IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

I just checked a few things out.

Classic99 latest revision:

Tombstone City music runs slow, Alpiner music runs slow, system start up BEEP is choppy/broken up

Classic99 QI358

Both tombstone and alpiner music was running slowly for this, however the system start up BEEP was not choppy or broken.

Not that I think this will help any?

Any idea why the opening music in Tombstone City is quicker with Overdrive and Alpiner is just the same ?

It's not on my machine, I just tested it. Probably just the way that the Tombstone code is lining up with the timing versus the Alpiner code. The fixes I made should help that. (I don't have them on my main machine yet, now that I think about it..)

The problem may be the ROM, may be the version of Classic99. A while back I thought there was a bug in the ROM and Marc showed that the fault was indeed mine! So check if you're up to date on Classic99? :)

I still have problems with Robotron even with the newest classic99

I was able to get to wave 8 and then the game locked up on me.

post-22103-0-82675400-1402116971_thumb.png

Mostly a maintenance release - I didn't realize it had been so long. ;)

-TurboForth label updated to 1.2 (binary was already correct)

-Rasmus' ECM sprite support added

-Fix padding when making 379 carts

-add EEPROM test code to ubergrom

-GPU can write to VDP registers

-weak VDP overrun warning

-fix to F18A DPM disable handling

-Fix F18A SIT bit pattern handling

-Fixes to F18A enhanced sprite mode handling thanks to RasmusM

-Debug fix in disk image handler

-updated rendering interface to 32-bit (all filters updated)

-removed unused code from 2xSAI - no need for NASM anymore

-removed DDRAW.LIB dependency (still uses DirectDraw though)

-(checkin only) adding DSK.DISKNAME support to DSR and TurboForth2

-Added new debug hook system (memory only implemented, disabled by default)

-improve timing thread

http://harmlesslion.com/software/classic99

• Like 5

wee, nice big update, many thanks, downloading it right now.

May I suggest somehow polling on startup to see if there is new version available, a option that can be enabled or disabled, this might help in future to make sure everyone is running the latest version, which they upgraded to one that has 'update' notify option in it.

• 3 months later...

Yes, 512k, but I'll be upping that to 2MB shortly (as well as releasing the support for non-inverted ROMs)

When is shortly this time? No idea. Maaaaaybe this week? But next weekend is more free.

No more inverting before burning?! Woohoo!!

Thanks,

Gazoo

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

-EEPROM lock support for UberGROM
-Miscellaneous Audio fixes
-new DAC system added (works for cassette gate bit and high frequency square waves)
-audio mute fixes for menu interactions
-tweak system timing code for more responsiveness
-change debug screen to say 'mask' instead of 'size' on color and pattern tables in bitmap mode

Rasmus, I think this will fix your old audio complaint on breakpoints -- I am guessing you used the menu instead of F1, and the menu had a bad habit of re-enabling audio no matter what was done in the option itself.

Also adds the DAC support and fixes a few audio tweaks. I couldn't exactly remember what the fault with Sabrewulf was, but I /believe/ that fix in rolled up in here too. Finally - the issue of music playing slowly sometimes SHOULD also be addressed here, there was a case where the VDP interrupt would sometimes run at half speed, depending on too many variables to reliably reproduce.

To hear the DAC stuff, you can run Perfect Push, my old TMNT game if you have that, Sound F/X (I couldn't locate a copy but it SHOULD work)... and that's all that I know of that actually used digitized sound on the console. ;) (And, of course, the new Spaceballs demo ;) ).

• Like 3

Meant to add that I also updated my image converter to allow command-line conversion of images, which I needed for the animation stuff (http://harmlesslion.com/software/convert9918), and my 'dircmd' tool was updated to spawn multiple processes at once for the same reason, though most people probably already have a scripting tool they like. (http://harmlesslion.com/software/dircmd)

• Like 2

Rasmus, I think this will fix your old audio complaint on breakpoints -- I am guessing you used the menu instead of F1, and the menu had a bad habit of re-enabling audio no matter what was done in the option itself.

Great stuff. But unfortunately the sound problem is still not fixed. To reproduce it I just have to start any program with sound, open the debugger, press F1 to Pause (which will stop the sound), and then minimize the Classic window. Now the last two seconds of the sound will be played repeatedly until I go back to Classic and press F1 again.

I don't think I ever caught the 'minimize' step before. That's an easy fix. Same deal again, old code aggressively re-enabling audio (indeed, for any sizing event. Left over from muting audio at the start of a window size event, which I haven't done for a while). ;) One line fix.

New version 376:

-No longer blindly unmutes audio when re-sizing window (including minimize) - audited other mute/unmute locations

-No longer unpauses breakpoints when opening debugger (this one was annoying me ;) )

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Classic99 377 and 378 ;)

Classic99 378

-Fixes for DAC with non-standard CPU speed
-large file hack fixes
-crash fix for loading 378 files larger than max (2MB)
-Fixes to make big file hack work with files of arbitrary size.

Note I did not increase the cartridge size in this one, the maximum cartridge is still 2MB.

• Like 6