IGNORED

Doom 1.5?

sh3-rg

Here's a video of me trying Doom 2 level 1 on the Jaguar.

A friend of mine has been exploring the inner depths of the Jaguar Doom WAD file format, stripping it down & learning all about the different component parts & how they work together. This video is of a .rom he sent to me to look at - level 1 of Doom 2 - I wouldn't know myself, I'm not massively up on any version of Doom other than the Jaguar one & I haven't played for around 15 years, but that's what he tells me it is.

As you'll see there is a little bug with the outside world part, looks a bit crazy ;) That's no big deal apparently.

I think the aim of what he is doing in his explorations is to push the Jaguar version of Doom, see what it can & can't handle. After that, who knows? Just thought some people might be interested in seeing a little of what he has been doing.

• Like 3

Here's a video of me trying Doom 2 level 1 on the Jaguar.

A friend of mine has been exploring the inner depths of the Jaguar Doom WAD file format, stripping it down & learning all about the different component parts & how they work together. This video is of a .rom he sent to me to look at - level 1 of Doom 2 - I wouldn't know myself, I'm not massively up on any version of Doom other than the Jaguar one & I haven't played for around 15 years, but that's what he tells me it is.

As you'll see there is a little bug with the outside world part, looks a bit crazy ;) That's no big deal apparently.

I think the aim of what he is doing in his explorations is to push the Jaguar version of Doom, see what it can & can't handle. After that, who knows? Just thought some people might be interested in seeing a little of what he has been doing.

WOW! is your friend going to do more with the Jag's Doom?

WOW! is your friend going to do more with the Jag's Doom?

Yes he's continuing to figure things out, but tbh I've not chatted to him all that much about it in any great depth, just a few emails & a chat or two on irc. I'll see if I can catch him some time this week & get some more info from him.

How about you prove it's not already at your house? I can take my friends word - who i've known half my life - or the word of someone online. He says he shipped it, you're saying he hasn't.

Would you believe a family member or a strange man with a gun?

EDIT: I would like other peoples opinions on this now that both sides have been stated.

Man this totally rocks. Makes me wish Doom II came out for the jag after seeing this.

Man this totally rocks. Makes me wish Doom II came out for the jag after seeing this.

Looks like it still can. Look forward to seeing more done to make a Doom 2 like environment happen on the Jaguar.

How about you prove it's not already at your house? I can take my friends word - who i've known half my life - or the word of someone online. He says he shipped it, you're saying he hasn't.

Would you believe a family member or a strange man with a gun?

EDIT: I would like other peoples opinions on this now that both sides have been stated.

Man thats totally odd wre that quote came from its from a thread I read like a few days ago in the Marketplace about ppls opinon on selling stuff for a friend with out informing the buyer. Guess I must of hit the quote button with our realizing it and it stayed in browser catch till I posted today..odd.. Please ignore the quoted comments

Edited by busterm

Looks like it still can. Look forward to seeing more done to make a Doom 2 like environment happen on the Jaguar.

:D Awesome!!, I want to try Doom 2 on my Jaguar also!!! - I hope the rest of us will get a chance to play it on our Jags too!! WoooHoooo!

amazing! I'd love to see Doom 2 one day on my Jag! :lust:

I don't think it'd be impossible to see something based on the levels of Doom 2, but considering the Jaguar version of Doom has a number of compromises & omissions, it might not feel exactly like the original. I will reconfirm his intentions/goals with this project and report back, but I got more of an impression that he was interested in creating something new while also discovering the boundaries of what might be possible/doable. Maybe he will make an AA account & come here & tell you for himself, I think he's reluctant to say too much or create too much interest before he can deliver. I hope I've not upset him by posting the video - I'm sure I'll find out soon enough ^_^

Send your friend my congrats. Nice to see someone else hacking on Jaguar Doom.

I don't think id Software would be cool with Doom II on the Jag though (unless he licensed it). In my talks with John Carmack about using the Doom source code to Jaguar Doom (verifying it was GPL), he was adamant about the id assets (the WAD) not being used in any manner. Basically as long as I honored the GPL when it comes to the source and we did our own assets he was cool with it. With id being acquired by ZeniMax, John doesn't have the authority to make decisions anymore when it comes to their IP.

So doing your own assets is the way to go (and not that difficult as your friend has probably learned).

Again kudos to your friend.

I'm putting up some more videos now - level 1 fixed sky (not a proper fix apparently, said he's going to implement proper Doom II sky), level 2 & level 3. He did say he's got a much better idea of the limits of Jaguar Doom's engine by doing this but still plans to convert more levels over, so I suppose I'll have to make more videos of me being crap at playing them :P

I would also love to see this but, as has already been stated, there won't be any legal route to releasing this. It isn't even Carmack's call anymore. It is Zenimax's call and I don't think there is any chance that they would even express an interest in considering it. I only state that as there are people expressing hopes for release and that obviously isn't the purpose behind this. This is really cool though and I like watching these videos. The more people out there playing with the jagdoom code and the wad format the better.