IGNORED

What 2600 game needs the fastest/best reaction time?

Keatah

I define twitch as you only have your reflexes to rely on. No anticipation. That's why I rule out Kaboom to an extent. You do need some twitch skill, but you can get into a "flow" and begin to anticipate where the bombs are going to fall. Same thing for Dragster. There is nothing unpredictable about it. You do need precise timing, but it is all predictable.

The part of Cosmic Ark, where you have meteors coming from 4 different directions randomly, is the most twitch reliant game that I know of.

• 3 months later...

E.T. should probably be in the list somewhere since so many people can't keep from falling into the wells and can't get back out of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4U3BwlTcY&rel=0&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGBSyZWuEk&rel=0&fmt=18

I will agree with Yar's Revenge. Once you are several rounds in, it take quick reflexes to respond to the angle the Quotile takes to you and try to hit him in flight (hitting him when stationary is like kissing your sister IMO). Also, once you get past the first several cycles in Phoenix, you need quick reaction to avoid the shots raining down from the ufo in the middle area you need to clear to shoot the slimy alien bastard. Just recently got Phoenix and LOVE it. Suprised I never heard about this one being a really good game before. Morgan

Bugs

Your really have to pay attention to where the bugs are, and you have to line up your shot perfectly to shoot the lower enemies, but it all happens so fast you pretty much shoot randomly.

Hectic as hell. But awesome.

No surprise that I would agree with Dragster. If you ain't twitchin' when you're shiftin', you ain't sub-sixin'.

But, for me, I think the best answer is Enduro at night in the fog, that was mentioned earlier. By the time ya get to Day 20-something, with time running out, it's a constant battle between going fast and staying at a speed that doesn't exceed the parameter of your twitch-time.

Bugs

Your really have to pay attention to where the bugs are, and you have to line up your shot perfectly to shoot the lower enemies, but it all happens so fast you pretty much shoot randomly.

Hectic as hell. But awesome.

Bugs? Awesome? That's not what I remember. I remember buying Bugs at a deep discount and still feeling ripped off. But, on your recommendation, I will dig it out and try again. This is a paddle game, right? Morgan

Cosmic Ark

This. When you get to about level 10 and the meteors/asteroids get really fast, its just too hard!

Additionally: Dodge 'em. You not only need to think 2 moves ahead but by the time you have thought 2 moves ahead your player is 2 moves after where you just were and you're about to turn into a pixelated explosion if you don't act fast.

Aww, you guys are missing the craziest one of all: Solar Storm

It's Kaboom crossed with Astrosmash, only WAY faster and harder. People who can destroy Kaboom have problems with Solar Storm

Pure, unadulterated adrenalin right there.

• 2 weeks later...

most of 'em have been covered. ET is out and out BULLS*** for this topic. topic isn't 'what game makes people die cause they didn't RTFM.'

Some other GREAT games that require the speed of the gods, Space Master X-7, Entombed, Oystron, Man Goes Down, Quick Step and Reactor. I'm sure I'll think of more later. This type of game is why the 2600 is still my favorite game console.