Is that correct? I don't own any 32k cartridges, so I'm just speculating based on the cartridge port pinouts :)

-M@

This emulator has a debugger in it, which is a nice value add over MAME. (Unless I'm wrong about MAME)

And if the question is about MAME uptake, I do have tomy tutor MAME emulation setup somewhere on that computer...

I just wanted to point out that MAME has a Pyuuta emulation as well as Tomy Tutor, but I don't know much about other emulators in that area, so just in case you want to try another one.

Concerning the debugger, start MAME with "-debug". Works with the TI/Geneve emulation as well, of course.

• Like 2

Oh, sorry to hear that it is freezing. I wouldn't think that the Pyuuta is slower than the TI-99/4A. I don't know though. We have another computer, the Geneve 9640 that uses the 9995 processor. I think, by default that uses the processor's built in wait state generation and is still a few times faster than the 4A.

I haven't looked at if the Pyuuta uses the wait state on or off. But even on, I would expect it to be faster. The Pyuuta runs the CPU at a lower clock speed too (10.??Mhz / 4), though. If the 9995 was at full speed using a 12Mhz crystal with 1 wait state, it would be about 25% faster than a 9900 with no waitstates. (At least that is what I infer from timings on Stuart Conner's website regarding these CPUs outside of the confines of these computer systems. However, in the 4A, we have severe wait states. So the 4A should be a lot slower.

The 9918 VDP has some kind of overrun issue. Could this be a case of the the CPU overrunning the VDP? I never read anything about what the symptoms are for that overrun issue. Maybe some of our experts here can rule that out?

--

Also, how have you configured your ROM to test on real hardware? I'd love to know. I want to recreate the Japanese cartridge adapter for the back of my US Tutor, and also be able to recreate cartridges.

I would guess that /CS ROM1 is high by default, and so you have it controlling the most significant address bit on a 32k x 8 eprom. So eprom offsets >0000 to >3FFF are in the beginning of the eprom and only visible when /CS ROM1 goes LOW.

Is that correct? I don't own any 32k cartridges, so I'm just speculating based on the cartridge port pinouts :)

-M@

pyuuta cartridge pin out

http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/PyuutaJR/EnrPtj.htm

pyuuta emulator

http://takeda-toshiya.my.coocan.jp/pyuta/index.html

I've made 8k cartridge with KiCad

http://www.geocities.jp/parallel_computer_inc/cart.html

And I've made RAM & ROM cartridge, too. It also can run 32k cartride.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tanam/20170304/1488595954

Thanks

• Like 2

I just wanted to point out that MAME has a Pyuuta emulation as well as Tomy Tutor, but I don't know much about other emulators in that area, so just in case you want to try another one.

Concerning the debugger, start MAME with "-debug". Works with the TI/Geneve emulation as well, of course.

Cool! There was a link earlier showing the Pitfall game running in MAME. :) http://atariage.com/forums/topic/158467-pitfall-binaries-and-source-code/?p=3711004

I'll definitely take a go with that debugger, I was unaware of.

-M@

• 10 months later...

Finally, It works on japanese tomy pyuuta, jr and mk2. Maybe work on tutor.

This is very interesting work. A few years ago I started doing a Tutor version of Pitfall but got sidetracked.

I remember that at the time the biggest problem was debugging. I used Mame (or was it Mess) for emulation at the time, guess that the debugger has improved a lot by now.

Basically there should be many TI-99/4a games that can be converted for Tomy Tutor and Pyuata. Especially the ones were there is assembly source code available, run from ROM and only use scratchpad. Having said that TI-Invaders and Munchman should also be good candidates and perhaps a few of the shortn sweet machine code games.

This is very interesting work. A few years ago I started doing a Tutor version of Pitfall but got sidetracked.

I remember that at the time the biggest problem was debugging. I used Mame (or was it Mess) for emulation at the time, guess that the debugger has improved a lot by now.

Basically there should be many TI-99/4a games that can be converted for Tomy Tutor and Pyuata. Especially the ones were there is assembly source code available, run from ROM and only use scratchpad. Having said that TI-Invaders and Munchman should also be good candidates and perhaps a few of the shortn sweet machine code games.

TMS9995 is faster than TMS9900, I wrote NOP before accessing VDP. And I've made PITFALL! debug version.

http://www.geocities.jp/parallel_computer_inc/pitfalldbg.zip

I think so too. If TI's source code is available, then it's not difficult converting TI to TUTOR ; )

• Like 1

TMS9995 is faster than TMS9900, I wrote NOP before accessing VDP. And I've made PITFALL! debug version.

http://www.geocities.jp/parallel_computer_inc/pitfalldbg.zip

I think so too. If TI's source code is available, then it's not difficult converting TI to TUTOR ; )

Thank you, I will take a look at that and see what is changed :-)

Now I have a question are there differents versions for Tutor, Pyuuta, jr and mk2 or are they all the same?

I suppose keyboard processing is different between Tutor and Pyuuta jr.

I find the Pyuuta jr. very interesting, a TMS9995 game console. Too bad Texas Instruments did not think about that. Would have been a good competitor to the colecovision.

Edited by retroclouds