IGNORED

Price Check & Opinions: Emerson Arcadia 2001

So thanks to a friendly reminder from HHW :thumbsup: I put up a little Craigslist posting asking for Atari-era vintage games and systems. Not more than 20 minutes later I get an e-mail from a guy that has an Apple //c (which I already have thanks to atarian!) and an Emerson Arcadia 2001. I e-mailed to say I'm interested in the Arcadia. He sent pictures and it's in good shape but he says it's missing the power supply and it's not tested. He got it without the power supply. Now that makes me a bit skeptical, as that's the #1 thing to do on eBay for non-working stuff -- "untested, do not have cords", etc. but looking at the pictures it's well taken care of. I would hedge a guess on it working.

How much are these little puppies worth? I've never had one nor seen one before, which makes it interesting to me. Are they fun to play? Worth it for me to collect? Not worth it? Console good, console bad? I did a little research into the games and they seem alright. Worth my time to respond with an offer? If so, what would be a good offer? I really would like to goof around with one of these, but if it's worth a lot of money I'll lowball but probably won't get it.

Remember the system is missing a cord and isn't tested. I can push that and I don't want to pay "full, working price" for something that may or may not work. But let me know what a working one is worth so I can get a max offer idea. :D

Second question: How hard would it be for me to find a power supply for it? eBay doesn't really have much in the way of Arcadia stuff.

EDIT: Found an emulator online. Going to putz around with it a bit and see if it's something I might be interested in. I'll make a lowball as hell offer and see what happens, I guess. ;)

They're not worth much loose, I'd pay no more than $20 or so. The power supply is generic so you're alright there and the controllers are built in.

The games aren't all that hot, but they do have some charm. The graphics usually aren't bad, but the sound is god awful to point that it starts to hurt the ears after awhile. The games usually don't play all that well either, but they're fun in short spurts and some games obviously play better than others. If you can get it cheap it would be worth picking up and then finding one of Ward's multi-carts.

Tempest

Cool! I goofed around with the emulator and if the sound is as horrid as the emulator was that's definitely a negative! Egads! Some of the games I played were obvious knock-offs from 2600 but they had a goofy little charm like you say. I think I will make an offer. :)

I was thinking of offering $10 or so since it's missing the power supply. The guy says it's just been in his closet for 12 years, but he'd look to see if he could find the power supply. He said it worked great but they lost the power supply so it's been in storage.

I agree $10 to $20 tops. :)

Second that. I'm of the opinion that the ebay "trick" you speak of isn't always a bad deal. Some sellers are just parents clearing out their kids old "junk". Buying a unit from a seller who is misspelling the item or leaving out vital descriptive information (i.e. they actually don't really know what they have or what it's worth), etc usually signals you might be able to nab a working system, you just need to track down the separate parts. I've ordered three units (a CD-i and two 3DO's) without cables

In your case though, I'd be somewhat hesitant I guess if it was me. If it's a $10-20 investment, it's not the biggest risk though - if he takes it.

• 1 year later...

yeah, i think you guys haven't really followed the emerson arcadia as of late. They're rarely on ebay, and even broken systems sell for 70+ before shipping. I almost jumped on a boxed one with a BIN of 80 bucks, but because of older advise from this site, I didn't. An hour later it was sold. so the 10-20 dollar for the system is far from accurate.

• 1 month later...

Baseball (loose cart) -$5

American Football (loose cart) - $5

Missile War (box, cart and no manual) - $10

Generally loose games are about $5 unless they're rare titles or import only titles. Boxed commons are about $10 but rarer titles can go for $20-$40. Import only boxed games can go for $60 or more to the right buyer.

The rarest US released game is Red Clash (Spiders is a close second). That one can go for $100-$150, but I've only seen it once.

Generally loose games are about $5 unless they're rare titles or import only titles. Boxed commons are about $10 but rarer titles can go for $20-$40. Import only boxed games can go for $60 or more to the right buyer.

The rarest US released game is Red Clash (Spiders is a close second). That one can go for $100-$150, but I've only seen it once.

Thanks for the info. I just put them up in the marketplace. Think i'll go with 4.00 / 4.00 and 8.00

Edited by cncfreak

They're not worth much loose, I'd pay no more than $20 or so. The power supply is generic so you're alright there and the controllers are built in.

The games aren't all that hot, but they do have some charm. The graphics usually aren't bad, but the sound is god awful to point that it starts to hurt the ears after awhile. The games usually don't play all that well either, but they're fun in short spurts and some games obviously play better than others. If you can get it cheap it would be worth picking up and then finding one of Ward's multi-carts.

Tempest

I tried Wards Multi carts ad Digital press during a NAVA Meeting Joe the owner turned me onto it and it's pretty cool. A must have.

But, one of the best games for this system is also one of the most common, its called Tanks Alot, ,graphics are ok, Sound IS good for what it is, I remember when i first got this from Crazy Eddie when it first came out , it was my 2nd system next to my O2,.

But i do have to ask one question: does the system still have the screw in joystick installed or are you using it like an intelivision controller?

you might want to mention that for some of those games, the overlay is important...

Tempest

I tried Wards Multi carts ad Digital press during a NAVA Meeting Joe the owner turned me onto it and it's pretty cool. A must have.

If you're interested, I've got a multicart in progress, which will be ready over the next couple weeks or so. $100 max. (maybe a bit less) for early adopters... http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/189779-arcadia-2001-multicart-2011-version-any-interest/page__fromsearch__1