IGNORED

modnation racers

Reaperman

Anyone still playing Modnation? I have been thinking about getting it. Is it still worth it? Been itching for a customizable cart game (tired of playing Mario Kart)

I'm not still playing it, but the game's totally worth it. Wading through user content is a hassle, but making new content sure is easy. The racing itself feels random at first, but there are some pretty decent tricks to it. Lots of depth, daily challenges, and it's a very social game. Expect to make friends, because even the menu system is online. All things considered, I believe it to be the best kart game ever, and to think of major improvements to it would really strain my head.

I don't think there will be a Modnation Racers 2, because there simply doesn't need to be one.

Damn, I think that's the most positive I've ever sounded.

Edited by Reaperman

Anyone still playing Modnation? I have been thinking about getting it. Is it still worth it? Been itching for a customizable cart game (tired of playing Mario Kart)

I'm not still playing it, but the game's totally worth it. Wading through user content is a hassle, but making new content sure is easy. The racing itself feels random at first, but there are some pretty decent tricks to it. Lots of depth, daily challenges, and it's a very social game. Expect to make friends, because even the menu system is online. All things considered, I believe it to be the best kart game ever, and to think of major improvements to it would really strain my head.

I don't think there will be a Modnation Racers 2, because there simply doesn't need to be one.

Damn, I think that's the most positive I've ever sounded.

:lol:

cool thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd say it's worth it, too. I don't play it, but my son does. We've only had it a few months though.

The original video in post 1 is unavailable for viewing, but I looked up some track building vids on YouTube and told my son about it. Once he figured out the controls, it took him all of 5 minutes to completely build his first track this afternoon.

On a subsequent track he decided to put palm trees all over the track, so racing was, well, interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, not at the moment, for obvious reasons. But when the PSN goes back on-line, I'll be racing on it with Mod-Nations.

Its an amazing game, by my estimate. Easily, my favorite cart racer -- it combines the frantic gameplay with technical controls. The single player missions are absolute garbage and will infuriate you with the rubber-banding; but this is consistent with most racing games. On-line is where the action is at.

As another Mario Kart alternative, Sonic All Star Racing is surprisingly superb. Oh, yes, it is a total clone of Mario Kart -- but I think they come closer to perfecting the formula. I'm not certain that Mario gets better with every iteration; Nintendo plays it safe, changing little, yet keeping in elements that people loathe, and introduces things that really don't improve the experience. Sonic feels like a highly evolved Mario Kart. It's really superb, and quite cheap. If you decide to pick up this budget title, the single player experience isn't too bad, but on-line is still better. Furthermore, it really needs the first patch to shine.

Well, not at the moment, for obvious reasons. But when the PSN goes back on-line, I'll be racing on it with Mod-Nations.

Its an amazing game, by my estimate. Easily, my favorite cart racer -- it combines the frantic gameplay with technical controls. The single player missions are absolute garbage and will infuriate you with the rubber-banding; but this is consistent with most racing games. On-line is where the action is at.

As another Mario Kart alternative, Sonic All Star Racing is surprisingly superb. Oh, yes, it is a total clone of Mario Kart -- but I think they come closer to perfecting the formula. I'm not certain that Mario gets better with every iteration; Nintendo plays it safe, changing little, yet keeping in elements that people loathe, and introduces things that really don't improve the experience. Sonic feels like a highly evolved Mario Kart. It's really superb, and quite cheap. If you decide to pick up this budget title, the single player experience isn't too bad, but on-line is still better. Furthermore, it really needs the first patch to shine.

Yup I agree. I finally broke down and got it and noticed the single player game is tough. I want to try online but of course PSN has been down and I never got online weeks ago when it was up.

I also have Sonic and I thought it was pretty good as well. I finished and unlocked a bunch of things in that game. I think I did most of it with Sonic and the Oolala girl.

The downloads they offer for the additional cars are not really worth it in my opinion. The iron\mech Sonic is pretty good but not totally worth it. The "cheating"\enemy karts are not that frustrating, its mostly the track and how you drive your kart if I recall that makes a difference.

Mario Kart for me is probably the most frustrating game ever made. I like Mario Kart but the cheat programming for the enemy karts is absurd. I'm not sure why they do that but its completely riduculous to even try and beat that game without cheating yourself. Do the fans really want it to be that hard?

• 4 weeks later...

Yup I agree. I finally broke down and got it and noticed the single player game is tough. I want to try online but of course PSN has been down and I never got online weeks ago when it was up.

I also have Sonic and I thought it was pretty good as well. I finished and unlocked a bunch of things in that game. I think I did most of it with Sonic and the Oolala girl.

The downloads they offer for the additional cars are not really worth it in my opinion. The iron\mech Sonic is pretty good but not totally worth it. The "cheating"\enemy karts are not that frustrating, its mostly the track and how you drive your kart if I recall that makes a difference.

Mario Kart for me is probably the most frustrating game ever made. I like Mario Kart but the cheat programming for the enemy karts is absurd. I'm not sure why they do that but its completely riduculous to even try and beat that game without cheating yourself. Do the fans really want it to be that hard?

Unlike you, I didn't find Mario Kart to be too challenging. Like any racer, there is rubber-banding that makes the game feel less than satisfying as a single player experience. The only reason to play the single player is to unlock stuff, which is a pain. My main problem with it is that the game devolves into a huge crapshot, and for a game that lasts only a few minutes, it punishes the leader. In a longer game, a catch-up mechanism makes a great deal of sense. But in such a short affair it creates way too much chaos, and focuses so heavily on bashing the leader, that you soon realize it is a bad idea to lead the pack. When you play a racing game and realize there is no incentive for being in first place, what is the point?

Sega did it right. Their version of the blue shell is really quite ingenious. In the HUD, there is a band that illustrates where each player is, relative to each other and the track. When you launch a missile, it blasts forward and you can see it travelling through this band. It still requires skill to be effective, because you choose when to activate it. You have to pay attention to your driving, while simultaneously keeping an eye on the progress of the missile. Miss your target? Too bad.

Mod-nations, in my mind, is the most aggravating of all single-player experiences. You have to play it to unlock items for the multi-player. But doing so is a chore, for no matter how much you lead and punish the AI, they miraculously come in ahead of you. I'm really sick of games that force you to play a single player campaign to enjoy the full features of the online experience.

Edited by durkada