IGNORED

Best Game?

Dastari Creel

Has there ever been a poll of the best game for the 2600? If so, what won or what are the contenders that constantly rank near the top if there are many winners. I've just gotten an Atari after 2 decades without one and I want to pick up the best games. This can include homebrews.

• Like 1

At the top of the 2600 forum there is a topic called Top 100 2600 games of all time. Might want to check that out.

Yeah but...everyone has a different answer...that's to be expected of course but I was hoping that someone may have created a poll or something to combine many different sets of opinions to try and distill the games that a large number of people all agree are great.

• Like 1

At the top of the 2600 forum there is a topic called Top 100 2600 games of all time. Might want to check that out.

Yeah but...everyone has a different answer...that's to be expected of course but I was hoping that someone may have created a poll or something to combine many different sets of opinions to try and distill the games that a large number of people all agree are great.

I liked the poll at the top because he used a point system to come up with the rankings, but if can come up with something better go for it. AA members love to vote for their favorite games.

• Like 1

Here's our Top 100 Downloads list:

http://www.atarimania.com/top-atari-game-atari-2600-vcs-_G_2_D.html

It was generated during the past six years.

Gives a good impression of the most popular VCS games.

8)

• Like 1

8)

Wow, Enduro at #1 even beating out River Raid. That's nice to see. Enduro is a personal favorite, and pretty technically impressive for the 2600. I wasn't aware it was so popular, you don't see people talking about it all the time like you do River Raid, Yar's Revenge, Atlantis, etc.

• Like 2

I think most homebrews are better than most classic titles... Just a fact of life. We know more about what can be done and also have more general ideas of what kinds of games are fun (new genres that weren't represented in the arcade or home systems back then). A lot of homebrews are still based on old arcade titles or ports of games from other systems. I understand that most of the older atarisoft games were based on arcade games (though not licensed ports). I'd like to see a list of which were from which games etc.

But personally I think you'd be better off going by company than title... i'd say get all the activision games, then some imagic and go from there. Naming individual titles is sorta pointless. I don't like adventure nearly as much as most people here, but they swear by it. My favorite 2600 game is montezuma's revenge, which is somewhat pricey though nothing compared to a brand new title for a current gen system, really.

It'd be cool to see what metacritic would do with atari. Famous titles would rate higher than they should based on that alone, i'd think.

• Like 1

8)

Road Runner didn't make it into the top 100. :(

• Like 1

Road Runner didn't make it into the top 100. :(

I agree with you. Roadrunner definitely deserves to be in a list of Top 100 Atari games. Keep in mind that Road Runner was released late in the life of the Atari 2600 (1989), a time when most gamers had already moved on to other gaming consoles. There is a huge population of gamers, who are not collectors, who don't even know Road Runner was released for the 2600. Old gamers tend to download the games they remember playing.

• Like 1

Yep. The true test of what the best (not greatest/most important, which could include 2600 pacman and ET) games are would be having someone (or a group of 100 or so someones) who has never heard of or seen any of the games, systems or licensed properties associated with them try every game known to man.

To this end I am building a soundproof bunker beneath my home and kidnapping 100 babies. We'll have the results in about fifteen years.

Don't worry, i'll be very nice to them.

• Like 1

I don't know if I could name a favorite, so I'll just tell you what I'm playing:

Rived Raid 1

Mountain King

Also near the system are an entire stack of Fox games (only missing Earth Dies Screaming), Dodge 'Em, Stella's Stocking, Outer Space, Laser Gates, Air Sea Battle, and Name This Game.