IGNORED

Top Five WORST Consoles in Video Game History

Obviously you can't have a Greatest of All Time Countdown without a Worst of All Time Countdown, right? The ground rules are basically the same as the Best Of list, but this time I bent the "no portables" rule a bit and included one that I felt was absolutely very deserving to make the list. How did it rank and why? Read on and find out.

For the purposes of this list, I only included consoles that were reasonably promoted/advertised. I know there was another handheld that arguably did worse than the one I included but it was not really promoted/advertised in the US at all (I didn't even know of its existence at the time).

As for the consoles like the 3DO, Neo-Geo, and so on, I'll include those in a special "Dishonorable Mention" section later.

5. Atari Jaguar

===========

(1993-1996), 250,000 sold, 67 (+14 CD) games, $250 (+$150 for CD) lanuch price

Why it looked so promising:

-----------------------------------------

Having been on the sidelines since the failed Atari 7800, Atari originally was going to go toe-to-toe with the Genesis and SNES with the Atari Panther, a proposed 16 bit console. But Atari figured that their best chance was to not try to compete with the Genesis/SNES on their own terms, but rather blow both away in terms of technical prowless and offer a 64-bit console a full two years before the Saturn and Playstation (which at the time were not even really thought of).

And why it failed so miserably:

---------------------------------------------

Obviously the launch price (double that of the Genesis and SNES) did not help any and it was very lacking in exclusives (due to the difficulty of programming for the console and third parties not thinking the Jaguar was really worth developing for). But what hurt the console most of all was its gigantic uncomfortable controller (which also featured "telephone buttons" that were rarely if ever used) that was arguably just as bad if not worse than a certain previous Atari console (more on that later). Jaguar commercials insisted on "Doing the Math" and protraying it as a 64-bit console despite the fact that its main CPU was really only 32-bit. The fact that Atari's previous two home console efforts were unsuccessful also helped ensure that the third time was definetly not a charm for Atari.

4. Sega 32X

=========

(1994-1996), 665,000 sold, 32 games (plus 5 CD-32X games), $160 lanuch price

With the Fifth Generation (32/64 bit era) just around the corner, Sega was hoping to give existing Genesis owners a taste of the 32 bit action. Because the upcoming Saturn would be so expensive (it was $400 at launch), Sega figured the Genesis would surely have some life left in it for the first year or two after the Saturn's release, just like Nintendo's NES kept going for three years after the release of the SNES. Furthermore, they hoped with the 32X's upgraded color palette (which finally matched and slightly exceeded the SNES), it could compete graphics/sound wise with the SNES. Finally, there was a debate as to whether Sega's Fifth Generation console should be cartridge or CD based; this way Sega figured, gamers could have the best of both worlds (cartridges on 32X, CD's on Saturn)

Though it was clearly very popular pre-launch, the fact that Sega could not fill all the pre-orders (600,000 consoles available versus pre-orders of at least a few million) made a pretty poor first impression. But it would later get much worse. Contrary to the 32X commercial, installing the 32X was definetly not as easy as "just stick it in your Genesis" as you needed a seperate AC Adapter, an extra cable to make the sprites visible, and the new Genesis 2 required a "spacer" to fit properly which further frustrated customers who couldn't get the 32X to even work right. The $10 rebate coupons included with the 32X was also difficult to redeem and were certainly no substitute for a pack-in title (which the Genesis included from the beginning and the Sega CD included up to FOUR pack-in titles!). What further hurt the system was that the games didn't look/sound much better than regular Genesis for the most part (and for its Doom port, it was missing levels even the SNES version had!). But by the time 1995 arrived, the Saturn was coming soon (it turned out to be in May) and though Sega insisted 32X support would continue, game developers were already abandoning the 32X in droves in favor of the Saturn or Playstation. Then Sega flip-flopped and announced that they would only support the Saturn and no other consoles. By this time, the 32X's were priced at only $20 and the proposed Neptune console (Genesis/32X in one) never saw the light of day.

3. Atari 5200

==========

(1982-1984), 1 million sold, 69 games, $200? lanuch price

With the massive success of the Atari 2600, Atari wanted to design a new console that could better compete with the Intellevision. Not only in terms of graphics/sound, but the Atari 5200 would be the first attempt at an analog joystick and would have the "telephone pad" just like the Intellevision's controller and would be the first console to offer standard four controller ports.

The first thing that hurt the 5200 was the size of the console itself; it was even bigger than an Xbox! Second, it had a very unorthodox hookup style (with both the power and TV video connection going through the same cable and same adapter). But what hurt the 5200 most of all was the abysmal controller design--the joystick did not automatically center itself and was so weak it often broke after only a short time. Furthermore, the 5200, rather than competing with Intellevision, was instead faced with the technologically superior Colecovsion. The fact that the 5200 could not play 2600 cartridges standard (this was corrected with the later 7800) didn't help either and the adapter for it did not appear until the 5200 was all but dead. This console is probably the only time in video game history in which a successor console's failure resulted in the company falling back on its old console.

2. Virtual Boy

==========

(1995-1996), 770,000 sold, 14 games, $180 launch price

In the early-to-mid 1990s, virtual reality was seen as the wave of the future. Nintendo figured why not have a home console that will give gamers a taste of this technology? They also figured that since the Nintendo 64 was still a little over a year away, it would be a great "third platform" to go with their home console (SNES, later N64) and portable (Game Boy) platforms. So sure was Nintendo of Virtual Boy's potential, that they used the 75th issue of Nintendo Power to promote the Virtual Boy with the Virtual Boy itself making the front cover.

First, it was (sort of) marketed as a portable system when in fact it was clearly not. The warning that your eyes would hurt even after playing for not even an hour or two (with clear warning labels attesting that fact) scarred many parents from buying this console for their children and no doubt turned off adult customers too. You also had to sit in a chair at a table to even use the Virtual Boy, as opposed to just being comfortably on the couch with a home console or taking a true portable anywhere on the go. As for the fact that the Virtual Boy could only do black/red, Nintendo insisted that it would take three times as many color guns and would easily cost three times as much. But worse of all, all but maybe two of the games did not really take advantage of the virtual reality technology at all (in the sense of being played in first person) and would've looked/played better on their regular console/handheld.

1. Nokia N-Gage

============

(2003-2006), 3 million sold, number of games unknown, $300 launch price

With cellphones starting to become more advanced and being able to do other things such as play small games, Nokia thought it had a sure thing going when they decided to offer both video games and a cell phone all in one unit. It was designed to be a jack-of-all-trades so to speak.

Because all of you know the saying that a jack of all trades is a master of none? Well, the N-Gage did a terrible, TERRIBLE job of both its main features. Using the N-Gage as a phone was cumbersome and resembled holding a "taco". But the games feature was even worse. The best example of that fact was the N-Gage's port of Sonic Advance. It was on a seemingly more advanced platform, which means it should be better right? No, it was far worse because it did not offer the Tiny Chao Garden and most of all, had a very narrow cramped screen where you could hardly see anything surrounding Sonic! Thus gamers reasoned why should I pay triple the cost of a GBA-SP to play WORSE versions of its games? As a result, GameStop/EB Games immediately docked $100 off the N-Gage within just 17 days of launch and overall GBA outsold the N-Gage 100 to 1. Needless to say, the N-Gage featured very few exclusives at all. Though the N-Gage tried meekly to save the console with later revisions, the writing was on the wall from the very start and resulted in what I consider the absoulte worst console in history. At least with the others on this list you felt like at or just before launch they had a reasonable chance, but pretty much everyone knew from the start that the N-Gage was a joke. Frankly, it's a miracle it even lasted three years when it easily was all but dead within three months.

Edited by Dittohead Servbot #24
  • Like 1

Well, I agree that those are all bad, but your inclusion of the Atari Jaguar is almost certainly going to lure some of the neanderthals out of the Jag forum and in here to start a fight.

Definitely disagree with giving the Neo Geo a dishonorable anything though. It's a great system. Just too expensive.

Chris

Well, I agree that those are all bad, but your inclusion of the Atari Jaguar is almost certainly going to lure some of the neanderthals out of the Jag forum and in here to start a fight.

Definitely disagree with giving the Neo Geo a dishonorable anything though. It's a great system. Just too expensive.

Chris

Well, seeing as how I only ranked the Jag fifth on the list even though it sold by far the least amount of consoles on the list, and the fact that the 2600 was second on my greatest list ensures that overall I think I gave both lists as fair and balanced a shake as I could. And since this is nowhere near the Jag or 5200 forums, I certainly hope they don't count this as trolling.

And the reason Neo-Geo/3D0 and other similar consoles didn't make the cut is because it was hard to tell which one stood out above all the others (the fifth one on the list was the was the one I was debating on; the first four were easy) and once I saw that the Jaguar sold far less consoles and had far less games, I decided it was the most qualified for the last slot on the list. Again, more on the Neo-Geo/3D0/etc later.

Edited by Dittohead Servbot #24

with the list, I pretty well agree that those were all fairly bad systems. I'd probably move Jaguar above the 32x and VB, actually. I own everything on the list, and can say there's a certain charm to all of them, but I have very little pity for jag thanks to those ads.

agreed, neo geo would be on many folks top 5. I certainly wouldn't put Ferrari or Rolls Royce anywhere near my bottom 5 carmaker list just because they charge a lot and don't make a full range of cars.

Edited by Reaperman

Obviously, the 5200 doesn't belong on this list. Yes, all things considered, the controller sucks, but I wouldn't characterize it as "weak". I've never found a broken one. It's unreliable and has extremely poor ergonomics, but the CV and INTV controllers are just as bad, if not worse.

"Technologically superior Colecovision"--:?

The RCA Studio II, Channel F, Bally Astrocade, APF, or at least a half a dozen other consoles should be considered for this list before the 5200.

Fair enough if you want to put the Jaguar thats your opinion but at least get your facts straight please:

1. The Jaguar dosn't have a CPU. Its a multiprocessor architecture machine where either the GPU, DSP or the 68k which is just the "boot chip" can control the machine. The 68k is a 16-bit chip (not 32-bit) and is too often described as the CPU which is false as its true purpose is to boot the machine and read the joypads. The custom processors and the data bus are 64-bit so this makes the Jag 64-bit. End of story on that.

2. The usual ragging on the Joypads nonsense. There was a poll recently where not one person who actually used the Jag pads described them as uncomfortable or bad in anyway. The Pro controller is actully my favourite console joypad (yes I prefer it to the Saturn one!)

3. The Panther was a 32-Bit machine not 16-Bit.

• Like 2

Oh geez, not another one of these.. You're going to seriously piss a lot of people off with this one. :mad:

Nothing wrong with that. Heated arguments are fun.

Don't forget to bust out the elaborate line graphs and statistics, guys.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

These lists will always be subjective. There can never be any definitive list because there is zero scientific basis. They are based on either personal or popular public opinion. Also, what makes it "worst"? Who knows? Every list has it's own bullet points about why it was the worst system. For every one I can reply with "Yeah, but what about the games? Did it have a solid number of quality titles? Was it a reliable system? Well built?". Those, to me, are more important factors than "The system had crappy controllers!" "It was advertised as *blah* *blah* *blah*" "It was too big!" "It didn't have a pack-in game!"

Just about every system out there appeals to somebody somewhere so how can it be a "worst" if not everybody agrees on that point? Find me a console that has zero redeeming qualities and is reviled by all who play it then we'll talk.

Every system in this list has some redeeming qualities of some kind:

5. Jaguar - the controllers were always kind of neat, IMO. I have no interest in the system but I also have never played one so I can't say anything more.

4. 32X - I always like the idea of plugging something into my Genesis to make it more powerful. I thought Sega was onto something. I love expandability in systems and was disappointed when Nintendo never made use of that port on the bottom of the NES.

3. 5200 - Although poorly implemented, the analog controllers had some appeal to me. The library is pretty solid, too, even if the games were a little long in the tooth.

2. Virtual Boy - Look at the industry today. Everyone's falling over themselves trying to push 3D onto consumers. 3D effects are neat. Nintendo tried it with the VB. Give 'em credit for that.

1. N-Gage - Any system that requires you to take a battery out to insert a game? Well, that's a red flag right there. They apparently fixed it with the redesign so my criteria still apply: "What about the games? Did it have a solid number of quality titles? Was it a reliable system? Well built?"

• Like 1

"God, you're such a fanboy!"

"NO YOU ARE THE FANBOY"

"NUH UH FANBOY SHUT UP FANBOY"

"FANBOY FANBOY FANBOY FANBOY"

There. I saved all of you countless hours of time by summing up what this thread will become starting about 14 seconds from now.

Oh wait, you said something negative about the Jaguar (FOR SHAME YOU SHOULD ROT IN HELL *gasp*), so give it about 5 seconds actually. :roll:

• Like 5

There is no way the 5200 belongs on this list - a console that sells more than one million units in a two year span and has one of the best libraries in the classic era?? Yes, yes - with our modern eyes we can complain about the controllers, but the games, the trackball, and the console itself were excellent.

Just add some more to the thread here are my 5 worst consoles:

1. Commodore 64GS - Its a C64, which is bad enough, in a horrible console case. The ultimate fail as far as I am concerned.

2. Amstrad GX4000 - Its an Amstrad in a console case but at least its the CPC+ and its a nice case which makes it better than the C64GS!

3. Amiga CD32 - Its an Amiga in a console case (bit of a theme here!) and offers very little an A1200 dosn't. Pretty pointless machine.

4. Nintendo Virtual Boy - Horrible red graphics that made your eyes hurt and it was near impossble to find a comfotable way to play it.

5. Nintendo Entertainment System - Always hated this console with its crap interpretations of arcade games and bland kiddy styled graphics.

Of course this list is totally based on my own opinions and I have never played on a Coleco, Intellivision or O2. If they came out in the UK I have never seen one and have only played 3 games on the 5200 so would be unfair to include that.

Every system in this list has some redeeming qualities of some kind:

5. Jaguar - the controllers were always kind of neat, IMO. I have no interest in the system but I also have never played one so I can't say anything more.

4. 32X - I always like the idea of plugging something into my Genesis to make it more powerful. I thought Sega was onto something. I love expandability in systems and was disappointed when Nintendo never made use of that port on the bottom of the NES.

3. 5200 - Although poorly implemented, the analog controllers had some appeal to me. The library is pretty solid, too, even if the games were a little long in the tooth.

2. Virtual Boy - Look at the industry today. Everyone's falling over themselves trying to push 3D onto consumers. 3D effects are neat. Nintendo tried it with the VB. Give 'em credit for that.

1. N-Gage - Any system that requires you to take a battery out to insert a game? Well, that's a red flag right there. They apparently fixed it with the redesign so my criteria still apply: "What about the games? Did it have a solid number of quality titles? Was it a reliable system? Well built?"

Actually, that's all the more reason for this countdown I split each console (or handheld in the case of the N-Gage) into two sections; why it seemed like such a good idea at first, and why it ultimately didn't work out. For all of them except the N-Gage, they did indeed have some good things about them and I think they obviously had potential (or else the company wouldn't have even tried to release the console in the first place), they just weren't nearly enough to overcome the faults that ultimately lead to that console's not being successful. In fact, I was even thinking about including some things that could've been done differently that could've saved the console from failure. For example, if Sega insisted that all 2D 32-bit games go to the 32X and all 3D 32-bit games go to the Saturn AND made the Saturn backwards compatible with Genesis/CD/32X (it did have a cartridge slot after all), I think the 32X's performance would've been a LOT better.

Fair enough if you want to put the Jaguar thats your opinion but at least get your facts straight please:

1. The Jaguar dosn't have a CPU. Its a multiprocessor architecture machine where either the GPU, DSP or the 68k which is just the "boot chip" can control the machine. The 68k is a 16-bit chip (not 32-bit) and is too often described as the CPU which is false as its true purpose is to boot the machine and read the joypads. The custom processors and the data bus are 64-bit so this makes the Jag 64-bit. End of story on that.

3. The Panther was a 32-Bit machine not 16-Bit.

For those two I definitely stand corrected. I could've sworn that the Panther was supposed to be a 16-bit console; shoot even a 32-bit console would've been pretty far advanced for 1993. As for the controller mentioned in #2, maybe some can work it okay, but it just wouldn't be comfortable for me.

For all of them except the N-Gage, they did indeed have some good things about them and I think they obviously had potential (or else the company wouldn't have even tried to release the console in the first place), they just weren't nearly enough to overcome the faults that ultimately lead to that console's not being successful.

Ah, so the criteria for "worst" is based on the consoles's success? As in dollar amounts? What about the Lynx? It could be considered a financial failure but it was a success in the eyes and minds of those of us who own(ed) and enjoy(ed) it. Just because something isn't successful doesn't mean it's bad. Maybe it's a victim of bad timing (Lynx) or being too far ahead of its time (Virtual Boy). I guess a "Top Five LEAST FINANCIALLY SUCCESSFUL Consoles in Video Game History" isn't as attention grabbing or polarizing, but at least it'd be a bit more scientific and less prone to the heated "fanboy" (I hate that word) wars that are likely to follow. But if that's what you're aiming for I'll just shut up and watch. ;)

• Like 1

When you get down to it, the Jag filed (well it was a success in one very important way, but I'll get to that) for several reasons:

the most integral is that Atari Corp was weak at the time, the Lynx was selling very modestly (I think a bit better in Europe) and their computers had pretty much died by 1992 and Atari Corp was in pretty shaky financial shape and lack of funding forcing their hand at the time, so they did the US only (originally planned to include Paris and London) test market in 1993 apparently to help secure investors, and it worked. (only other option would have been to risk private funds)

Then there were the management problems, but that goes hand in hand with funding limitations. (I'm not sure if Atari Corp even had a head of the entertainment division anymore -Bernie Stolar is the last I know of and he left in 1992) That played into the limited marketing obviously. After they won the Sega suit in '94, they had a bit more cache to work with too. There's the hardware/software issues too, but from the developers perspective, they simply hadn't predicted the rapidly changing environment in the field (shift from emphasis on hardware level assembly language work to mainly C libraries championed by 3DO and followed by Sony -one thing that screwed up Sega too with the Saturn, though at least they had RISC CPUs with good C capability)

For the hardware the issue was the design dated to 1990 for the core architecture (set on paper -actual silicon design following that), so it would indeed have been hard to predict trends 3 years later (and ones only emphasized further by Sony), but the chips were very advanced and used a shocking .5 micron process (only started showing up on high-end commercial microchips in 1994). From that standpoint Flair put an emphasis on different thing: gouraud shading primarily with texture mapping as a limited feature (an occasional effect for rotating sprites and decals/billboards) a flexible GPU intended to handle 3D math and rasterzation (no hardware rasterizer like 3DO, PSX, or Saturn -albeit 3DO and Saturn used quads and some saturn games resorted to software rasterization iirc), the object processor handling video generation and 2D/scaled sprites, and another RISC chip intended primiarily for audio synthesis. They supported a variety of CPU architectures (68k and x86 primarily, but several others by extention of that -MIPS R3000 for sure, likely PowerPC or ARM as well) and had a unified 64-bit system bus using cheap PFM DRAM.

In the particularly implementation used by Atari, they were aiming at super low cost, so they went with a 68000 for the CPU and again used cheap DRAM (as well as a single bank rather than the dual banks supported by the chipset) and cartridges, of course. The aim was a $150-200 launch price (opposed to $400 for the contemporary CD32 with much weaker hardware, or 3DO for that matter -but the 3DO had the added issue of an odd market model), it ended up being more expensive than they'd wanted initially, though if dropped below $200 in 1994 and to $150 in early 1995 ($100 late in the year), a very good value for the hardware and much cheaper than anything comparable at the time. (the PSX and Saturn were far more expensive, though Sony dumped the price when they brought it to the west -Atari never followed through with their lawsuit threat though, but they weren't in a position to care so much by that point)

There were hardware bugs that were tied to the limited funding and release schedule (as well as low-cost design), on top of that the development tools were very minimal, though so were many contemporaries prior to the likes of the 3DO and PSX (though not usually with so many bugs). In hindsight it seems like it would have been a very good idea to commission a comprehensive SDK as soon as monetarily feasible: id software would seem the ideal choice given Atari already commissioning several games and the fact that id ended up creating their own tools and workarounds for the platform including a working C compiler (not sure if it was used in Doom or not -C may have been for 68k only, but definitely planned for Quake). A 3rd party game developer would indeed have a good perspective for such, indeed Sony had Psygnosis build the PlayStation SDK I believe. (at least the western one -the PSX was far more optimized for high-level support in general though, like the 3DO)

Finally, Sony killed any chance Atari had at gradually building up a market they'd started to establish and Atari never ended up suing over the price dumping as threatened: plans had changed with Sam's heart attack and Jack took over again with the family deciding to get out of the buisness, and thanks to the success of the Jaguar at that critical 1993/1994 period getting them out of debit and helping to wind the Sega lawsuit, they were able to liquidate Atari Corp very favorably and left the Tramiels very well off.

As for the 7800... I wouldn't consider it a failure at all, it sold surprisingly well with the limited game library (nearly 4 million in the US alone) and given the stiff competition and limited marketing budget as well, was profitable, and in every respect a success. Market leader, no, but a commercial success. (not sure if the XEGS or 5200 were though -in terms of net profit I think the XEGS may have been profitable, though it probably confused the market alongside the 7800 and in fact being a rebranded and repackaged 65XE computer)

The 7800 was the best selling game console ever launched by Atari Corp (albeit initially released by Atari Inc) and the 2nd most successful Atari game console, at least in terms of logevity and sales. (the 5200 likely had better market share, but only because the market was smaller compared to Nintendo in the late 80s)

32x was a problem solely because it was mutually exclusive with the Saturn being released at the same time, dividing resources for development and marketing and further stretching the company who'd already been supporting the Master System and Game Gear (very good cross-platform support due to near identical architecture), MD/Genesis, Sega/Mega CD, then the 32x and Saturn.

Either Saturn or 32x alone would have been better, Saturn more so (though neither was ideal -32x was too weak with limited RAM and next to no hardware acceleration and Saturn was too complex and expensive -had they chucked the second VDP and cropped out 1/3 the RAM and possibly cut down a tad more it might have been OK -though not as clean as a simpler console designed from the ground up).

The 32x would have made the most sense had the Saturn been delayed or canceled for a released a year or more later. (say instead of the extensive Saturn redesign in late 93/94, go for a cleaner simpler design aimed at completion a bit later, say more in line with the Dreamcast in design qualities -some have argued just that)

That mess onyl underscores the whole management/bureaucratic mess Sega was in the mid 90s (starting ~1993 finally ending ~1998), most of what Stolar did made sense except that very odd and stupid statement in 1997 (saturn is no our future), it makes absolutely no sense from a marketing perspective. (it was a bit early to start heavily hyping the Dreamcast even in a positive way, but to put the saturn down like that makes no sense for someone in his position)

5200 was more of a symptom of Atari Inc's problems than harmful in its own right. It certainly didn't help (especially in terms of the way it was marketed), but it's only one facet of the much bigger problem at Atari/Warner. (only startign to get addressed by Morgan in late 1983 -unfortunately his initial assessment period and product freeze killed Atari's 1983 holiday sales and opened th emarket for Commodore to steal -on top of the problems with the XL computers the year before)

Edited by kool kitty89

Those 5200 analog controllers are working pretty slick with that new Sinistar cart I just got...

Alright, here's my list:

#5 NES

With a 19-bit Albacore processor and a 23-Gbps doppler sidebus by Cyrix, this blinking toaster burned way too many Pop Tarts for my liking.

#4 Atari 2600

Miniature Golf

#3 ColecoVision

Essentially a Coleco case over a Cisco 2514 router, this 9-bit nextGen system spewed sprites all over my Zenith when merely tugging on the 5-inch long controller cord during a mean game of Galaxian.

#2 Intellivision

That Paper Tiger guy...

#1 Xbox 360

Microsoft

• Like 1