The Official Atari 2800 Owners List!

nofrills100

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an Atari branded 2800?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

It came with this power supply and it appears to be the correct power supply for the console.

IMG_3539.jpeg

IMG_3540.jpeg

Yes, but you will notice the voltage input is rated only for 100v. House holds here in the US are 115v - 117v with many like the 'Tower' actually providing around 125v from my outlets. So it is advisable to use a step down transformer when using JPN PSUs on US outlets. That said... I would need to verify the jack but I'm pretty sure I've just always used a 5200 PSU to power these models. As they are an AC PSU, the console has the needed rectification inside it to convert the power back to DC that it then feeds into the same standard 7805 regulator that has been used forever. So a DC supply can also be used without issue just like an original NES.

When mine gets here I could check to see what kind of voltage that brick's putting out. Some Japanese PSUs are fine and dandy with 120V, but there are a few (i.e. Famicom HVC-002) which do put out considerably higher voltage and heat with 120V. In those cases it's honestly much better to use a different PSU than go through the trouble of using a stepdown converter.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:41 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes, but you will notice the voltage input is rated only for 100v. House holds here in the US are 115v - 117v with many like the 'Tower' actually providing around 125v from my outlets. So it is advisable to use a step down transformer when using JPN PSUs on US outlets. That said... I would need to verify the jack but I'm pretty sure I've just always used a 5200 PSU to power these models. As they are an AC PSU, the console has the needed rectification inside it to convert the power back to DC that it then feeds into the same standard 7805 regulator that has been used forever. So a DC supply can also be used without issue just like an original NES.

I actually do have a step down converter as well as, a couple of SVA PSUs, but I’d rather use the appropriate PSU with the converter.

IMG_3589.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

1 hour ago, ApolloBoy said:

While we're on the subject of power supplies, I've noticed that the 2800s that I keep seeing for sale in Mexico have the same one bundled with the SVA II, like this one here: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-2034862996-atari-2800-_JM

I'm curious if anyone else has one of these Mexican 2800s...

Interesting, I didn't know they sold the 2800 in Mexico. I thought it was Japan only.

The power supply make sense though, since it is a North American power supply.

Mitch

13 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Interesting, I didn't know they sold the 2800 in Mexico. I thought it was Japan only.

There seems to be quite a few of them for sale on Mercado Libre at any given moment. From some of the other evidence I've seen thus far, they seem to be internally identical to the SVA II (meaning their RF modulators are tuned for US channels 2 and 3) and not just Japanese 2800s dumped in another market. Another interesting thing I noticed is that the PSU in the lot I linked to has a 1984 date code (1884), so the 2800 might have been released there in the months leading up to the Tramiel switchover.

My 2800 arrived today, everything was accounted for and in very good shape. As promised, I checked out the PSU and it was putting out close to 12V AC without a load. However, when I plugged it into the 2800 and measured the voltage input to the 7805, I was getting about 13.5V DC and the heat sink got pretty toasty as a result. Definitely wouldn't recommend using the original Japanese AC adapter unless you need to perform a quick test or something.

Also, I was curious about the RF modulator since it seems to be the only internal difference between the Japanese 2800 and the SVA II. It's part number CA019628 which I found zero information on, so this is definitely a 2800-specific part and not a typical 2600 RF modulator that was simply retuned.

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg