IGNORED

database software ?

twh/f2

Hello *,

I recently thought about creating a very simple CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) application to manage my highscores on the atari with entities like Users, Games, Scores, Tournaments etc. I want to avoid some external tooling on the pc or something simliar on the web. since years I'm now working in the java enterprise industry where it is all about managing data in and out of databases. with that background I thought I how nice it would be to have applications with a relational database on the 8bit atari.

I quickly checked Atarmania for database products/solutions from the 80s. I found programs like SynFile+, Mini Office, Austro.Base. However none of these programs could be used to create data-driven applications with the flexibility of data-query language like SQL. Actually most of them are "record based" and thus not relational.

Does anybody know of any (commercial or freeware) relational databases for the 8bit?

Does anybody know about open source / freeware mini-databases which could be ported to the atari? Maybe with CC65?

grtx,

\twh

There's mSQL, but thats probably too big & complex to port, and has an annoying license. There's some stuff on aminet, here

This one seems like a likely candidate for the Atari, since it's not too big.

...or, with your experience, I'm sure that you could write one from scratch. It would be a fast program to implement under LISP, if you are feeling adventurous.

• 9 years later...

Home Filing Manager, it a bit basic as it's a freeform card, but it has search facilities, I used this program back in the 80's

as an address database. Think I still have the original disk somewhere and the data disk.

There was a database using Btrieve for my PC, it came with the source code and you compiled what you wanted

using 'C' , unfortunately I can't remember what it was called, but was thinking it may be possible to get this (if I can find it)

to compile under cc65, I know it my be bigger than 64k, but maybe run with 1M expanded memory.

I used this on my first PC's when main memory was very small, maybe 1 to 4 MB.

Edited by TGB1718
Update
  • Like 1

There was a french A8 webpage that had an A8 database program to save and collect A8 highscores, amongst other stuff. Thought it was the Phoenix/Galaga webpage, but could not find it there (maybe its not available there anymore?). Searched for Pierre Faller's webpage and also could not find it there. Search continues...

31 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Yes, that was the one!  Or that subpage of it: http://pvb.free.fr/Atari/atari_pg2.htm

It contains a program to save highscores, but most-likely not what twh is searching (and it is using french language)... the downloads for these programs are there: http://pvb.free.fr/Atari/atari_pg5.php#6

In my collection I have dozens of A8 databases (and calc programs like Visicalc, Syncalc, Speedcalc, BBK Calc, etc. can be used as databases too I think, just like Excel), some are for vinyl records, some for CD's, some for MC's/tapes, some for stamps, some for magazines/books, etc. some are just general databases, like Antic / Analog / Page 6 databases, etc. and some are just PD databases for 48k, 64k or upgraded machines. I never used any of them, so I do not know if one of them could be what twh is searching for...

2 hours ago, redman said:

The Indus GT drives came with software.  One program was The Gt Data Manager.  I never used it and I think it was written in BASIC so it may not meet your needs.  Anyway, it's an option.

http://retrobits.net/atari/indus.shtml

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/GT_Data_Manager.pdf

That may help.

What I want is something that will keep track of each time I give someone $20.00 to hold their phone. They pay $5.00 per week interest. I may have to look for a database in BASIC and modify it to my needs. I wrote a mailing list database back in the day, but it was RAM based instead of disk based. That means it has very limited capacity and can't handle a large number of records.