IGNORED

Classic99 Updates

Tursi

On the permissions thing, it reminds me a lot of a fight I'm having with my own system. I encrypted my file system while I was in China, and attempted to undo that on return. It didn't clear all the flags, and won't let me on some folders, meaning that in some folders when a new file is created, it's created encrypted.

I wonder if Windows is doing something similar to you. Just for kicks, try creating a new folder and copying your Classic99 work and emulator into it, and see if the same thing happens?

• Like 1

If you accidently open two classic99s you might run into a file locking issue.. on any ver of windows..

Greg

I run two (or more!) instances quite often, do you have a scenario in which you've experienced such a problem? Again, if you aren't writing, you shouldn't.

probably having a file open and then trying to open it in the 2nd instance would be one..

just tossing it out as an idea.. Richard may be duplicating windows/effort..

Reasonable expectation, but it's unlikely. Classic99 doesn't hold the Windows file open. All file operations happen in RAM, access to the real disk is performed only on the initial OPEN or the final CLOSE (this only if writing). If that was the case, you'd get an error in the debug log, and it would certainly not make any changes that you need to fix in the Windows Explorer permissions Window.

I can find no reason to support that your permissions issue is Classic99, I don't write to the disk except when you save a file. I haven't changed anything that would impact that -- you have full source for the emulator. If you can find /anything/ in there that touches file permissions I'll fix it.

I can't even suggest what it might be, I've not heard of that issue... but I think a Google search would be in order there.

Okay... so from TI Editor/Assembler GPL@LOADER loads ORXB6 without any issue. If I select RXB2015E from the menu, then start with menu, the select Editor Assembler (deliberately going the long way to give the bug the most chances to reveal), then run GPL@LOADER, then load ORXB6, it also works. I also tried directly to REA from the main menu.

I tried both with the TI controller hack enabled and disabled, no change. The loaded RXB seems to run fine.

Now, one thing I /did/ note, if I /only/ enable GRAM on >C000, then at the very end of the load GPL@LOADER reports "NO GRAM", as if it tried to spill over into >E000. Is /that/ the issue you are seeing? (I wouldn't describe that as a crash, despite the noise it makes ;) ). If I enable both >C000 and >E000 it loads successfully.

For that case, the last record is loading (according to the screen) at >DFEA, so if the last record loads more than 21 bytes, it would indeed spill over. I can't explain why the disk changes would affect that - are you sure that's the only difference?

Ok I will attempt to move all my TI99/4A stuff to another Windows 10 drive I have on this computer. I REALLY HATE WINDOWS 10!

• Like 1

On the permissions thing, it reminds me a lot of a fight I'm having with my own system. I encrypted my file system while I was in China, and attempted to undo that on return. It didn't clear all the flags, and won't let me on some folders, meaning that in some folders when a new file is created, it's created encrypted.

I wonder if Windows is doing something similar to you. Just for kicks, try creating a new folder and copying your Classic99 work and emulator into it, and see if the same thing happens?

Yea hilarious it worked then with one reboot did the same exact thing as the previous files did. Windows 10 is just a piece of crap OS!

I found in Windows 7 and beyond that a newly formatted extra drive usually lacks the permissions necessary for a regular user or user process to manipulate files. I would constantly get the UAC prompt for administrator permissions just to copy a file, and forget about using a program which worked with the drive directly. Ultimately, the inheritable permission at the root of the drive (or starting with a child directory) for Users with Full Permissions would fix the problem. You can be more specific and use your login user instead of "Users" or use Modify permissions to be safer.

Try this at the root of your drive (I recommend testing on another drive, like a freshly-formatted NTFS USB devices, or one converted from FAT32):

icacls . /t /c /q /reset /grant:r Users:F

You can also backup the existing ACLs just in case something gets screwed up:

icacls . /save %userprofile%\Documents\DriveACLs /q /t

icacls . /restore %userprofile%\Documents\DriveACLs /q

the /t recurses into child directories, /q suppresses success notifications (handy if you have a shyt-tonne of files,) /c if included will continue past errors. Remember you must run these in an administrator command prompt.

ACLs on my D: drive which allow me to manipulate the contents of the drive without UAC prompts:

D:\>icacls .
. BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
  BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
  NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(M)
  NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(M)
  BUILTIN\Users:(RX)
  BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)

Here I actually used "Authenticated Users". This group is users which have authenticated via a login process, essentially the same unless you are on a network. You could also use "Interactive Users" group, instead. Six-and-one-half for a stand-alone machine.

Oh, and one thing I neglected is the (OI)(CI)(IO) special modifiers. These are Object-Inherit, Container-Inherit, and Inherit-Only. They have special meaning for inheritance. Now, I have not used them in the icacls command, but if you have to include them, the command would be thus:

icacls . /t /c /q /reset /grant:r Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)

You can see how permissions affects child files and directories (folders) if you run the icacls command against them specifically:

icacls foldername

icacls filename

• Like 2

Ok after doing a ton of investigation on what is going on I discovered a real bug in Windows 10 they know about but have no intention of fixing it.

Turns out it is tied to your microsoft account and if you are using it or a have changed to a Local Account.

When a microsoft ad or update or access to something like Itunes is used it just randomly turns files into READ ONLY!

This gets insanely frustrating over time as it seems so random. But once you make it a Local Account this stops.

• Like 1

Ok after doing a ton of investigation on what is going on I discovered a real bug in Windows 10 they know about but have no intention of fixing it.

Turns out it is tied to your microsoft account and if you are using it or a have changed to a Local Account.

When a microsoft ad or update or access to something like Itunes is used it just randomly turns files into READ ONLY!

This gets insanely frustrating over time as it seems so random. But once you make it a Local Account this stops.

Sadly, no surprise there. That damned Microsoft account crap has caused me much vexation. When you set up a new 8/10 installation the option to not use a Microsoft account is present but you have to scroll down and find it in very small font. Even then, you are pressured into signing in with a Microsoft account to use some of the functionality.

As of Windows 8.1, Microsoft removed the Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard (MigWiz) we so loved and used frequently. You can use the Windows 7 version, however, and though it may crash at the end it does complete. Microsoft's official stance is with Windows' integration into OneDrive the FAST wizard is redundant.

• Like 1

Somewhat still OT for this thread, but Win10 also proves to be quite some pain for me. I have it on some computers as a dual boot installation with Linux. This used to work pretty flawlessly for the last 20 years.

Since the last patches on Windows 7 and now, obviously, on a more regular base in Win 10, some updates fail and are automatically rolled back. I can only do the update when I set the active flag in the partition table on the Windows partition. That is, every time I have such an update, I have to use fdisk to change the partition table flags, let the update run, change the partition flags again to activate the extended partition where the GRUB loader for Linux is installed. It seems as if the updater tries to find the Windows partition by using the partition data.

Not sure whether this is an everyday job to everyone else, maybe it's only me who thinks this is a nuisance, but Windows has never been more intolerant to dual installations.

• Like 3

I keep having issues with floppy drives on my Win10 laptops. Reads and writes fail without rhyme or reason, Plus forget trying to get track image copiers to work properly. I have to boot my old X220 into Win7 to use the drives reliably. On the other hand, everything else works in 10, including my eprommer.

I've noticed something recently. In tracking down this bug I have in a game I'm working on via classic99. I setup a breakpoint in the program via a numbered XB line (not the c99 debugger). At a specific point it breaks normal but generates a wierd tone and the sound (TI sounds) sometimes cycles through slowly to other random noises. classic 99 appears to be working fine except the noises.to I type run to run my game again and as soon as my game generates a sound - everything is normal.

I've never experienced that before.

I was going to screen record it but I don't have screen recording setup yet. I'm boycotting nVidia like a 5 year old until I feel like registering an on-line account for their gforce experience "free" software to screen record with (shadowplay). This is new, I used to screen record all the time with version 2, but as soon as v3 came out, log in account required..... *kicks the dirt*walks away.....

I have to say that even as a Microsoft advocate (these days), 8 and especially 10 is a big disappointment for me. When they rolled out 7 I actually crowed that they'd finally gotten everything right, 7 felt perfect at the time (to me).

8 was crap and I tried it and rolled back, and it seemed like for 10 that they learned their lesson. They fixed some things but then integrated it so tightly with the online crap that even I couldn't handle it. I kept it for nearly the month I had before I rolled it back. Very sad... at this point I'm seriously considering whether even I need to roll over to Linux on my desktop. ;)

Weird on your sound bug Sinphaltimus -- for screen recording software I've been quite fond of "Open Broadcaster Software" (https://obsproject.com/). I see now that the version I've been running is 'OBS Classic' now, so I can't promise the current version is awesome, but it's free, it's open source if that matters to you, and it works. ;) Has Mac and Linux versions too - I've used the Mac one in the past.

• Like 4

Somewhat still OT for this thread, but Win10 also proves to be quite some pain for me. I have it on some computers as a dual boot installation with Linux. This used to work pretty flawlessly for the last 20 years.

Since the last patches on Windows 7 and now, obviously, on a more regular base in Win 10, some updates fail and are automatically rolled back. I can only do the update when I set the active flag in the partition table on the Windows partition. That is, every time I have such an update, I have to use fdisk to change the partition table flags, let the update run, change the partition flags again to activate the extended partition where the GRUB loader for Linux is installed. It seems as if the updater tries to find the Windows partition by using the partition data.

Not sure whether this is an everyday job to everyone else, maybe it's only me who thinks this is a nuisance, but Windows has never been more intolerant to dual installations.

mine decided that windows workstation was not going to work anymore.. and i use samba shares so .. bye bye windows 10 their solution was to REINSTALL 10.. I reinstalled 7 instead.. I'll live without updates

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1

Yea the only reason I upgraded to Windows 10 was Google Chrome will no longer be supported on Windows 7 or 8 and at least will still be able to be used on Windows 10 version 1511 that I am using.

Of course Version 1607 is the new one giving everyone nothing but problems today which I can never put on this computer due to the changes in the file system and my using a Mac Pro Tower.

Yea the only reason I upgraded to Windows 10 was Google Chrome will no longer be supported on Windows 7 or 8 and at least will still be able to be used on Windows 10 version 1511 that I am using.

Do you have a link to this information? This is relevant to my customers and I cannot find anything officially mentioning end-of-life for Chrome on Windows 7.

Well Microsoft will support Windows 7 till 2020 then it ends, but security updates for Windows 7 has already ended this October.

Google Chrome has stated they ended XP and Vista and OS X support already. (Old versions of OS X like Lion)

Likely just before 2020 you will see all support from Google Chrome end for Windows 7, a year before XP ended support Chrome had quit support.

So I would estimate you would see the last Google Chrome support for Windows 7 in 2019 and for Windows 8 in 2021.

Edited by RXB

Just for what it's worth, although mainstream support for Windows 7 is over, extended support continues until 2020. Extended support DOES include security updates. Even Vista is still in extended support (though only for 6 more months.) So you're good for now, ArcadeShopper! :)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17140/support-lifecycle-policy-faq

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

• Like 2