IGNORED

PAL Gridrunner Linked

Heaven/TQA

not sure if I should include all kind of samples... ;)

have a try and let me know...

Awesome!

It crashes after the intro on my 320KB NTSC 130XE. Runs fine in 50Hz and 60Hz on Atari800Win+. Can't try my real PAL machine - it's in the middle of upgrades.

Well,

I have downloaded the dozens or so versions of Gridrunner and I like the version with a sample that simply says "Gridrunner" best. To make it work with a real A8 and DOS, I packed the intro (pic+music) with Flashpacker and the gamecode with Code3Cruncher...

The attached disk does not contain a DOS (the program loads with a bootloader), but one can run Gridrun.COM from DOS 2.0, DOS 2.5, Turbo-DOS, MyDOS or any DOs 2.x compatible that does not use RAM under the OS...

-Andreas Koch.

GRIDRUN.ZIP

thx Andreas.

Yes thanks Andreas, this now works nicely on my 130XE/1050 (PAL) from mydos/mypicodos.

Always glad to have new games to play, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Some feedback - Title screen, speech and fonts are pretty cool but the game seems a bit unintense (is that a word) compared to the original a8 ver which is mayhem... maybe could do with speeding up a bit, the things that drop could they be made white or to stand out more when they are about to drop so you can see them out of the corner of your eye, doesn't show what level you are on, text between stages would look better if centered/arranged to be centered... ;)

ok... just for the records... ;) it is the original VIC20 game you are playing... it is basicly Jeff's code running in the background... so that's why there are no intermission screens nor other nice add ons which might be available in newer versions or conversions... the a8 is NOT the original... :D

so if your feature is not in the VIC20 3,5kb original... then it is unlikely that I will implement it... ;) colours are nearly the same... so there are small bits and pieces which need polish like the explosion colour and the sound fx in general...

• 1 year later...

if someone can provide me a better converted sample I am happy to use it... ;)

Just stumbled upon this looking at Rhurst Berserk for nostalgia sakes.

I recall reading up on the Impossible Mission that ESS did.

I read the patents and a very distant 2 page article about their work.

The long and short of it is they still threw samples thru the volume register BUT

they manually took each speech sample and reduced it by using various techniques...the chief one being that when you look at a voice sample you can literally reduce it down visually by looping the many repeating waveforms in a sample and throw away the tiny bits here and there (would have minimal impact on the sound) could possibly give you compression ratio of almost 40:1 according to their boasts.

That was the gist of what I got from the article considering they were trying to protect their secrets.

If you ever see the original Berserk synthesized speech samples and zoom in - you'll understand what I mean.

Awesome site here guys! :)

• 4 years later...

so if your feature is not in the VIC20 3,5kb original... then it is unlikely that I will implement it... icon_wink.gif colours are nearly the same... so there are small bits and pieces which need polish like the explosion colour and the sound fx in general...

Just for the record: It was an 8kb ROM ;-)

Edited by Stefan Haubenthal

In fact, the original Llamasoft release in the U.K. in 1982 was on tape cassette, and ran on an un-expanded VIC-20.

The program appears to be exactly 3583 bytes, and was so tight with the VIC20's 5K memory that Jeff Minter noted in the liner notes of "Viva Vic":

"I got so tight on memory that I couldn't even put my full name on the title page; I had to make do with my initials 'JCM' instead."

When HES licensed the title and released it in the U.S. the code was converted to run as a 4K ROM cartridge, the extra space allowing Minter to add his full name to the title page, the "© 1982 H.E.S.", the message "PRESS FIRE TO BEGIN" and some graphical highlight effects.

In the original Llamasoft release the simple message "©1982JCM" appears.