IGNORED

How Do You Open Your Jaguar Boxes Without Destroying Them?

kid_vidiot

There seems to be two kinds of boxes for jaguar carts: the early ones like Iron Soldier and AvP have a solid, basically straight top flap with the small half-oval side flaps, and then the rest of the boxes that have slits cut out of either side on the top flap, and the side flaps have a little curved section cut out of them. It is these boxes with the slits that are impossible to open! The top flap gets all bent up and damaged trying to pry it from the grasp of the side flaps. You cant try to lift it open with your fingers on either side or you will tear the top part where the slits are. Anybody found a way around this? The AvP/Iron Soldier-style boxes open and close easily.

There seems to be two kinds of boxes for jaguar carts: the early ones like Iron Soldier and AvP have a solid, basically straight top flap with the small half-oval side flaps, and then the rest of the boxes that have slits cut out of either side on the top flap, and the side flaps have a little curved section cut out of them. It is these boxes with the slits that are impossible to open! The top flap gets all bent up and damaged trying to pry it from the grasp of the side flaps. You cant try to lift it open with your fingers on either side or you will tear the top part where the slits are. Anybody found a way around this? The AvP/Iron Soldier-style boxes open and close easily.

Just keep the games out of the box as i do with all card boxes for games i found the hard way that if you use them alot you will ruin all of them. The cart should keep in good condition if you put them on a shelf or something.

Oh it's not that bad. Just be careful with the boxes and ya, the flap will get slightly bent, but far from DESTROYED! ;)

Well you could just put some tape on the slit cut flaps so they don't snag when you try to open them.

Edited by kevincal

Yup!, I know exactly what you mean -the slit on each end of the top main flap catches the side flaps. What I do is cut the plastic only around the sides and front of the top of the box. I leave the plastic on the Jag games now for box protection.

To open the top flap and get your game materials out without bending up anything, I have a small knife which I insert, one side at a time, into each slit of the top flap. Just put the blade tip into the slit and point it downwards to prevent the slit from catching the side flap, then open that side of the top, keep it open/ajar and do the otherside to fully open the top without any bending or ripping. :)

so I guess maybe it's just an illustration of atari's handling of the jaguar that they couldn't even make a freakin box that worked like it's supposed to.

Well I cant fault them. Most ppl didnt keep boxes back in those days.

Are we talking about the same point in time Sega had awesome plastic Cases for their games, Same with Neo Geo, Saturn, PS1, and 3DO had plastic cases, granted SNES at that point in time and N64 had similar boxes to the Jags, but even they were made out of sturdier cardboard.

Now the generation before Sega Genesis, would toss the box, very few NES and 2600 gamers, ever kept their box, but even NES and SNES games includede a dust flap...Atari was just being cheap, if they could of just took the manual, and cut the other 20 languages that it included then they could of at least made the cardboard as thick as an SNES box.

so I guess maybe it's just an illustration of atari's handling of the jaguar that they couldn't even make a freakin box that worked like it's supposed to.

Are we talking about the same point in time Sega had awesome plastic Cases for their games, Same with Neo Geo, Saturn, PS1, and 3DO had plastic cases, granted SNES at that point in time and N64 had similar boxes to the Jags, but even they were made out of sturdier cardboard.

Now the generation before Sega Genesis, would toss the box, very few NES and 2600 gamers, ever kept their box, but even NES and SNES games includede a dust flap...Atari was just being cheap, if they could of just took the manual, and cut the other 20 languages that it included then they could of at least made the cardboard as thick as an SNES box.

Atari had big time money problems. They had to cut back in order to survive as long as they did. Overall I think they did a good job. If only it was more widely reported on how much the company was struggling, people wouldn't have been so hard on the Jag. I think Jaguar boxes are AWESOME! The black and colorful layout is really striking and looks a lot better than most other boxes. As long as you aren't rough with your boxes they should stay in fine condition. Sometimes I see a Youtube video and it amazes me how some people handle there gaming stuff. ROUGH to say the least. I've always been very gentle with my game stuff and keep it in great condition. It's almost like some people like to test to see how durable their game stuff is by being rough with it... :P

Yeah I always thought that the different languages on the back of the box and in the instruction manuals was the most un-classy, cheap thing I ever saw a video game company do.

un-classy? :D Really?! Why in the world would that bother you? lol... There is a good reason for the different languages in the manual. It goes back to cost savings. Jaguar games are region free and have the same packaging regardless if they are NTSC or PAL (US or Europe) Except of course for the very rare Japanese Jaguar stuff with Japanese writing. ANYWAY, Atari has had a HUGE following in Europe since the 80's, and the Jaguar was quite popular over there. You might notice a lot of the homebrew stuff is coming out of Europe these days... So that's the reason for the French and German in the manuals along with the English. It was a cost cutting measure in the end.

Also remember Atari sued Sega for millions shortly after the Jag came out. You know, the Jag probably would have died much sooner had not Atari gotten that money. I think that is the only reason Atari sued Sega, to stay alive a bit longer...

Also, continuing with the money thing, I believe it is the main reason the Jag was slagged so much in mainstream media. Other companies like Sega and Nintendo and Sony could give perks to video game magazines etc. Free games and such. I've read more than once how Atari made people send games back after they were reviewed etc. I think Atari just couldn't afford to give anyone perks, therefore people in the game industy, who were used to being pampered by other big gaming companies, took a (unfairly) dim view of Atari and the Jaguar.

ALSO some people held a grudge with Atari since the 2600 days when the videogame crash of 1983 left some retailers in a bad situation with overstock. :)

To be fair though, Atari did make some mistakes, obviously. I think they major mistakes they made was releasing the Jaguar too soon. They should have waited until March or April 1994 when Tempest 2000 was ready and made that the pack-in. Now THAT would have been an AWESOME first impression. :) Cybermorph was just plain too difficult for 90% of people who played it. then again T2K is pretty difficult at first too heh..

The other thing is they should have never bothered with the Jag CD. They should have just focused their efforts on getting as much great cart software out as possible. They shouldn't have bothered with the virtual reality stuff either. They made the same mistake as Sega, spreading their resources too thin.

Edited by kevincal
  • Like 2

The Jaguar boxes are exactly the same as SNES boxes, in both size and sturdiness. I've even used SNES cart inserts to fill empty Jag boxes I've acquired in the past, they are perfect match. Also, I don't really find a problem getting the Jag boxes open, just use care, as any collector should.

The Jaguar boxes are exactly the same as SNES boxes, in both size and sturdiness. I've even used SNES cart inserts to fill empty Jag boxes I've acquired in the past, they are perfect match. Also, I don't really find a problem getting the Jag boxes open, just use care, as any collector should.

Except the snes boxes dont have the slits in the top flap that catch the cut outs in the side flaps.

Could you describe your method of opening the jaguar boxes with the slits in the flap? Do you find your top flaps to have bends and creases in the middle where you have to pry it out?

un-classy? :D Really?!
I don't know about other languages, but the French translation on the back of most Jag boxes is so full of mistakes it's hilarious. Not very classy considering it's one of the things you look at when you buy a game ;)

Ah, well of course I didn't know that since I do not know much French. ;) Hey, atleast they tried right? :) They probably had some pot-head from California that was working at Atari do the translation. :grin: Some guy who probably took French in highschool or something. :lol:

Edited by kevincal

Except the snes boxes dont have the slits in the top flap that catch the cut outs in the side flaps.

Could you describe your method of opening the jaguar boxes with the slits in the flap? Do you find your top flaps to have bends and creases in the middle where you have to pry it out?

Try squeezing the sides of the box, it will bow it out without bending, then you can easily slide your thumb/finger in there and work the flap out. Of course some of my boxes have small creases in the middle, that's going to happen even if you are careful. I've never come close to 'destroying' a box trying to get at a cartridge though.

They weren't ever meant to be reuseable. Only with the plastic Sega cases and the advent of CD/DVD games were the containers meant to be used to store the game in.

You know, the funny thing is the first time I looked at a boxed jaguar cartridge I couldn't help but notice how virtually identical it was to SNES boxes, right down to the cartridge holding insert.

*edit*

And looks like someone else already pointed that out, but it's still the truth. ;)

The vast majority of people back in the day never kept the original boxes the games came in however, which would probably explain why it was popular to buy cartridge storage cases and the like. We should be thankful anybody bothered to keep them really. :P

Edited by Mord

Also, just double checked a couple of my boxes and noticed the slits thing wasn't uniform.

My copy of Iron Soldier for instance doesn't have slits on the sides on the top of the box.

My flashback copy does however.

Yes I noted that in the first post

Their is another solution if you want to modify old school EA/ACCOLAID plastic Genesis cases, these are slightly larger fame boxes vs old school genesis games, you will have to shave a little bit of the plastic on the enterior of the box so that the game can fit in the frame that was made for 2 diffrent size games, then jus t put the game upside down (title face down, and it even has a slot for your manual, if you need a cover then just print it off from Atariage, now take your box and store it in another box in a closet to try to keep the ligt from hitting it, problem solved.

Sorry but Atari, was always trying to preach how they were the best value in videogaming, and I paid the same $50 or so per cart at the time that most new games were $40, so I wish Atari would of given me a good box.

But, In Ataris defense I have one with a Jag CD attached to it and it still works 16 years later, yet I was disscussing the Xbox 360 and the rings of death, with 4 or 5 guys at my work, and if they got 3years out of the 360 then they feal that they did good, so at least Atari made a system that looks very cheap (the back of the unit has nothing covering up the computer board that everything attaches to.)last a very long time.

So true. My friends threw them away while I always kept mine.