IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Ethernet and Contiki - Want your help!

Cybernoid

why the case looks like sawed off?

Because a stock Atari cart case is too small. I am using a small instrument case. I just cut the end off to make it into the cartridge case. It fits fine in the Atari computers, and it was MUCH cheaper than having something manufactured. You only notice it in the picture because of the way the light hit the plactic when I took the picture. I might try rubbing a bit of acitone on the edges to blend, but at the moment it is a minor issue.

Edited by puppetmark

will it fit 1200xl?

Yep. Compared to a "normal" cart shell, The shell is just longer, very close in thickness, and bit less wide. Here is a link to the shell, you can download a technical drawing:

http://www.pactecenc...d=51&classid=27

BTW, it took several days and samples to find a workable shell!

Edited by puppetmark

Would it be possible for you to make your pcb layout using the IP Dragon II with the pins on the other side to reduce the configuration to fit more easily into a cart case? iet8900-51_350.JPGImage showing a customized connector layout

From their web page->http://www.invector.se/iet8900.asp

Good thought. The IP dragon boards I just received came with the header pins unsoldered so it would certainly be possible to have the pins on top. I think that's what the developers of the apple ethernet cart did. Fitting it into an exsisting cart would be way cool.

Thanks for the input. suggestions are always welcome.

I guess for some reason you weren't able to use the pins comming out the other side so you could fit it without the jack comming out the front?

Would it be possible for you to make your pcb layout using the IP Dragon II with the pins on the other side to reduce the configuration to fit more easily into a cart case? iet8900-51_350.JPGImage showing a customized connector layout

From their web page->http://www.invector.se/iet8900.asp

Good thought. The IP dragon boards I just received came with the header pins unsoldered so it would certainly be possible to have the pins on top. I think that's what the developers of the apple ethernet cart did. Fitting it into an exsisting cart would be way cool.

Thanks for the input. suggestions are always welcome.

I guess for some reason you weren't able to use the pins comming out the other side so you could fit it without the jack comming out the front?

Candle is right, and besides the cooling issues, I couldn't make it fit that way with the other components that needed room on the PCB.

Edited by puppetmark

There is enough air space around the chip, so that's not necessary. (passive cooling) Also, that bottom of the cart is open and that helps too. We have tested the cart extensively, and have had no overheating issues.

Will you part with any of the ones you have assembled yet? :)

As much as I would like too, I want to have a decent stock before we let any go. Right now we are doing some final testing, but It shouldn't be too long until they are ready

Hooray! I see there are many of us just itching for this one.

Edited by Defender II

• 1 month later...