IGNORED

Stronghold Keep it or sell it?

Belfry

Spurred on by the Air Raid ebay auction, I searched for my Old Atari 2600 CX2600A, I found my old cartridges (sadly no boxes)...

R9:

Stronghold

R5:

Laser Gates

R4: Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom (Grip, Bermuda Triangle (picture), Moonsweeper

R3: Wizard of War, Zaxxon (Coleco), Space Attack (MNetwork)

R2: Star Voyager (picture), Atlantis (text), Space Cavern (blue label)

Should I keep the Stronghold game or sell it?

Belfry

post-10561-127147641208_thumb.jpg

post-10561-127147649216_thumb.jpg

post-10561-12714765456_thumb.jpg

Nice...those labels damage easily. You should be able to get $150-$175 for a Stronghold cartridge in that condition.

Thanks for the advice. I've put it in a clear plastic baggie until I decide.

Even if you don't enjoy having it in your collection simply as a rare item, unless you are desperate for cash, don't sell it - it will only increase in value with time. Who knows? Maybe a few years down the road you will need some money badly - and then you can sell it for a small fortune!

I say sell, only complete in box stuff will raise in price enough to make a difference if you ask me. I remember quite a few years ago when all my childhood toys (transformers/m.u.s.c.l.e.s./GI Joe/star wars/etc..)were getting some big bucks on Ebay. They were loose, no boxes, played with. I sold them all off against the advice of some of my friends who said they will be worth even more if I wait. Well, I can say I have absolutely no regrets. I got a fistfull of cash and the market for loose toys seems to be less then it was when I sold. If you had a Stronghold that was 100% complete in the box in mint condition then I might say sure, take the waiting gamble, but a loose cart? I am pretty sure 10 years ago a loose Stronghold could pull you $200+, now I would be surprised if you got $150, if you are not a collector I say sell :twisted: ;) :)

The collector's market is unusually low the last couple of years due to the recession. My guess is that things will rebound eventually.

CIB stuff has still been selling well ;)

Yep. It looks like that CIB stuff get some more attention lately!

The collector's market is unusually low the last couple of years due to the recession. My guess is that things will rebound eventually.

This is what I have noticed. It seems that when something gets popular for collectors (toys/games/etc..)all of a sudden everyone and there Grandma have a bunch sitting in the garage that they want to sell...but, out of hundreds of people that have stuff to sell only a few actually kept the boxes. Naturally the boxed items become crazy rare and sought after while the loose un boxed stuff continues to slowly drop in price as more are found and there is less demand from collectors.

I think it could be many years for it to completely rebound to former levels. The recession will have weeded out some people from the collector/speculator market and make those who remain more cautious about getting into bidding wars.

CIB games are selling for great prices right now. The loose games are definately in a lull. I would sell the game if you have no interest in collecting or playing Atari, yeah it may appreciate some in the next 5-10 years, but probably not as much as youwould hope. Take the cash, buy some Gold with it if you want an investment.

Maybe, but that depends if the people are really looking at what the auction has. Some interesting CIB titles have slipped through in mixed lots for rather low prices than if the game would have been individually listed.

• 3 weeks later...

If memory serves, I picked up mine in a bargain bin at KayBee toys in '83 or '84 during the post-crash sales.

I asked Belfry where he got his originally and he said the same (bargain bin), so apparently the game was sold in stores despite the claim by the CommaVid founders that the game never actually shipped.

If memory serves, I picked up mine in a bargain bin at KayBee toys in '83 or '84 during the post-crash sales.

I asked Belfry where he got his originally and he said the same (bargain bin), so apparently the game was sold in stores despite the claim by the CommaVid founders that the game never actually shipped.

Sounds like a case of someone discovering pallets of them in a warehouse somewhere and sold them to stores or a discount chain handling company to get rid of them and make a little money at least. Not the first time that would have happened.

(Side note: Post 500! Woohoo! ;) )

Edited by SoulBlazer

Thats interesting, I wonder how close I was to owning one of these. I don't remember ever seeing one but I did frequant the Kay-Bee bargain bins and I do live in the Midwest (within a few states of Commavid HQ) I'm sure I would remember that box though, must have just missed them or they never made it to MN. Probably for the better, just would have been that much more mad at myself for trading my entire Atari collection for peanuts in the 90's...