IGNORED

USB to Atari mouse adapter

I was attempting a manual snipe on another of these Logitech M-BJ58 830524-0000 mice. There's 10 seconds left. I snipe....and I get "the page cannot be displayed" and someone else gets it!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2606859747831?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260685974783&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I'm wondering what's the likelihood I'll ever run across another one of these tried-and-true ST-compatible mice.

I'm in Goodwill yesterday, I see it amongst the pile of grungy ball-mice with PS/2 connectors. I think, "No way! What are the odds?"

Sure enough.

post-16281-128970870949_thumb.jpg

:thumbsup::lust::D:rolling::lolblue:

Time for isopropyl alcohol, a junk toothbrush, and some paper towels!

The Logitech M-BJ58 mouse does work, also the following small/notebook mouse on ebay:

USB 3D Optical Scroll Wheel mice MOUSE PC Laptop #9527

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1805830715521?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180583071552&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Hopefully there is a similar full sized mouse out there.

But (so far), no actual wireless mouse has been found to

work, is that correct?

Thanks (and thanks to everyone for the updated what doesn't

and what does work lists).

I have been monitoring this forum for about a month, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to a success I had about a week ago. I'm a newbie here, and I had to wait for my PayPal check to clear before I could gain posting access.

I bought the "Irish" USB/Atari mouse adapter about a month ago. I finally have something that works. It consists of the following:

I have the "Irish" adapter connected to a Mouse Master, which is connected to my Atari Falcon. (The Mouse Master isn't necessary. I just wanted to let it be known that it works.)

I have a PS2/USB adapter connected to that. I purchased this adapter from EMTC World. Here is a link to that item. Just be sure you get the right sex. You need the one with maleUSB and female PS2 connectors. They have a very similar device with the opposite connectors

My link

I have a Logitech PS2 Mouse connected to the PS2/USB adapter. I purchased that mouse from GEEKS.COM. The shipment seems to have come direct from Logitech. Hopefully, they have a warehouse full of them. Here is a link to that item.

My link

I am absolutely delighted with this kluge. The mouse is very responsive, better than anything I've ever experienced on any Atari. For my needs, I don't covet a wireless mouse. It takes very little mouse movement to traverse the entire screen. I like it so much, that I ordered another for backup.

Since I know of no mouse spec differences between the Falcon and the ST line in general, this should work with anything that uses an Atari ST mouse.

In getting to this point, I had my share of failures,

I tried a couple of Apple USB mice. One came with a 2003 Power Mac G4, the other with a 2008 iMac. Neither works with the "Irish" adapter.

I tried a couple of wireless Logitech mice. They didn't work

When I bought my PS/2 Logitech mouse from GEEKS.COM, I also ordered a PS2/USB adapter that has two PS2 pigtails, presumably for connecting both a mouse and a keyboard. I didn't have any interest in connecting a keyboard. It just seemed like a convenient way to get an adapter. It didn't work. In fact when I connected this contraption and the Logitech PS2 mouse to my iMac, I got a message that said my keyboard can not be identified, and I couldn't even finish booting. On the Atari, it did light up the diode on the mouse, but nothing else worked.

I ordered a Micsrosoft Wheel Mouse with a USB tail from Office Depot. It didn't work, but you already knew that, since Mr. Woods reported the same results above. It turned out that it works beautifully on an old Win 98 machine that I have, and that machine was badly in need of a mouse, so nothing lost there.

I ordered a Microsoft PS2 Intellimouse from Amazon,Com. This was shipped from a third party. The mouse that arrived looke identical to the one from Office Depot, except it's a different color. That doesn't mean the guts couldn't be different, but it's a moot point. That mouse was dead on arrival. It doesn't work with anything, including my old PC. SThe diode doesn't even light.

I think that's everything I've tried.

I have a Logitech PS2 Mouse connected to the PS2/USB adapter. I purchased that mouse from GEEKS.COM. The shipment seems to have come direct from Logitech. Hopefully, they have a warehouse full of them. Here is a link to that item.

My link

The mouse is availabe with free shipping in the US at US$ 7.84 from Amazon: [http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PS-Optical-Wheel-Mouse/dp/B000HGMMH6]. Wow! I just ordered one. :-)

Cheers,

Thomas

I have been monitoring this forum for about a month, and I want to thank everyone who contributed to a success I had about a week ago. I'm a newbie here, and I had to wait for my PayPal check to clear before I could gain posting access.

Huh? Who has to pay to be able to post here? There's plenty of free members here who've been able to post from the day they signed up.

Huh? Who has to pay to be able to post here? There's plenty of free members here who've been able to post from the day they signed up.

I think I hit an anomaly(bug?). I signed up for the Atari magazine when I enrolled. That involves payment, and Pay Pal's process took four or five days. Meanwhile, every time I logged in, I couldn't get past a screen trying to send me back to Pay Pal. I didn't want to go since I had already initiated the payment process.

My link

The mouse is availabe with free shipping in the US at US$ 7.84 from Amazon: [http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PS-Optical-Wheel-Mouse/dp/B000HGMMH6]. Wow! I just ordered one. :-)

Cheers,

Thomas

I hope yours works. As I noted in my original posting, I bought a Microsoft Intellimouse from Amazon that arrived stone cold dead even though it appeared to be brand new.

I found a currently available full sized mouse that is compatible with this USB adapter:

Logitech Mouse M110

P/N: 810-001243

http://www.logitech.com/en-hk/mice-pointers/mice/devices/6735

I bought mine at Officemax for $18, but see it is for sale online starting at $8

Woo hoo! Thanks for that! I was concerned there weren't any. That looks to be a fine mouse, too - I can't stand when there's too many buttons - on the side, etc.

Unfortunately, there's none of the adapters listed on Ebay, anymore. I bought 2 but wish I'd bought 3, just to have additional spares of stuff that might not be available in the future....which is the case, and now we're in the future! I messaged the seller and asked him if he's going to list more and he didn't reply. I take that to mean "no."

He is listing Amiga adapters, however. They look better, too. They're a little bulkier, but in a good way, since they appear to have a nice case. Because the Amiga doesn't require the mouse to be plugged into a ridiculous under-keyboard cramped location, these look like they'd do quite nicely. The majority of the listing looks like the ST listing, so I assume (safe to do so?) that it would work with the same mice?

Amiga listing: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206457175271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120645717527&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I'm debating getting one, on the chance that one day I may try an Amiga again.

Edited by wood_jl

I found a currently available full sized mouse that is compatible with this USB adapter:

Logitech Mouse M110

P/N: 810-001243

http://www.logitech.com/en-hk/mice-pointers/mice/devices/6735

I bought mine at Officemax for $18, but see it is for sale online starting at $8

Woo hoo! Thanks for that! I was concerned there weren't any. That looks to be a fine mouse, too - I can't stand when there's too many buttons - on the side, etc.

Unfortunately, there's none of the adapters listed on Ebay, anymore. I bought 2 but wish I'd bought 3, just to have additional spares of stuff that might not be available in the future....which is the case, and now we're in the future! I messaged the seller and asked him if he's going to list more and he didn't reply. I take that to mean "no."

He is listing Amiga adapters, however. They look better, too. They're a little bulkier, but in a good way, since they appear to have a nice case. Because the Amiga doesn't require the mouse to be plugged into a ridiculous under-keyboard cramped location, these look like they'd do quite nicely. The majority of the listing looks like the ST listing, so I assume (safe to do so?) that it would work with the same mice?

Amiga listing: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206457175271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120645717527&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

is anyone who got one willing to open the heat shrink and take detailed pictures of the top and bottom, including chip id's? I have a feeling that a previous poster is correct in that it is just the ps/2 to ST adapter with a USB connector in ot.

It will work on the ST. Just need to switch around one of the wires - either x or y pins - you can easily look it up on the web.

Ebay just sent me a notification that three more Atari USB adapters are available. It looks like what I have, although I can't say for sure if it's the same seller. I am assuming that these things don't wear out and that I don't need a backup. Can anyone comment on that? Anyway, here's the link for anyone who missed out.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206542994951?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120654299495&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Ebay just sent me a notification that three more Atari USB adapters are available. It looks like what I have, although I can't say for sure if it's the same seller. I am assuming that these things don't wear out and that I don't need a backup. Can anyone comment on that? Anyway, here's the link for anyone who missed out.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206542994951?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120654299495&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It is the same seller. I ordered another one for backup, anyway - as I have more than one machine now and who knows in the future.

After I bought my first and the auctions for these eneded, I had messaged (via Ebay) the seller some time back, asking if there would be more and they never replied. Then all of a sudden, they show up again. So communication ain't too great. Who knows if there will be more. But this is a fantastic product (once you get a damn mouse that works with it/hence this thread) so I suggest everyone read this thread and consider getting one if you use the ol' ST (and derivatives) much.

It is the same seller. I ordered another one for backup, anyway - as I have more than one machine now and who knows in the future.

After I bought my first and the auctions for these eneded, I had messaged (via Ebay) the seller some time back, asking if there would be more and they never replied. Then all of a sudden, they show up again. So communication ain't too great. Who knows if there will be more. But this is a fantastic product (once you get a damn mouse that works with it/hence this thread) so I suggest everyone read this thread and consider getting one if you use the ol' ST (and derivatives) much.

I had an afterthought. I wonder if a PS2 joystick would work with this thing. Has anyone tried that? If it did, that would be a good reason to get another one of these devices. I wonder if it would be as hard to ferret out a joystick that would work as it was to find a mouse.

I'm going to assume you are referring to an Playstation 2 joystick? PS2 (Playstation 2) and PS/2 (IBM Personal System 2) are not the same thing, and I would be surprised if a PS2 to USB adapter connected to this device would result in a working joystick - at least, it would be easier to find and use an Atari compatible joystick. Atari joysticks are plentiful, as I think they were used on the 2600, 7800, 800, XL series, XE series, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, and all of the ST, TT, and Falcon systems.

I'm going to assume you are referring to an Playstation 2 joystick? PS2 (Playstation 2) and PS/2 (IBM Personal System 2) are not the same thing, and I would be surprised if a PS2 to USB adapter connected to this device would result in a working joystick - at least, it would be easier to find and use an Atari compatible joystick. Atari joysticks are plentiful, as I think they were used on the 2600, 7800, 800, XL series, XE series, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, and all of the ST, TT, and Falcon systems.

Thanks. I went on e-bay, and I did find an Atari joystick, which I ordered. I don't really know what I was talking about as far as PS2 compatible joysticks go. I have no experience with any of them.

The JeST is a clever solution for those that prefer a joypad - I didn't know that such a thing existed! I grew up with Atari joysticks, so I still prefer the old style right handed variety. Some of my favorites are the Wico bat style and Epyx 500 XJ. Fortunately, the Wico's are basically indestructable so between those and the new optical mice with this usb adapter, my Atari systems are all set.

• 2 weeks later...

A Christmas toast to everyone who contributed to this topic. Your efforts sure helped me bring my Atari Falcon back to usability. The solution may be awkward, but I've got smoother mousing than I ever had before on this machine, and I've owned it over 16 years. That's a pretty wonderful outcome. Merry Christmas.