IGNORED

Portability of Atari consoles, especially the Jr

Jifremok

I recently got an Atari 7800, but realized that Activision carts don't feel right and Imagic carts make me think I'm gonna break something. When deciding that I need a 2600 system despite the sheer redundancy of having an Atari 7800 and the system it's backwards-compatible with, I came up with perfect justification: I need to show people the awesomeness of Warlords and maybe Kaboom!, and I'm starting that with a college anime club's video game night.

I'm looking at the Jr since it's so small, and I'd probably be afraid to take those really nostalgic-looking models away from home. So, how small is the Jr compared to a 7800 (and the old 2600s for that matter), how much does it weigh, and most importantly how careful do I need to be in carrying it? (Optimally I'd like to simply have it in an ordinary backpack and be able to walk/run with it without worry.)

The JR is smaller than the 7800, maybe 3/4 to 5/6 of the size, and I'd say a little less prone to failure. Atari systems are tough, but they're also 30+ years old typically, and running with them regularly isn't a good idea. I mean, if it's like a steal the 2600 from a bear and run situation, sure, deal with it. Bears don't like it when you take their video game systems from them. Fact: Most bears prefer the Sega Genesis to the Super Nintendo. Not sure why.

My current 2600 is a Jr. and it, with a pair of Gemini controllers take up very little space and give you joystick and paddles combined (along with the required "y" connector). For conveniece, you can also swap the RF switch for an RF / RCA connector. As far as that goes, Gemini controllers are probably easier found with a Gemini, which is about the same size as the JR. I just dont know how durable the Gemeni hardware is. Morgan

The Gemini console itself is fairly brittle and I think the joystick housings are made of the same plastic. I LOVE the Gemini sticks, which were sold separately under the name "Dual Command". They are identical other than the name on the sticker between the stick and paddle. The button isn't the best on the Gemini/CC stick. The stick has a nice feel with a big spring, and the paddle right there is nice to have.

i got a jr for the first time a few months ago cause my familys origional 2600 bought back in the 1980 wouold just loose all color after about 15 minutes

the jr aka "under 50 bucks" is great the carts go in vert as opposed to the old ones that cause them to pop a wheelie when i shove in a game

its kind of funny seeing a huge supercharger hanging out of mine it really dwarfs it

• Like 1

Here's a nice Bible inclusive, non-denominational book of specific interest cover that's just about the right size for carrying a Jr. ;)

http://www.hatcastle.com/store/p/703-Bible-Cover-600-D-Polyester-Large.html?Feed=GoogleProductSearch&gdftrk=gdfV2354_a_7c414_a_7c1140_a_7cC_d_BIBLE_d_L

hey you know the rules no P+R. It's ok, I fixed it.

• Like 1

Here's a nice Bible inclusive, non-denominational book of specific interest cover that's just about the right size for carrying a Jr. ;)

http://www.hatcastle.com/store/p/703-Bible-Cover-600-D-Polyester-Large.html?Feed=GoogleProductSearch&gdftrk=gdfV2354_a_7c414_a_7c1140_a_7cC_d_BIBLE_d_L

hey you know the rules no P+R. It's ok, I fixed it.

:lol: I tried looking for book covers and came up with zilch. I guess Christians are the only people who love their books so much they buy padded cases for them.

The Gemini console itself is fairly brittle and I think the joystick housings are made of the same plastic. I LOVE the Gemini sticks, which were sold separately under the name "Dual Command". They are identical other than the name on the sticker between the stick and paddle. The button isn't the best on the Gemini/CC stick. The stick has a nice feel with a big spring, and the paddle right there is nice to have.

Mine say "dual command", so I guess they were the sold separately version. They feel a little insubstantial when you first pick them up, but I got to love them. I have used them a LOT, so durability is good. The paddles are just now developing some jitter.