IGNORED

atari 130xe video problem. atari 8-bit monitor

hey guys, new to forum, first post.

anyways. i have an atari 130XE i wanted to set up but it seems to have issues. at first i tried hooking it up to a commodore monitor and the colors were WAY off. even adjusting everything with the dials i still couldn't get it right. i then tried a regular small tv i have and it supriseingly the picture was better, still not good but better which suprised me since i figured the monitor would produce a better picture.

i then tried hooking up my 800XL and the picture was much much better then the 130XE. again the tv offered a better picture then the monitor.

my question is do 130's have inferior image quality to the 800 or is it a possibile issue with my 130? what would make a good monitor with an atari 8-bit? my tv small tv seems to work well but i wanted to eventually get a cable to use S-video and my tv doesn't have an S-video input, i'm pretty sure the 130 can output s-video but can the 800?

thanks!

anyways. i have an atari 130XE i wanted to set up but it seems to have issues. at first i tried hooking it up to a commodore monitor and the colors were WAY off. even adjusting everything with the dials i still couldn't get it right. i then tried a regular small tv i have and it supriseingly the picture was better, still not good but better which suprised me since i figured the monitor would produce a better picture.

i then tried hooking up my 800XL and the picture was much much better then the 130XE. again the tv offered a better picture then the monitor.

my question is do 130's have inferior image quality to the 800 or is it a possibile issue with my 130? what would make a good monitor with an atari 8-bit? my tv small tv seems to work well but i wanted to eventually get a cable to use S-video and my tv doesn't have an S-video input, i'm pretty sure the 130 can output s-video but can the 800?

thanks!

Your monitor sucks and/or your cables suck. Monitor usually gives a better image using A/V inputs since it's less likely to get noise/interference which is more probably on RF line. Don't wrap the RF line around your furnace before hooking up to your TV.

The Atari 800 and 130XE have chroma and luma on the DIN connector. The 800XL probably doesn't.

Some 130XE machines had bad GTIA chips. They worked, but the colours were way off.

A properly functioning stock 130XE should match or exceed a stock 800XL on video quality

Also note there should be an adjustment POT accessible from under the machine. Try adjusting this while the display is running and see how the colours change.

Some 130XE machines had bad GTIA chips. They worked, but the colours were way off.

A properly functioning stock 130XE should match or exceed a stock 800XL on video quality

Also note there should be an adjustment POT accessible from under the machine. Try adjusting this while the display is running and see how the colours change.

adjusted the pot but not much diffrence. also tried compairing it to the 800xl useing the same cables and monitors and still worse quality from the 130xe. looks to be a bad system. i'm guessing fixing it is more trouble then its worth and i guess that means i'm in the market for a 130, though i do prefer the cartridge slot position on the 800xl.

adjusted the pot but not much diffrence. also tried compairing it to the 800xl useing the same cables and monitors and still worse quality from the 130xe. looks to be a bad system. i'm guessing fixing it is more trouble then its worth and i guess that means i'm in the market for a 130, though i do prefer the cartridge slot position on the 800xl.

If your GTIA in 130XE is socketed, you can try swapping it with the one in 800XL. Usually, it isn't the GTIA chip but circuit external to it that can cause colors/shades to go off. I have fixed quite a few Atari 8-bits and it was never the GTIA chip that went bad. It's a pain fixing if chips are soldered.