IGNORED

Sprites Larger than 8 Pixels?

Krayt88

Is it possible to make sprites larger than 8 pixels? The sprite I'm trying to make is 11x14. bB wont display sprites bigger than 8 pixels but the sprite I'm working on isn't worth using if its not 11 pixels wide. Is it possible to make bigger pixels accepted or do I have to combine two sprites or something?

Thanks,

Krayt

In order to make an 11x14 sprite, you'd need to combine two characters. 8 pixels is the largest width size, unless you stretch your player to a double size or quad-size using the NUSIZ0 or 1, but even then it's still limited at 8 pixels, it would just have the pixels be larger.

In order to make an 11x14 sprite, you'd need to combine two characters. 8 pixels is the largest width size, unless you stretch your player to a double size or quad-size using the NUSIZ0 or 1, but even then it's still limited at 8 pixels, it would just have the pixels be larger.

Ah, ok, I thought it might be something like that. How do you combine two characters? Are there any good tutorials out there?

Thanks

What I would do is have player0 be half of the sprite (in this case, 6 pixels), and player1 be the other half. Then set player1's x position 6 pixels to the right of player0's (and having the y position be the same). Of course, these would be the only two players on the screen, unless you want to employ flickering (either by the multisprite minikernel or not.) And also, you want to draw the sprites upside down as they flip vertically when displayed on the screen for some reason I don't know. So it would look something like this:

player0:
(add player0 sprite data here)
end

player1:
(add player1 sprite data here)
end

main
COLUP0=(number between 0 and 255), COLUP1=(same as COLUP0)

player0x=70 : player0y=48
player1x=76 : player1y=48

drawscreen

goto main

Unfortunately, this code thing on the forums doesn't work very well. In my example, every line except the two ends and main should be indented.

If you really want to explore what bB can do, I suggest taking a look at Random Terrain's website, which is available if you download vbB (click on batari Basic commands on the front page of vbB.)

Edited by atari2600land

Alright, I'm trying that but when I do I get the following error message:

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003

default.bas.asm (1586): error: Syntax Error '#,'.

default.bas.asm (1586): error: Syntax Error '#,'.

default.bas.asm (1590): error: Syntax Error ''.

default.bas.asm (1590): error: Illegal Addressing mode 'lda ='.

bytes of ROM space left

Unrecoverable error(s) in pass, aborting assembly!

Complete.

Errors were encountered during assembly.

What does this mean?

I made a typo, there should be a colon instead of a comma between COLUP0 and COLUP1.

Ah, that makes sense, but now I'm getting

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003

bytes of ROM space left

2424 bytes of ROM space left

2424 bytes of ROM space left

--- Unresolved Symbol List

COLUP2 0000 ???? (R )

player2height 0000 ???? (R )

player2pointerhi 0000 ???? (R )

player2pointerlo 0000 ???? (R )

player2x 0000 ???? (R )

player2y 0000 ???? (R )

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.

Errors were encountered during assembly.

player2 is the second sprite I want to attach to the first one, obviously.

The only sprites available are player0 and player1. If you want to use players 2-5, put "set kernel multisprite" in the beginning of the code. Then, remember that the y values are upside down when using it (i.e. 10 is near the bottom of the screen while 80 is near the top.)

Probably the best way to achieve this is by using flicker to display a player sprite at x during even frames and at x + 8 during odd frames. It's probably not worth using up both player objects to draw a single item in batari's standard kernel.

If you want the sprite to move, this will require you to reserve an additional variable for the "big sprite's" x value (i.e "dim myspriteX") , rather than using the predefined player0x/player1x variables. Set the position of the sprite to myspriteX and myspriteX + 8 on alternating frames. You would then manipulate myspriteX in your code to move the 16-wide sprite.

I'm actually writing a game in the multisprite kernel that uses a 16-wide sprite, but I still flicker player0 rather than use other combinations (player0+virtual sprite or virtual sprite+virtual sprite) to prevent one half of the character from flickering or disappearing when the spritelines overlap other player1 virtual sprites.