IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda - Extreme Challenge complete on Youtube!

kareshi

I know I'm not really a community member here but I know there are some excellent gamers on this forum. If anyone's looking for an ass-kicking, yet very rewarding, challenge I submit the following!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Zelda Extreme Challenge, you can read the complete rules at this page for the first quest and this page for the second quest. I'll summarize:

-No sword, shield, ring, boomerang, letter, medicine, extra heart container, magic key, book of magic.

-Must collect Arrow, Bow, Bombs, both Bomb Upgrades, Recorder, Ladder, Raft, Meat, Wand, Silver Arrows.

(First quest - Must collect Red Candle, while Blue Candle and Power Bracelet are banned.)

(Second quest - Must collect Blue Candle and Power Bracelet, while Red Candle is banned.)

-Can't kill any overworld enemies, even by accident.

-Must visit every room of every dungeon, get every map and compass, and kill every boss in each dungeon at least once even if they're not the dungeon's main boss.

The goal is to reach Ganon's room. You can't beat Ganon with no sword, so you can't actually save Zelda :(

The road is long and dangerous. But the sense of accomplishment is wonderful :)

Each part is about an hour long and all have full-length audio commentary so you can tell what's going on and I'll talk about what I know about every step of the way.

These were all recorded from a normal NES console with no cheating.

On a related note, which would be more difficult, Wooden Sword quest or Green Tunic quest? That is, you can get all the other items like normal, but for the former, you cannot get the White/Master Swords, and for the latter, you cannot get the Blue/Red ring. I didn't mention the famous sword-less quest because (as you said) it's not possible to win the game without at least a wooden sword.

On a related note, which would be more difficult, Wooden Sword quest or Green Tunic quest? That is, you can get all the other items like normal, but for the former, you cannot get the White/Master Swords, and for the latter, you cannot get the Blue/Red ring. I didn't mention the famous sword-less quest because (as you said) it's not possible to win the game without at least a wooden sword.

I usually don't get rings when I play casually. But if you're allowed potions, the Blue or Red Ring isn't really necessary. Ganon can kill you pretty quick if you're unlucky, but the rest of the game can be dealt with just fine.

Wooden Sword wouldn't be that different from normal play either, if you are allowed to get the Wand. That item has the power of the White Sword, except you can't kill Wizzrobes with it. So I guess either one would be fine to a decent Zelda player.

I usually don't get rings when I play casually. But if you're allowed potions, the Blue or Red Ring isn't really necessary. Ganon can kill you pretty quick if you're unlucky, but the rest of the game can be dealt with just fine.

Wooden Sword wouldn't be that different from normal play either, if you are allowed to get the Wand. That item has the power of the White Sword, except you can't kill Wizzrobes with it. So I guess either one would be fine to a decent Zelda player.

Actually, you CAN kill Wizzrobes and Darknuts with the Wand. You have to hit them with the Wand itself, as the attack animation is just like with Link stabbing at with a sword.

Actually, you CAN kill Wizzrobes and Darknuts with the Wand. You have to hit them with the Wand itself, as the attack animation is just like with Link stabbing at with a sword.

Darknuts yes, wizzrobes no.