IGNORED

Hooked on 8-bit carts

Tanman

• 4 months later...

Hi, here's another update of the ROM list. Again, thanks to all for providing new ROM images. See Changelog.txt for the news.

FULS' "Leo's 'Lectric Paintbrush" image is a bit different than the one known from Atarimania. Thanks for dumping!

I have found a program named "Checksum Verifier", that was originally developed in-house at Atari (see README.txt for details). It contains a list of checksums for many cartridges. What is interesting, the list contains entries to several cartridge revisions that are different than the ones we know, for example "Qix rev. 7". I have added such entries to the list as well.

Did you already post a copy of "Checksum Verifier"? If not can you?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From the screenshots, Cable Graphic Sciences looks like the INFO/Soft carts,

Have you tried that cart dump atr http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243710-infosoft-7000/?do=findComment&comment=3346423 to make a dump of your INFO/Soft 7000 cart? It would really be cool if you could because the rom I posted seems to be incomplete as the Help Screen is only showing garbage...

Edited by AtariGeezer

Brown/black label carts: 1979-1983 is my favorite. I tend to like the bland, professional looking cartridges for both the 8-bit computer and 2600.

I think it was because of episode where you had two kids in a dad's office playing video games on a Atari 800. The older kid says to the other kid while playing video games "One day all this will be yours". And the shelves had rows of the black tall boxes the cartridges came in. Looked really nice. The other kid says "wow".

I think it was the marketing of the Atari 800 as a business machine and it's look that sold me on the Atari 800. It was advertised as a serious machine and "Oh yeh, here is this professional 'Star Raiders' that we'll sneak in with a cartridge that looks like all the other that will blow your mind."

And from what I understood that is exactly what happened. People sold the computer to their wives and what not about the business applications while Star Raiders was in the back of their minds. I know that was the case for one person at a sci-fi club, and my Dad. :D

• Like 2

My cart doesn't do that. :-)

Hmmm, the menu code might be ok in the ROM, I found 2 more bad bytes that I thought were illegal opcodes. Also found some addresses used are writing to the 0x9xxx range where Imfo/Soft 5000 uses page 5 area instead...

But it will take yours to compare with to see if yours and a8w's have the same data :)

Hmmm, the menu code might be ok in the ROM, I found 2 more bad bytes that I thought were illegal opcodes. Also found some addresses used are writing to the 0x9xxx range where Imfo/Soft 5000 uses page 5 area instead...

But it will take yours to compare with to see if yours and a8w's have the same data :)

Okay, found a total of 4 corrupted bytes so far, but what I thought was encoded text is 2 character sets.

So the Menu and additional text is either in a different Bank or on the System Disk...

No I haven't, I'll try over Thanksgiving break. But, my 7000 cart doesn't show anything when you view the help, maybe it's related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance of that dump yet? I've made progress in the system disk, but need that dump to find the serial number to enable loading / saving pages...

post-26874-0-45837700-1449041054_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

You might want to try different DOS disks.... go from the oldest DOS to the newest.... it might give a different result...... oh I see you said you made progress... nevermind...

The serial number isn't on or in the cart? Or carts main screen?

I could be stabbing in the dark but if you see it do you know where to insert it on the disk?

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks so much for the Spec-II stuff! Now, the hunt is on for Spec-I.

Spec-I has more features, including the ability to interface with a Heathkit weather station. Same OSS type cart as Spec-II, but also the BASIC ROM inside the computer is replaced by a third Spec-I EPROM.

Spec-I was a considerably more expensive product, so I'm not sure that many survive now.

I could kick myself in the ass now about this, because (back in the day) I was building them and I had all that stuff.

Edit: If you ever see an XL/XE that displays a rainbow pattern instead of BASIC, it may have the internal Spec-I EPROM. Most of them are 2764's with some wires jumpered and soldered over the BASIC mask ROM which has the enable pin clipped. a 68764 or 68766 would be a direct plug in fit.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 2

I just remembered that Spec-I also uses the Bot Engineering Pocket Modem to allow remote control.

(Back to Spec-II) Attached is a disk image for Spec-II that contains a little demo and I explained some commands.

Spec2.zip

Edit: Put the Spec-II cart in, and put this disk in D1: (or a bootable D1: partition on your HD).

Turn off SDX.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, it was only Spec-I that used the modem. There is a picture of the modem beside it's term program cart. here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/116882-atari-8-bit-cartridges-a-big-list/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1453230

I have that modem :) But there are text strings in the code for remote direcetory listing, transfering remote pictures, delete remote picture and 3 error messages pertaining to these functions.

Just found a reference for the "M:" device too, so the disk should have a driver for that modem on it.

I'll keep hunting through the code :)