IGNORED

7800 + supercharger & harmony

oxy

Hi there,

I just got an harmony cart and is the best thing since the creation of the universe!

Previously my only atari (a jr) have been modded to have a 1/4 jack output to use the synthcart with my music equipment. This was done where the video signal was so I havent use it as a game console for years.

I also have a supercharger that needed to change the 1/8 jack. However I never use it after fix it. I remember it showed the menu on the jr.

Well I specifically got an 7800 to use with the harmony, after checking here in this forum that works. Cool!

But I made the mistake to test all my carts..... Including the supercharger.

So did it broke it? Can I fix it?

:(

Thanks

post-19923-12731617702_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I just got an harmony cart and is the best thing since the creation of the universe!

Previously my only atari (a jr) have been modded to have a 1/4 jack output to use the synthcart with my music equipment. This was done where the video signal was so I havent use it as a game console for years.

I also have a supercharger that needed to change the 1/8 jack. However I never use it after fix it. I remember it showed the menu on the jr.

Well I specifically got an 7800 to use with the harmony, after checking here in this forum that works. Cool!

But I made the mistake to test all my carts..... Including the supercharger.

So did it broke it? Can I fix it?

:(

Thanks

did it stop working?

as far as I know, the Supercharger might be incompatible with certain 7800 Motherboard revisions, but it doesn't kill them as far as I know.

Ok I tested the supercharger on the 2600jr after enabling the RF output again. It works fine!!

I guess mitch is right about the urban legend.

The 7800 works ok.

Thanks for your replies guys

So what is not working, the 7800 or the supercharger? Many 7800s are not compatible with the supercharger but the part about it killing them seems to be more urban legend.

Mitch

So what is not working, the 7800 or the supercharger? Many 7800s are not compatible with the supercharger but the part about it killing them seems to be more urban legend.

If a cartridge expects the 6507 to be performing a read when it is actually performing a write, both the processor and cartridge will simultaneously attempt to put different data on the bus simultaneously, a situation called bus contention. If bus contention happens occasionally, it is unlikely to damage anything. If bus contention happened sufficiently often for a sufficient time, however, it could cause parts to overheat and fail. The exact values of 'sufficiently often' and 'sufficient time' are dependent upon many factors. I don't think it's possible for the 6507 to try to write to cartridge space more than 1/3 of the time (two cycles every six, using INC $nnnn) and given that the first byte of written data would match the read data, in most scenarios it's unlikely that it could write contentious data more than 1/4 of the time (one cycle every four, using STA $xxxx). I would guess that even in worst-case scenarios involving a cart trying to output $FF when the 6507 was outputting $00, it's unlikely that the 6507 or cart would be quickly damaged, but they could heat up enough to cause accelerated wear.