IGNORED

score fade effect

RevEng

Here's a nice little bB kernel mod that adds a subtle fade effect to the score. This screen capture illustrates the effect turned on and off...

post-23476-127410691299_thumb.png

The score fade effect can only be used if you're not already using the "pfscore" option. Choosing the fading is just a matter of setting the scorefade constant in your bB code, or leaving it unset...

const scorefade=1

COLUBK=$00
scorecolor=$8f

gameloop
drawscreen
goto gameloop

scorefade.simple.bas

scorefade.simple.bas.bin

With scorefade on, you can also get a neat "scrolling colorbars" effect on the score by incrementing the scorecolor...

const scorefade=1
dim frame=a

COLUBK=$00
scorecolor=$0f

gameloop
rem the following code increments scorecolor every 4th frame...
  frame=frame+1
  temp1=frame&3
  if temp1 = 0 then scorecolor=scorecolor+1
drawscreen
goto gameloop

scorefade.colorscroll.bas

scorefade.colorscroll.bas.bin

The unified format patch for the standard bB kernel follows. I believe that it should be pretty straightforward to apply it to the score code in the multisprite kernel as well.

std_kernel.scorefade.diff.gz

[edit - fixed the forum eating my %00 in the source]

Edited by RevEng

I think at most you'll only see 3 additional cycles used. In the same vein, it only takes up a few additional ROM bytes, and no additional ram.

There are just a few asm commands involved in this this, and the majority of them took the place of NOPs in the timing-critical parts of the score code.

[edit - its not going to work with pfscore. The score kernel is really tight cyclewise - it's doing a heck of a lot - and there was barely enough time to squeeze the commands in when pfscore wasn't used. There's nothing else to take away from the score kernel that I can give to the score fade code.]

[edit 2 - actually you won't even see those 3 cycles lost. I forgot that they were during screen time, so they don't take anything away from the cycles available to your bB code]

Edited by RevEng