IGNORED

Defender not working

megoninja

Hey guys,

I just got Defender in the mail for my Coleco and I am having some trouble getting it to work. Whenever I turn it on the game seems to work OK but the scanner at the top does not display any thing but terrain. I would have just referred to the other thread (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/159199-is-my-cv-defender-defective/) about this but it does not stop there.

Not only does the scanner not work but the controls don't either. I can move my ship around and fire the normal laser but that is it, no hyperspace and no smart bombs. No matter how much I mash the right button nothing will happen. The control cant be the problem as I use it for other games and if it was a problem then I shouldnt be able to select 1 or 2 players at the start of the game.

The game is from the US (making it an NTSC game) while my Coleco is an Australian PAL machine. I felt this was worth mentioning as the other thread I mentioned used the same combination, perhaps there is a regional issue here but I must make sure, is it possible that Defender carts can be faulty like this?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I love Defender and want to play it!!

thanks

I can't help you with your control problem but I can confirm that your scanner is not broken. This is down to a bug in Defender that is only apparent on PAL (50Hz) ColecoVisions. I used to play Defender on my UK PAL CV and was always frustrated by the scanner not working. The bug can even be seen under emulation - try it in blueMSX and change the video frequency between 50Hz and 60Hz. The scanner only works when the video mode is set to 60Hz (NTSC).

BTW - Regardless of where the game was sold, with ColecoVision cartridges there were absolutely no differences in the game ROM. There were no NTSC or PAL specific versions - they were all the same.

so then there is no PAL colecovision on the planet that can run Defender in any way? That must have caused some real problems half of the colecovision world.

So should I just go and buy the Intellivision version instead?

The only thing that doesn't work when playing Defender on a PAL machine is the scanner - the controls worked fine on my machine. It's a long shot but have you tried cleaning the edge contacts on your cartridge?