IGNORED

Atari 5200 Prototype Carts Discoverd

procrastinator

you do realize you could probably sell these for some really good money.dont let someone dump them for free :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You mean if I have them dumped they are worth less?

BTW, this was also in the garage, but that's a different thread.

Several of your protos appear to be the final version in which case dumping them or not dumping them is a moot point. As far as devaluing them that's a controversial subject. Personally I think not dumping them is a bad idea since if the chips die you are left with a paperweight.

Mitch

• Like 1

All of the final versions of your prototypes have been dumped so dumping them will not effect the value of them. The only thing unique maybe the work in progress versions that you have. Check with Tempest here on AA to see if that's true. Even though the work in progress versions are interesting to look at, they really don't effect the value of the physical prototype cartridge if they are dumped because the finished games have already been dumped.

I would dump them though because if you don't and you find out that the eproms get 'bit-rote', you won't be able to re-burn the ROMs back onto the eproms. Then the prototype will be worth less (although not completely worthless). Because the 5200 prototype cartridge boards are completely different than the regular boards, prototypes are always valuable.

It's too bad you don't have the elussive Elevator Action. :( Now that would be valuable! :)

Allan

How about the copy of gremlins? It's a pre-completion copy, is that something special? on DP it says it wasn't completed until June...

Gremlins was a normal release although late in the 5200's life.

Allan

So, which ones should I have dumped, and which ones would I be able to sell, and what about those two test carts? are they worth anything?

You will be able to sell all of them. Remember, 5200 prototype carts are different than the normal released cartridges. The same goes for the test carts. As far as which ones to dump, I would dump all the work-in-progress ones. It's pointless to dump the final ones since the dumps are all over the Net anyways.

Allan

dont let someone dump them for free :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes because suddenly you're the expert on prototypes. :ponder:

Given the fact Muppet Go Round is a childrens title and no one is actually going want to play it, I don't think dumping it will hurt the value. The buyer is going to want to own it simply for the sake of owning a one of a kind prototype, not to be the only person to be able to play an amazing game. In such a case dumping the rom and releasing it won't hurt the value. Just my opinion on the matter.

I can't tell anything about the protos with no dates, but the dated ones are all the final versions.

Tempest

• Like 1

dont let someone dump them for free :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes because suddenly you're the expert on prototypes. :ponder:

Given the fact Muppet Go Round is a childrens title and no one is actually going want to play it, I don't think dumping it will hurt the value. The buyer is going to want to own it simply for the sake of owning a one of a kind prototype, not to be the only person to be able to play an amazing game. In such a case dumping the rom and releasing it won't hurt the value. Just my opinion on the matter.

I can't tell anything about the protos with no dates, but the dated ones are all the final versions.

Tempest

My six year-old son might. But since he doesn't have a paying job I doubt he could buy it. :)

Allan

Dumping and releasing Muppets would be a grand service/gift to the Atari community, since we've never seen/played it before. Also the only one I'd bother getting dumped.

As for Jr. Pac-Man, procrastinator's version (2-28) is the same as the final version Tempest listed on atariprotos.com, so I doubt the bug was fixed.

As for people with proto's not releasing them, I don't believe releasing a rom does anything with the value. Collectors want the physical cartridge proto. Muppets should be very desirable, in terms of 5200 protos, since to date it's a one of a kind.

well I listed one on ebay: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1805018738881?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

Just want to see where it goes.

I take it you quickly bought a system today? Could you please post some screen-shots of the Muppet games?

if I can find a 5200 to test this cart on. I don't actually own the system...

This loaner cart has been recently tested on my 5200 and works!