IGNORED

What to do for a power adapter?

tz101

I just got my first Colecovision system with 15 games and expansion module #1, but it is lacking a power brick. Is there any way to rig the power brick from another console to work with the Colecovision? It has four connector pins at the power port on the back so that might not be easy.

you shouldn't have to do that I see them on ebay all the time.

As a matter a fact i think I remember one showing up recently so it is probably still available.

Otherwise I am sure Yurkie or someone that fixes colecovisions has an extra one they can sell you.

No need to make a makeshift one it should be easy for you to get.

Dan

you shouldn't have to do that I see them on ebay all the time.

As a matter a fact i think I remember one showing up recently so it is probably still available.

Otherwise I am sure Yurkie or someone that fixes colecovisions has an extra one they can sell you.

No need to make a makeshift one it should be easy for you to get.

Dan

Kind of a pain to get power supplies. I have about 20 consoles and 8 power supplies. I could use a box full myself. But ColecoDan is right, go on ebay and get one the says tested and working. They are heavy so you will probably end up paying around $20 or $25 shipped.

Please don't try to rig anything up, you will likely fry something. You might also look on craigslist. I got some boxed games for $5 each and a power supply that ended up being a good one for $3 that way.

Edited by Yurkie

You can find original CV power supplies at flea markets, thrifts sometimes.You may already know this,but if you do find one at those places, make absolutely sure you can return it if it doesn't work.I've found tons out there over the years, and out of those, only half were good.The CV power supplies have got to be the faultiest I've ever seen.Someone who's good at electronics can make one for you, I'd keep the old ones though for parts, like the plug that goes to the console.Or order a new one online, 4jays has them.That's where i got my INTV 2 power supply, which is equally hard to find, maybe harder.Like someone already said, you're better off getting one from 4jays, making one yourself can result in a blown CV, if you don't know what you're doing.

Edited by Rik

This has ONLY been posted on here about 10,000 times but I guess no one uses the search function.

#10,001

The CV can use any ATX PC power supply. They're only available everywhere, where computer parts are sold, in every city, town, province.

Or, even better, buy a switching arcade power supply off ebay or from a local arcade shop. These are better quality with more consistent output than the ancient, now flaky and out-of-spec Coleco brand power supplies. Buying another Coleco power supply is a gamble IME, since they're so hit and miss. Most "broken" CV consoles are actually fine. They just need a good power supply.

4 arcade power supplies for .99 cents as of 6/28:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2004863685021?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200486368502&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Arcade and ATX PC power supplies do not appear to have the same connector as the Colecovision (I could be wrong), but some of their pins have the same voltage, so they can be easily modded, but they also look ridiculously bulkey.

No, they don't have the same connector, but that's not really a problem. The main problem is finding a PS that puts out the proper voltages. You could cut the cord off a dead CV PS and use it's plug and connect it to the proper wires if you didn't want to mod your CV system. The arcade switching power supplies aren't really bulkier than that CV brick.

My 4jays power adapter arrived today and I am like a kid at Christmas. The Colecovision and expansion module #1 both work flawlessly. Praise God the guy didn't sell me a broken unit.

The directional movement on the controllers is somewhat unresponsive so I will take them apart and try to clean the contacts.