IGNORED

Space Harrier XE

Hello Heaven

I really, really like it too. And not a game player.

Maybe after this one is finished, Sheddy can do a VBXE version. icon_mrgreen.gif

Sincerely

Mathy

Please, someone delete this irregular VBXE from being developed . Sheddy does a great job, but the music is already a step backward in that needless stereo mode.

We need a 100% original hardware using game. Everything else is useless.

If you want a better Space Harrier, have a look at the arcade version or try the ST or AMIGA versions.....

• Like 4

Hello Heaven

Maybe after this one is finished, Sheddy can do a VBXE version. icon_mrgreen.gif

Sincerely

Mathy

Please, someone delete this irregular VBXE from being developed . Sheddy does a great job, but the music is already a step backward in that needless stereo mode.

If you want a better Space Harrier, have a look at the arcade version or try the ST or AMIGA versions.....

Oh yes, everyone who does an upgrade to his computer is doing wrong!

Stop innovation and improvements - they´re enemy!

Sorry, but why should be STEREO or VBXE or memory expansion evil? If so, anyone has to disconnect his graphics card and his sound cart from his modern PC - since we allways want basic features only and for everyone... Is that your intention?

Then, there´s only one correct computer for us all:

abakus-rechenrahmen-t13205.jpg

Sorry, but why should be STEREO or VBXE or memory expansion evil? If so, anyone has to disconnect his graphics card and his sound cart from his modern PC - since we allways want basic features only and for everyone... Is that your intention?

Wrong argues from you ;)

I don't ask for an Abacus with additional Graphics and Soundchips.

And there is no need for innovation, because we have already millions of them..... ST... AMIGA .... PC ...

We need some more originality to aid the A8. Those "improvements" only destroy the real innovation on the original A8.

Just have a look at G2F . The bugs get more and more, GTIA features are not implemented, but the coder wasted time in adding the VBXE ....

RMT uses stereo POKEY, but you never will hear optimized music played by the "real" A8.

This would be real innovations and improvements to the A8..... but they were always enemies .... it seems...

This argument doesn't make sense. If I remove my graphics or sound card from my modern PC, I'm still left with a modern PC.

The real argument is when is a retro-computer no longer retro? Upgrades like more RAM or two Pokeys were possible back in the day and don't change the basic nature of the machine but if you want modern graphics and sound, then a cheap PC will do all that and more for very little money. I can see both sides of it, but personally, I like to keep the A8 in the realm of early to mid-80's technology.

• Like 4

Hello Heaven

Sincerely

Mathy

Then, there´s only one correct computer for us all:

abakus-rechenrahmen-t13205.jpg

Modern upgrades aren't evil but they don't constitute a standard A8. If majority of people upgraded to it and it was backward compatible (which it is), it would be considered a standard. But it's a minority currently and requires soldering which is also a minority of A8 users know. When PCs upgraded to VGA, it took some time but it was an easy upgrade and most people have it.

Oh, the Atari is abacus compatible and most people upgraded from abacus as well.

I would say stereo POKEY is a standard since even if you don't have the plug-in board, you can easily hook up two Ataris using one for left audio and one for right audio and have them synced up. Or you can hook up 64 Ataris and compose a 256 voice composition in surround sound where one Atari is the master and controls the other Ataris which can just be motherboards. I guess the problem might be powering them up since I haven't seen a 64-plug power strip or a single power supply that can be used in that way.

Hello Atariksi

But the interface you need to control all those Atari's wouldn't be mid-80s. Unless you're gonna use MIDI, which probably is late 80's when it comes to the Atari 8 bit computers. Naaaah, way to modern. :D :D :D

greetings

Mathy (1MB XEGS, Atari 8 bit boot CD's, audio-CD player utility)

Hello Atariksi

But the interface you need to control all those Atari's wouldn't be mid-80s. Unless you're gonna use MIDI, which probably is late 80's when it comes to the Atari 8 bit computers. Naaaah, way to modern. :D :D :D

greetings

Mathy (1MB XEGS, Atari 8 bit boot CD's, audio-CD player utility)

Use the disk drive SIO cable to connect two ataris or use a joystick port driver. For high level interface, write some sort of bootup handler for A: device. I guess for more than two, you may need a hub or passthru connection.

SAVE "A7:MYMUSIC.DAT" would put another file into a queue for playing on the 7th Atari.

I'm inclined to agree with emkay. The updates are cool and all, but if you want something really more powerful, buy a cheap pc. I'd like to see some more improvements to stuff that utilizes stock hardware. If a system is around long enough, there are always new tricks being developed to squeeze more out of the same hardware. Plus, anyone can run it - not just the small group of people that hacked their system to install an upgrade that won't be available for more than a couple of years.

• Like 1

In my opinion a great advantage of the VBXE is the possibility to use the high quality RGB-output. You don´t have to use the improved graphic abilities, maybe there´ll be not much software for it, but you can benefit of the better screen anyway.

Sleeπ

I agree with sticking with stock hardware too. But you can think of the stereo music as an unexpected bonus (it was for me too!) I've made sure it doesn't impact the performance with normal single Pokey though. I kinda forgot stereo was on when I made the movie as I leave it on the whole time to pick up on those performance problems.

When I'm done with Space Harrier (soon!), that'll be it (apart from any serious bug fixes).

When I'm done with Space Harrier (soon!), that'll be it (apart from any serious bug fixes).

So who do i have to see about a review copy for Retro Gamer then...? =-)

So who do i have to see about a review copy for Retro Gamer then...? =-)

Thanks, I'll keep you posted Jason. It'll be free, so officially Emu only, but if Retro Gamer will pony up for a blank 8mbit AtariMax cart on expenses :lol:, you'll be just fine on real hardware

Thanks, I'll keep you posted Jason.

Brutal, ta for that.

It'll be free, so officially Emu only, but if Retro Gamer will pony up for a blank 8mbit AtariMax cart on expenses :lol:, you'll be just fine on real hardware

What, people think i get expenses?! =-) Actually, how much would that cart cost because i've got an 800XL sat here looking rather hungry and might be able to scrape together some pennies if it's not too expensive (i'm currently saving for an SIO2SD, so that's got priority).

And before i forget, would you be up for an interview at some point? =-)

Brutal, ta for that.

It'll be free, so officially Emu only, but if Retro Gamer will pony up for a blank 8mbit AtariMax cart on expenses :lol:, you'll be just fine on real hardware

What, people think i get expenses?! =-) Actually, how much would that cart cost because i've got an 800XL sat here looking rather hungry and might be able to scrape together some pennies if it's not too expensive (i'm currently saving for an SIO2SD, so that's got priority).

Tell you what Jason, If you want I'll Send you an 8mb cart with the game on it and My label that I did for it if you will pay for the Shipping. =)

• Like 1

Tell you what Jason, If you want I'll Send you an 8mb cart with the game on it and My label that I did for it if you will pay for the Shipping. =)

Oh gawd! Now, part of me just wants to jump on that offer like a lion in a nature film but... but not before another part of me has said "are you sure" first!

Oh gawd! Now, part of me just wants to jump on that offer like a lion in a nature film but... but not before another part of me has said "are you sure" first!

No Problem. I have a couple of extras. Just pay for the shipping. =)

Brutal, ta for that.

Ha ha!

yeah, you'd need the cable too. And the blank carts are about $20 a pop (Atarimax.com) Good of Sal to offer a cart up. I might have another cart knocking about somewhere too, which could save you on shipping (although you'd miss out on the fancy lablel!). Thanks, I'd be up for an interview at some point. We're talking about a few months or so before things will be ready though. I hope to be quite good at interviews by then, as I'll be out of work in a couple of weeks :ponder:

Edited by Sheddy

Thanks, I'd be up for an interview at some point. We're talking about a few months or so before things will be ready though.

i'm trying to plan that far ahead anyway, i'm doing the finishing off for 78 this weekend and 76 is in shops right now... =-)

I hope to be quite good at interviews by then, as I'll be out of work in a couple of weeks :ponder:

Oh, that's not good at all...