IGNORED

Pac-Man is the worst game!

Tanman

1) I only just joined your precious forum two days ago.

2) Was the Comic Book Guy on the Simpson's based on you? If you read your post with that voice, it sounds just like him.

3) I didn't post to be popular. I am popular enough with my newly found Air Raid cart. Which I now wear on a gold chain around my neck. Nerd Bling!

1. It's Al's forum, I only work here.

2. Tone intended.

3. Air Raid carts went out of style with Quadruns and Waterworlds.

Tempest

I actually like Pac Man as it is name and all. When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to go to the local arcade so I didn't get exposed to the original game until much later. So getting Pac Man for the 2600 when I was a kid was a good experience and to this day I still enjoy playing it from time to time.

• Like 1

Congratulations! You get +1 "I wanna be popular" points for parroting mindless statements that have been argued ad nauseum for the last 15 years on every classic gaming board known to man.

For the extra +5 bonus points please tell us how:

A. E.T. caused the gaming crash

B. Atari should have sold the NES when Nintendo offered it to them

C. The Jaguar was (or was not) a 64-Bit system.

+ 2K Monies if you can work some C-64 or Amiga bashing into your argument.

Tempest

Good one. Wish I could have been as creative when I saw this topic AGAIN.

I still some times play 2600 pac-man. It was what I had when I was growing up, and played it on a 9 inch B&W TV, so I remember it better than the real one.

Yes, sometime I will toggle the TV switch to B&W.

Congratulations! You get +1 "I wanna be popular" points for parroting mindless statements that have been argued ad nauseum for the last 15 years on every classic gaming board known to man.

For the extra +5 bonus points please tell us how:

A. E.T. caused the gaming crash

B. Atari should have sold the NES when Nintendo offered it to them

C. The Jaguar was (or was not) a 64-Bit system.

+ 2K Monies if you can work some C-64 or Amiga bashing into your argument.

Tempest

WOW! Someone's underwear is too tight today. Here is a list of my own:

1) I only just joined your precious forum two days ago.

2) Was the Comic Book Guy on the Simpson's based on you? If you read your post with that voice, it sounds just like him.

3) I didn't post to be popular. I am popular enough with my newly found Air Raid cart. Which I now wear on a gold chain around my neck. Nerd Bling!

Wow. You have an Air Raid good job on that. Even though I think your story on that is a little suspect. Might you be that same guy from Texas who pulled his auction on E-Bay last year? In my opinion you are just drawing up interest again (with a new A.A. name) for your Air Raid that you are soon going to try to sell on E-Bay (again).

There are many Pac-Man 2600 bashing threads here, so post on them. Tempest is probably the fairest moderator here. And I think it is a bad idea to bash him.

Edited by ericwierson

Anyone know why the power pellets ended up as rectangles? it doesn't seem that it could be so hard to turn a rectangle into a square at least.

Nothing seems too difficult if you've never tried to program the machine. Getting the energizers to be a different shape than the rest of the dots is one of the things that the game did right. How "square" they appear onscreen would vary depending on the user's television display, I'd think. But the objects are drawn/erased at those specific points in the display because that was good opportunities to do so within the program.

Some things that the game does correctly are hardly ever mentioned (like the "ghosts" all being different colors...they are).

Another thing that this game does correctly but receives little recognition for is 2-player variations. Almost all other games that use this theme don't include one. Those that do, don't preserve screen data between "lives" (with the exception of Jawbreaker - where the "maze" is not even close to the complexity of Pac-Man's). In that sense, gameplay is more faithful to the arcade machine than Ms and Jr are...neither of which were limited to using only native resources/no bankswitching.

Everything is tradeoffs. Alien features smaller objects to be collected/eaten, but the maze is also less complex (and features only 3 chasing opponents). Jawbreaker feaures more opponents, but they are unable to chase the player vertically. Lock'N'Chase features a complex maze and 4 opponents, but cannot draw detailed shapes for those opponents (and only 2 are able to move toward/within any given horizontal band). Newer homebrews offer more faithful gameplay, but don't offer 2-player variations.

So really, the fact is that Pac-Man is the best game (to date) that does what it does using only native resources and no backswitching. Not only that, but it was given the freedom to take as many liberties as it wanted, since it was the first "official" port for the machine.

Those that don't agree can try to make a better one. To be fair, it should adhere to the practices of the time period: a non-black background to showcase the console's color capability, no "illegal" opcodes, color-cycling for input timeout, not using any coding techniques not already in use (unless the programmer invents a new one that has never been used before).

• Like 4

Concerning the original Pac-man 2600... good game, poor conversion. Nothing to add beyond that.

Since there are some new people in this thread, they may be interested in the updated version that was done back in 1999. There is a link to the rom file on that page for playing in Stella or uploading to your Harmony cart.

I actually like Pac Man as it is name and all. When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to go to the local arcade so I didn't get exposed to the original game until much later. So getting Pac Man for the 2600 when I was a kid was a good experience and to this day I still enjoy playing it from time to time.

I've read that sentiment before and it shows the importance of perspective. I was on the opposite side of the coin. I remember opening up one of those little game booklets, seeing Pac-man was to come out and how excited I was to finally be able to play the arcade game at home. I daydreamed of gobbling dots while being chased by ghost, all on my very own tv. When I finally got the game, it was a big let down. Still fun to play though and definately not the worst game.

Off topic, but I don't understand why so many people bash Defender. I got that one when it first came out, and compared with other games of that time period, it was a great port and a lot of fun to play. Being easier than the arcade version was a big plus. I spent many hours playing that one.

I remember playing Pac-Man on the 2600 when I was younger and thinking it was 'alright'. I wasn't great (I had the far superior 8-bit version), but at the time I didn't think it was god awful either. I seem to recall being amused that it looked so different, but for some reason that added to the charm.

Tempest

I remeber getting Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 right when it came out. I was disappointed but I still enjoyed the game and played it.

So ya it was disappointing back in the day but it still wasn't that bad. I didn't own them back in the day but I think Earthworld and Fireworld were worse than pac-man

I hope that wasn't aimed at me, Tempest. I have the highest respect for you and for your work on your site, and that felt like a cheap shot. :ponder:

Nah. It was just a general comment about these types of posts. It seems like every time we get a new member here they have to rehash the same tired old arguments. Just blowing off some steam in a comical way, I wasn't taking a cheap shot at anyone.

Tempest

I think for new members the "same tired old arguments" are "new arguments". There is enough space at the AA forums for discussing these old

arguments....

Long-time members should be tolerant...

BTW I like Pac-Man for the 2600!

I remeber getting Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 right when it came out. I was disappointed but I still enjoyed the game and played it.

So ya it was disappointing back in the day but it still wasn't that bad. I didn't own them back in the day but I think Earthworld and Fireworld were worse than pac-man

I never played Earthworld or Fireworld 'back in the day', but if I had, I probaly would have thought they were pretty bad also. :)

And I'll defend the other poster who liked the 2600 port of Defender. I had that also as a kid, and compared to Pac-Man played the heck out of that one. Sure, it had flicker, but it was much easier then the arcade port which was good for a young kid.

And I'll defend the other poster who liked the 2600 port of Defender.

AH, a "Defender" defender!

Personally I didn't like it, but then again, I sucked on the arcade version.

And as for Pac-Man, I thought it was an abomination. I remember my cousin got it before I did, and was appalled at how pathetic it looked. It was almost as if someone said make a game that does "XYZ" over the phone, and the programmer never saw the original.

I am not fond of the game play either. But I agree it is not among the worst.