IGNORED

A couple of trips to Ikea later...

I'm not really a collector, as such. I've just hung onto all of this stuff since I bought it new (there are a handful of exceptions though). Still, I guess it qualifies as a collection of sorts. Or perhaps an agglomeration.

I last posted a pic about four years ago...

post-2641-127555145781_thumb.jpg

...but it didn't include my 7800 or Lynx games, and I didn't have nearly the homebrews then that I do now.

Since I ran out of space on that bookshelf, I went and picked up some Benno CD/DVD racks from Ikea. The nice thing about them is they're configurable, so you can change the layout to match whatever you're trying to store. They're a little too deep for loose cartridges, but that's easily fixable by just putting a strip of cardboard or foam core behind them to act as a stop.

Had I known they were going to discontinue Beech though (the darker veneer) I would've bought more of them earlier, so they'd all match now. Lesson learned... buy black or white instead.

post-2641-127555130952_thumb.jpg

I'm looking to pick up a few more Lynx games from B&C Computervisions, and I'll keep adding more homebrews as they appear. But as far as any other collecting goes, I'm basically done. (Unless I buy a Vectrex someday... :ponder: )

This doesn't show my systems, but maybe if I get ambitious, I'll photograph those.

Well, I do have this pic...

post-2641-127555190264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan Strum

Nice looking collection and shelves.

Thats is the single thing I hate about shopping at Ikea. If you buy any tables/cabinets/furniture from them and its in any color other that white or Black/brown, you take the chance that a year or two down the road when you need more matching pieces they will be discontinued.

Ran into that problem recently trying to match up a new tv stand to our beech effect tables. Haha - surprise! Nothing available in that color that would match.

So, we get to replace all that stuff and the dining room table so it all matches at the same time.

Grrrr...

Thats is the single thing I hate about shopping at Ikea. If you buy any tables/cabinets/furniture from them and its in any color other that white or Black/brown, you take the chance that a year or two down the road when you need more matching pieces they will be discontinued.

Even if they have the same colors, the wood veneer tends to darken over time, so new pieces don't match the old ones.

If I'd had a table saw and some space to work, I could have built all of these for less money, and then finished them however I wanted. But that just wasn't an option.

The key to this particular project was screwing the individual racks together, then securing the whole thing to the wall (at several studs). The combined unit is rock-solid now (and probably weighs over 200 pounds :roll: ).

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Homebrews Bat-Man! You must have every single one! Cool!

That is pretty cool that you saved all your stuff from the 80's, judging by your line up you would have had everyone from my neighborhood (myself included) over playing Atari daily, many of those games I had no idea even exsisted when I was a kid. Nice set up :)

Out of curiousity, why did you save all the boxes? Were you just a born collector? I remember promptly throwing mine in the trash after I opened/played the game, not sure why but boxes never mattered to me back then (although I don't think I was the only one based on the amounts of loose games out there now :D )

Holy Homebrews Bat-Man! You must have every single one! Cool!

Pretty-much everything currently available in the AtariAge store. And all reviewed in my blog, as well.

But homebrews from independent releases, or other sellers - no.

That is pretty cool that you saved all your stuff from the 80's, judging by your line up you would have had everyone from my neighborhood (myself included) over playing Atari daily, many of those games I had no idea even exsisted when I was a kid. Nice set up :)

Thanks. I had friends come over and play, but there weren't any who actually lived in my neighborhood, so it was a little fewer-and-farther-between than I would have liked.

A lot of the games were picked up during the crash in bargain bins. A lot of those titles I'd have never bought if they weren't five bucks or less.

Out of curiousity, why did you save all the boxes? Were you just a born collector? I remember promptly throwing mine in the trash after I opened/played the game, not sure why but boxes never mattered to me back then (although I don't think I was the only one based on the amounts of loose games out there now :D )

Not sure why. I guess they just appealed to me for some reason. I sure didn't keep the packaging for anything else I owned at the time. Probably it was a matter of it being a convenient way to store them on bookshelves I already had in my room. It kept everything in one place (manual, cart), so that's probably why. I didn't keep the Tron joystick box unfortunately, but I've since picked up the boxes for the two games that came with it. That and Threshold are my only two concessions to acquiring vintage 2600 games.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I'm a keeper, more than an active collector. I don't go out looking for stuff to add to it.

The homebrews are kind of the exception to that, except I probably wouldn't have nearly that many if I hadn't been a contributor on a number of them (graphics, labels, manuals, etc).

• 7 months later...