IGNORED

New WIPs of Oscar's Trash Race and Big Bird's Egg Catch

Wickeycolumbus

I recently acquired these two work in progress versions of Oscar and Big Bird. Big Bird is dated 5/2/83, and Oscar is 3/30/83. Both are quite different from their released counterparts.

First, here are some pictures of the carts themselves:

post-12776-127256888271_thumb.jpg

post-12776-127256894186_thumb.jpg

post-12776-127256897815_thumb.jpg

The carts have several labels on them, I can only imagine what it says on them :ponder: Anyone know of a safe way to check? I don't want to ruin any of the labels in the process.

Big Bird is similar to the 5-17-83 prototype, but has several differences that I've noticed:

* No title screen

* Big Bird graphics different

* You only need to catch one egg in the first level

* No graphics glitches on the eggs caught screen (see picture)

* Big Bird is small on the eggs caught screen

post-12776-127256907302_thumb.png

Oscar on the other hand, looks very different from the final version. See for yourself:

post-12776-127256910342_thumb.png

The playfield is completely different. Also, it plays a song, not sure if that made it into the final game (haven't played it long enough).

Finally, here are the ROMs, enjoy :)

Big Bird\'s Egg Catch 5-2-83 .bin

Oscar\'s Trash Race 3-30-83 .bin

• Like 2

Wow I'll have to add those to my page. I've been far too lazy lately...

Tempest

How much do you have yet to add that you've been sitting on again?

Nothing earth shattering, just some WIP games that are close to or are the final version (2600 and 7800). I also need to do some unreleased 8-bit carts that are fairly complicated like Destiny: The Cruiser and Lifespan. Stuff that needs to be done, but nothing that people are falling over themselves to see. :)

I will have a VERY interesting 2600 review showing up soon, I just need the rom first.

Tempest

Nothing earth shattering, just some WIP games that are close to or are the final version (2600 and 7800). I also need to do some unreleased 8-bit carts that are fairly complicated like Destiny: The Cruiser and Lifespan. Stuff that needs to be done, but nothing that people are falling over themselves to see. :)

Some unreleased 8-bit carts? Color me interested.

Some unreleased 8-bit carts? Color me interested.

Same. Anything you post on that site I'll read with major intrest, Tempest. It's one of the best video game related sites on the web, hands down. :thumbsup:

The carts have several labels on them, I can only imagine what it says on them :ponder: Anyone know of a safe way to check? I don't want to ruin any of the labels in the process.

Well it's not really a safe way to check, but I used to drip a little Goo Gone on the label. That would make it transparent enough to see the label underneath before it dried. Probably not a good way to do it, but it worked with no damage to the label (from what I could tell). I discovered it accidentally.

Tempest

Big Bird is similar to the 5-17-83 prototype, but has several differences that I've noticed:

There's a 5-17 prototype? Where is that? I must have missed it.

Tempest

It was actually in the collection of ROMs you posted :lol: Here you go:

Big Bird\'s Egg Catch (Grover\'s Egg Catch) (Kid\'s Controller) (Children\'s Computer Workshop) (05-17-1983) (Atari, Christopher H. Omarzu) (CX26104) (Prototype).bin

There is a picture of the actual cart here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/63199-2600-lab-loaners-for-sale/page__view__findpost__p__775751

From what I can tell:

* No Big Bird animation in the beginning

* A few of the levels are different

* The 'Eggs caught' screen is a bit different (see picture)

* Sound is a bit different

* Tracks disappear slower

post-12776-127281783173_thumb.png

There are probably others... the game is too painful to play to figure them out.

There are probably others... the game is too painful to play to figure them out.

Tell me about it.

What did you mean that the graphics glitch from the 5-17 prototype isn't in the 5-2 prototype?

Oh and when you say you found some differences in the 5-2 prototype, is that list as compared to the 5-17 prototype or the final? Same with the 5-17 differences you listed, are those as compared to the final or another version of the prototype?

Tempest

What did you mean that the graphics glitch from the 5-17 prototype isn't in the 5-2 prototype?

When it displays more than one egg on that screen, the first one glitches. After further inspection, it appears to be present in my version too.

Oh and when you say you found some differences in the 5-2 prototype, is that list as compared to the 5-17 prototype or the final? Same with the 5-17 differences you listed, are those as compared to the final or another version of the prototype?

Tempest

The 5-2 version was compared with the 5-17 version, which was compared with the final.

I also noticed that it is impossible to catch some of the eggs in the 5-2 version. Oscar seems to be unplayable, though the joystick ports are accessed in the code.