IGNORED

Any Zork Players?

Man this game is hard

Which part(s) are you having trouble with? I loved Zork! It was like playing Colossal Cave (or whatever it was called), only better, because I could play it at home, and I didn't get in trouble for playing it! (I truly believe that I was single-handedly responsible for all of the games either being (1) deleted or (2) moved/hidden/protected on the university's mainframe, because I would play Colossal Cave for hours on end, night after night, week after week-- and the campus I was playing it from had to connect to the mainframe on the main campus via modem, which was a long distance call. So one night I logged on and went to play Colossal Cave and I got nothing. Oops!)

Michael

I never finished it, but in the late 90s I played Zork 1 and 2 quite a bit, after playing Return to Zork with my Dad but before playing Nemisis or Grand Inquisitor.

Neat games, and like Return to Zork, save, save and when you think you've saved enough, save again. ;) That and prepare to start from much earlier again if you realize you closed yourself off. ;)

It's all about puzzle solving and trial and error.

Actually, I still need to get back to Grand Inquisitor (or Nemisis, but that games doesn't really fell like Zork, darker like Myst, but different). Grand Inquisitor is awesome though, it brings the light-hearted nature of the classics, but in a much more clean cut way than RTZ. (campy, but never in the wrong way -RTZ seems a bit funky at times- GI has loads of references to the classic games and tongue in cheek humor, it's totally awesome)

I still like RTZ a lot though, fun game.

I've only spent time on the original Zork. Its fun for a while and has a lot of really classic puzzles & locations like the famous White House or Flood Control Damn. But I hate games that let you make a key mistake early on and then hours or days later you discover your mistake. And that damn maze...

Despite those flaws its still has some appeal to it and you can play it online: http://thcnet.net/error/index.php

Proud to be a Zork player from the day I got my Apple II (1986). I've beaten every Zork game (I-III, Beyond, Zero, Return, Grand Inquisitor, TUUG) except for Nemesis because it just didn't feel like a Zork game (although I do mean to try it again some day). I only needed help with parts of III because that game was really tough in spots.

Beyond Zork is my favorite. I love the setting, the monsters, the semi-RPG system they used, and the random rooms and item placement which can still make the game fun after all these years. Zork II and Grand Inquisitor come a close second though.

If you're having trouble I can answer any question. :)

Tempest

Another big Zork fan here. I've beaten I and II (back in the day, on a Commodore 64), but never III. Even though I actually liked III the most, it's atmosphere was just so amazing. The fog, the viking ship, the sense of desolation... wow!

One of these days I should give it another go.

(I never did play the later ones, though)

Yeah i played but i didn't like the zork games as much as the other infocom games since you had to make more maps than regular games.

At least the later one had map maker built in.

Loved the detective ones and hitchhiker's guide t.t. galaxy. Still have some of the original props somewhere too!

Try Dungeon sometime. It's the original Mainframe version of Zork before it was split up. It's like playing all of Zork I, most of Zork II, and the end of Zork III all in one game. Very satisfying and VERY difficult due to the confusing map (going east into one room and then going west does not bring you back to the original room most of the time).

Tempest

I had a Coco growing up, so while I was aware of Zork (and the other Infocom games), I was never able to actually play them :sad: (Many years later I learned that there was a Coco port, but only for disk-based systems and only of a few games.)

I have since acquired the whole Trilogy and I have played at least the first two, though I have not finished them (yet).

The Lost Treasures of Infocom was the first game I bought for my PC when I first got one in 1994.

I got that for my Amiga 500 in the early 1990s.

I almost got an Amiga instead of a PC. I don't regret it, but I still think the Amiga was cool as heck back then. It certainly had great graphics.

I got the LToI2 a couple years later. I still own both, though I don't have a floppy drive any more.

I'm a zork player from way back... I played and beat I, II, III, Zero, and Beyond back when... Played return and never beat, recently picked up another copy to give it another go, and haven't played the other newer ones.

If anyone that read this thread hasn't checked it out and digs interactive fiction, they need to check out the Get Lamp DVD coming out. I can't wait for it to come out.

Get Lamp Documentary

Brad