IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Fight For Life Proto rom extraction

busterm

I recently won an Atari Jaguar Flash cart of ebay about two weeks ago. It was advertised as a Fight For Life beta cart. It arrived today and in deed come with Fight For Life on it. However Im not sure if this version is any different than the beta already floating around or the retail version.

From what little I played with it today (about 15 mins) the frame rate looked to be smoother and I had a much easier time pulling off moves and beating the computer. This could just be luck or it could mean some differences, Im not sure.

I did not buy the Flash cart because of the Fight For Life beta. I really have no interest in the rom thats currently on it. I purchased the Flash cart to use along side my 2 Skunkboards.

Im looking for any assistance in extracting the image thats currently on it to preserve for the community. I will freely post it online for anyone to share. However I will not mail the cart to anyone so I need someone to walk me through the process. I also will not dissect the cart.

If Im not able to extract the rom on the cart then it will eventually be erased. Though Im in no rush as I do have 2 skunks but it'll eventually lead to that.

Great. You will also need either :

- a BJL cable and a PC with a parallel port (either on the motherboard or on a PCI-(E)/PCMCIA/ExpressCard board -- USB adapters won't work), or

- a JagLink/(s)catbox or similar device, and a PC with a serial port (either integrated, on a PCI-(E)/PCMCIA/ExpressCard board, or an USB adapter : any of those will work)

Do you have that ?

Great. You will also need either :

- a BJL cable and a PC with a parallel port (either on the motherboard or on a PCI-(E)/PCMCIA/ExpressCard board -- USB adapters won't work), or

- a JagLink/(s)catbox or similar device, and a PC with a serial port (either integrated, on a PCI-(E)/PCMCIA/ExpressCard board, or an USB adapter : any of those will work)

Do you have that ?

I have a Windows 98SE Laptop that has a Parallel cable. I also have a Jaglink. I dont not have a BJL cable.

Since you are planning on using the Flash cart as a Flash cart, presumably you have the connection cable and a PC able to run the Atari software for communicating with it, is that correct?

If so you can dump it with the same software that you would use to load a new game on to it. I don't remember the command line switch that's used but it should be in the documentation for the software.

Mitch

I was thinking about tools used for dumping standard cartridges, but you're right, since it's a flash cart using the original software is the most logical way :)

There is some info about the flash cart software in this topic.

Be careful in what you do ; you don't want to erase it by mistake instead of dumping it ;)

Edited by Zerosquare

I was thinking about tools used for dumping standard cartridges, but you're right, since it's a flash cart using the original software is the most logical way :)

There is some info about the flash cart software in this topic.

Be careful in what you do ; you don't want to erase it by mistake instead of dumping it ;)

Thanks I have Flash.com already. But I dont see in that thread the command I would need to extract the rom image off the cart. Does anyone know what the exact command is?

Since you are planning on using the Flash cart as a Flash cart, presumably you have the connection cable and a PC able to run the Atari software for communicating with it, is that correct?

If so you can dump it with the same software that you would use to load a new game on to it. I don't remember the command line switch that's used but it should be in the documentation for the software.

Mitch

I have the flash.com program but thats all I have. It didnt come with any cables. but I do have parallel cables? With a standard parallel cable work?

Mitch

I have the flash.com program but thats all I have. It didnt come with any cables. but I do have parallel cables? With a standard parallel cable work?

I believe it uses a 25 pin parallel cable, but not the Centronix type that plugs into most old printers. One end needs to plug into your parallel port and the other into the flash cart.

I took a quick look and I couldn't find the correct command line for dumping from the flash cart using the flash.exe program. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with the correct command line usage.

Mitch

According to the documentation, it doesn't look like the software even supports dumping the existing contents of the cartridge, it seems like it can only reprogram it.

Back to square one...

I did write some software which can be used to dump cartridges a while ago, although it's not the primary function.

It uses the BJL cable to communicate with the Jaguar, but I could probably modify it to use the Jaglink instead.

At this point you have two options :

- buy or build a BJL cable

- build a serial cable which connect to the JagLink (also used to encrypt CDs)

Edited by Zerosquare

According to the documentation, it doesn't look like the software even supports dumping the existing contents of the cartridge, it seems like it can only reprogram it.

I'm pretty sure it does support it, it's just an undocumented feature.

Mitch

Back to square one...

I did write some software which can be used to dump cartridges a while ago, although it's not the primary function.

It uses the BJL cable to communicate with the Jaguar, but I could probably modify it to use the Jaglink instead.

At this point you have two options :

- buy or build a BJL cable

- build a serial cable which connect to the JagLink (also used to encrypt CDs)

I can build the BJL cable this weekend. I already have most the needed parts from where I had to build a Jtag cable for a bricked GP32 system. I just need to swing by Fry's Electronics this weekend to get a Sub-D male. Will probably do that tomorrow, shouldn't take more than 5mins to build.

So just to make sure Im following along correctly

Jaguar CD

BJL Cable to connect Jaguar controller port to PC

Your software

I'm pretty sure it does support it, it's just an undocumented feature.

Mitch

Still haven't been able to find it. Maybe my memory is bad, wouldn't be the first time.

I hope the BJL method works for you.

Mitch

One way to build the cable easily is to reuse a VGA extension cable (a cheap and thin one with individual wires, not a thick one with coax inside). But beware that some of them have missing or unconnected pins.

I got the part last night but have been so busy today Ive not sat down to build it just yet will get to it after the Simpsons and Family guy. I should of thought about the vga cable. It hadn't even down on my and I already had a couple of those in my junk cords box haha. Oh well the connector was only .80cents.

- Download the cartridge dump program (I'll send it you the link by PM*).

- Convert bjl_dump.bin into a bootable Jaguar CD image using Reboot's ULS.

- Burn the .CDI image file to a CD using Padus DiscJuggler (the free demo version will work fine). Do not use any other software or image conversion tool, as compatibility problems have been reported. Use a high-quality CD-R disc and use the slowest possible speed when burning (the JagCD is pretty picky).

- Connect your PC's parallel port to the Jaguar's right joypad port using the BJL cable.

- Start the CD on the Jaguar. You should see a ULS logo, then an orange screen.

- Start bjl_dump.exe on the PC, ideally from a command line so you can see any potential error messages.

- Go grab a sandwich, the transfer is going to take a bit of time.

- Upload the resulting JAG_GAME.ROM file and let everybody enjoy :)

* I'll release it publicly, since it can be useful in other contexts, if I can be assured that nobody is going to yell "piracy" again.

Edited by Zerosquare

Isn't there a key you can hold when booting to choose which game (CD or cart) should be ran when both are present ?

(I don't have a JagCD so I'm not sure about that).

I just tried holding down C on the jagpad - it booted from cd, not my skunk.

EDIT: tried with a game cart in & although it gave the jaguar cd splash, the game from the cart loaded.