IGNORED

Just started buying for my first A400/800

zylon

I've just started collecting/using the 8bit computer line. I've recently bought a 400 and a 600 plus a few games I knew. I'm only going to use them for playing game carts with no drives or add-ons. I've got enough of that with C64. Any good games out there that weren't released on the game consoles? Also, the prices for seemingly common games are way out of proportion when compared to other classic systems.

Rescue on Fractalus! :lust:

Here is a list of cartridge games for the atari computer range

If you only play cartridge games you will miss out on a LOT of really good titles.

I would suggest you get a SIO2SD or a SDrive NUXX. These are both small self powered units. They allow you to play most of the disk based titles. Except you they will all fit on a single SD flash card.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 AM' timestamp='1267095786' post='1950157]

I would suggest you get a SIO2SD or a SDrive NUXX. These are both small self powered units. They allow you to play most of the disk based titles. Except you they will all fit on a single SD flash card.

but not with a standard 400 or 600xl as they only have 16k, barely enough for DOS never mind loading a game:P

and the _nuxx are all sold out

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 AM' timestamp='1267095786' post='1950157]

but not with a standard 400 or 600xl as they only have 16k, barely enough for DOS never mind loading a game:P

and the _nuxx are all sold out

True, but a upgrading a 600XL to 64k is super cheap and easy. You then have a smaller 800xl essentially, with the ability to use disk drives and later XE cartridges.

My 400 and the 600 arrived this week and I got one of them working. The 400's functionality was unknown and missing power supply. The 600 worked on a few games and had all essential parts. Upon looking inside the game slot, I found that 2 pins were rolled inwards over themselves. Apparently a couple games didn't need those 2 pins. So I scrapped the 400, took it's cart connector and installed in the 600.

My 400 and the 600 arrived this week and I got one of them working. The 400's functionality was unknown and missing power supply. The 600 worked on a few games and had all essential parts. Upon looking inside the game slot, I found that 2 pins were rolled inwards over themselves. Apparently a couple games didn't need those 2 pins. So I scrapped the 400, took it's cart connector and installed in the 600.

Good man...

I'd add a 130XE to your list of wanted machines, if you get past just using carts and go for disks etc you will find the extra mem dead handy, not my most favourite keyboard (can't beat the 800 keyboard) but a fine machine.

You need to look for a 1064 it is a plug in 64k upgrade for the 600

I have one with no case, but I am in the uk

Best Electronics still lists the 1064 - for $49.95.

See this page:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/800xl.htm

Trouble is, you could easily buy 800XL/65XE for that price, and then if it's a Yankee 600XL we're talking about, you still don't have the monitor port.

I kind of like the (Yankee since that's where I am) 600XL just to have it in the collection, but I hardly think it's worth fooling with, unless you're either not much into the 8-bit computers (just want to play some cartridges over RF connection) or VERY into the 8-bit computers (want one of each, thankyouverymuch).

• 2 weeks later...

Update: My repaired 600 works fine and plays all games it should. I've also acquired 2 spares rather cheaply since then. One of them works fine but the other one will only play some games. For instance, it glitches then freezes on Centipede and Qix but plays perfect on M.command, Defender, and Galaxian. Based on this, I'm figuring it must be something real simple to fix. Any ideas? :?

Update: My repaired 600 works fine and plays all games it should. I've also acquired 2 spares rather cheaply since then. One of them works fine but the other one will only play some games. For instance, it glitches then freezes on Centipede and Qix but plays perfect on M.command, Defender, and Galaxian. Based on this, I'm figuring it must be something real simple to fix. Any ideas? :?

I usually have problems with cartridge glitches on A2600 and A7800 since the connector gets oxidized/dusty or the cartridge isn't clean. Usually, it's the cartridge on the Atari 8-bit not the connector since it's usually has a cover on XL and A400/A800 to prevent dust.

So far, it does the same exact glitch on all 3 copies of centipede. A long time ago, I had a 32x(sega) that wouldn't play any copies of Cosmic Carnage. I've also ran into 2600s that wouldn't play Starmaster. Maybe this is a similar issue. The centipede splits on every collision and freezes within 2 minutes or first life lost.

So far, it does the same exact glitch on all 3 copies of centipede. A long time ago, I had a 32x(sega) that wouldn't play any copies of Cosmic Carnage. I've also ran into 2600s that wouldn't play Starmaster. Maybe this is a similar issue. The centipede splits on every collision and freezes within 2 minutes or first life lost.

Yeah, the sega 32X has those issues as well with connectors and cartridges. I doubt it's a custom chip given the other cartridges work w/collision detection. On A400/A800, the FP ROM is separate so that could go bad and you can have some games not work that use it. On 600XL/800XL, it's all integrated into one ROM.

I can't tell from the picture if any of the chips are socketed. If any of them are, carefully loosen them up and push back in. I'd do this before swaping anything out. Those sockets can get a little corroded over time and just need a re-seat sometimes.

You can also run the built in self test to check your ram out. I spent a bunch of time tracing signals on my flaky 400 only to find out it just had dirty contacts on the ram card.

Edited by tep392

Not a bad looking machine for $10? Alright, which one of these chips is it? I'll see if I can get one.

Collision detection is GTIA chip but it can be side-effect of something else as well.

I did try out a bunch of cartridges on my 600XL w/16K RAM-- Joust, Atariwriter, Dig Dug, Centipede, Donkey Kong, and Pac-man and they all work fine so it's not a memory issue. Flight Simulator didn't work on my 600XL.

RAM and ROM checked out ok on the test. Whenever I put a Demon Attack game in one of these it goes to the self-test. All chips are socketed on this one and it's slightly different from my other one that needed a cart slot. That's still a lot of chips to try swapping back and forth.

RAM and ROM checked out ok on the test. Whenever I put a Demon Attack game in one of these it goes to the self-test. All chips are socketed on this one and it's slightly different from my other one that needed a cart slot. That's still a lot of chips to try swapping back and forth.

Demon Attack is one of the games that requires a 400/800 OS to run correctly. Disk versions have been patched to fix the problem.

Demon Attack was a game I bought before I got one of the systems working. Since it turned out to be the 600, I got stuck with D.attack, which doesn't play on those. Small price to pay. Las night I swapped every chip I could find a listing for and no improvement so I'm officially putting that one on the parts pile. I think that between the 2 that work and all the parts in the third one, that I should be set for awhile. Been keeping my eyes open for an 800xl, but I'm better off being patient on that.