IGNORED

Memories of where and when you first played/saw this game

retrorussell

One more:

ASTRO FIGHTER (1980 DECO/Gremlin/SEGA)

I remember playing this one in the very early '80s. It was a cocktail machine in the lobby of Narvey's Restaurant in Dodgeville, WI. Game and restaurant both long gone now. I remember liking it. There was something about the graphics that I found appealing. They were simple with chunky pixels. The screen may have had a unique resolution or something that gave it a unique look. I feel it made lining up your shots easier. The addition of the fuel meter kept it from being just another Galaxian clone.

Newest one:

MAYDAY (1981 Hoei)

Defender ripoff with identical graphics, gameplay and COMPLETELY ripped off sounds. Not as bad as it could have been but forgettable just the same. I am trying to record it in MAME and it doesn't work. I got my first video recorded and the screen was split. Then I ran it through Format Factory as a AVI and it was all black.

15142801.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember this one? TRACK & FIELD from Konami, 1983 - outside of the USA, this was called "Hyper Olympics".

1181242183318.png

1181242183317.png

Exactly what it says on the tin - you competed against the computer or a live opponent in a number of events.

There were six events in all: 100 meter dash, long jump, javelin, 110 meter hurdles, hammer throw, and the high jump. You had to qualify for each event (read: win each event) before moving onto the next one. Early versions of the game had run buttons and an action button for jumping/throwing. Later versions of the game replaced the run buttons with a trackball.

I remember this one for sure. I actually ran across the early version (minus the trackball) at a bar in Italy. The later one with trackball I played at an arcade in Eden, North Carolina at a local mall arcade. Anyone else play this?

• Like 1

Anyone remember this one? TRACK & FIELD from Konami, 1983 - outside of the USA, this was called "Hyper Olympics".

1181242183318.png

1181242183317.png

Exactly what it says on the tin - you competed against the computer or a live opponent in a number of events.

There were six events in all: 100 meter dash, long jump, javelin, 110 meter hurdles, hammer throw, and the high jump. You had to qualify for each event (read: win each event) before moving onto the next one. Early versions of the game had run buttons and an action button for jumping/throwing. Later versions of the game replaced the run buttons with a trackball.

I remember this one for sure. I actually ran across the early version (minus the trackball) at a bar in Italy. The later one with trackball I played at an arcade in Eden, North Carolina at a local mall arcade. Anyone else play this?

I own this one, great game and it never gets old, and if it does just switch the pcb with Hyper Sports.

Track & Field was very popular; perhaps the first successful button-mashing game. I used to hear the voice samples over just about everything else in a small arcade. "On your mark. Get set. (BANG) (Or for the Long Jump: Jumping noise: BWOOOOOEEEEEWWWP) The distance.. 8 point 23 meters. And of course, the Chariots of Fire music played over the high score table/end of a round of the events.

• Thanks 1

I think the first time I saw Track & Field, it was while camping. Yep, that's right...CAMPING!

As it turns out, the campground owners had a little clubhouse where you could go in and play a few games...maybe pool too, I forget.

The games I remember them having...Track & Field, Pac-Man Cocktail and Berzerk.

It was good that this was available because the fishing was horrible!

It is rare but I have also seen little clubhouses with video games at camping sites/RV parks. Looping and maybe Sky Kid.

Another one to throw out there:

MR. DO! (1982, Universal)

mrdo.gif

I believe I first saw this puppy at a small arcade in Raleigh Hills in the Valley Plaza (the arcade didn't stick around too long; gone by the mid-80s). Wonderful game. I just wish there were hidden secrets to get the diamond to appear, instead of it being completely random.

• Like 1

Of course I played Mr. Do! I played it at that same flea market in Eden, North Carolina that I played Mappy and Loco-Motion. I also played it at an arcade elsewhere in the state - it was a beachfront resort's game room.

Mr. Do reminded me a lot of Dig Dug (minus the pumping of course).

Strangely enough the first time I saw a Mr. Do arcade machine was at my timeshare resort. I've been staying at Cold Spring in New Hampshire since I was 5 (1977) and with Funspot down the road you'd think THAT would be the place to see the new games.

CSP had just put 2 arcade games in the pool area and this was one of them. The other was Galaga. I spent quite a bit of time out of the unit that year. :)

Edited by ClassicGMR

Oh yeah, spent a LOT of time with this one. I honestly can't remember the very first time I saw it though... I do remember when everyone was using combs or pencils to "cheat" and hit the buttons faster. I guess they switched it to TB after this but I didn't know a trackball version was released until much later. Cool game, even had it in my personal arcade for awhile (although long gone now)

Old pic...

post-9102-0-52590700-1349096820_thumb.jpg

Now this one I do remember the first time. It was an overnight "lock in" at the YMCA. We did it for the last day of school, was a total blast. They had a Mr Do fired up...but I remember I didn't have ANY quarters and was bummed...of course near the end of the night I figured out it was on FREE PLAY, lol

• Like 1

Nice arcade, CC!

Another one:

SHOOT OUT, 1985 Data East

shoot_out_04.png

Not bad action game on a fixed screen where you simply shoot at targets, both deadly and non-threatening (for points). Some hard-to-hit ones will offer crazy bonus points!

I first saw this at a 7-11 in the Garden Home suburb of Portland. Can't really remember if I saw it anywhere else.

Nice arcade, CC!

Another one:

SHOOT OUT, 1985 Data East

shoot_out_04.png

Not bad action game on a fixed screen where you simply shoot at targets, both deadly and non-threatening (for points). Some hard-to-hit ones will offer crazy bonus points!

I first saw this at a 7-11 in the Garden Home suburb of Portland. Can't really remember if I saw it anywhere else.

Thanks!

Never heard of shoot out...it does look similar to a game I played briefly on my babystar 475 in 1 multiboard though so I "may" have played it, I guess that would be the first time I saw it ;)

• Like 1

One more and I'll wait a while before posting another:

HUNCHBACK (1983 Century Electronics)

1181242122277.jpg

hunchback_dk_conversion.png

Okay Pitfall-like game where you traverse dangers on a fixed screen to advance to the next screen. Getting through 5 screens without dying nets you a big bonus. At the end of the game (I can't remember how many screens there are) you save Esmerelda. I only saw this once, in a small arcade in Beaverton's Valley Plaza. The arcade closed in the mid-80s. Century Electronics (a British company) didn't make many good games; this, Dazzler and Video 8 Ball were about it. Their cabinets in which you could switch out PCBs were known as CVS (Century Video System), as shown on the marquees to their games.

It is rare but I have also seen little clubhouses with video games at camping sites/RV parks. Looping and maybe Sky Kid.

mrdo.gif

I believe I first saw this puppy at a small arcade in Raleigh Hills in the Valley Plaza (the arcade didn't stick around too long; gone by the mid-80s). Wonderful game. I just wish there were hidden secrets to get the diamond to appear, instead of it being completely random.

Had this one at the office for a few years, even the younger employees liked it.

Edited by atarian63

• 3 weeks later...

2 from 1981:

SPACE ODYSSEY

Sucky Scramble-like multi-leveled space shooter by Gremlin/SEGA.

spaceod.png

I think I first saw this at a Chuck E. Cheese, after I had read about it in my HOW TO MASTER THE VIDEO GAMES book by Tom Hirschfeld.

Also:

BORDERLINE (Gremlin/SEGA)

Actually fairly good military jeep warfare game. Steer through enemy territory, blasting enemies, forts and nuclear generators (I guess), in multiple missions per round. Very rare game.

10737.jpg

I only saw this once, at an arcade on the Oregon coast in Seaside. This was several years after the game was released. I didn't play it (weird, obscure games actually kind of scared me away). The game always makes me think of the Madonna song, and vice versa.

These two I've never heard of.

Borderline I believe was for SG-1000, but yeah they're both pretty rare.

Here's another:

SPACE ZAP (1980, Midway)

Reflex game, much like the later Cosmic Ark (Imagic, Atari 2600) and Space Fortress (Bally Astrocade), where you protect your space fort by moving and firing 4 laser turrets. Enemy ships, mines and satellites attack faster and faster as gameplay continues.

2nvzes1.jpg

space_zap.png